Basic Advice wanted

Old July 28th 06, 07:18 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mike Saunders

Default Basic Advice wanted

just trying to make sense of VOIP and would like some guidance

I have a LAN with 2 PC's on a 4 port Ethernet router ( & combined ADSL
modem but No Qos) ). My ISP is Plusnet.

I would like to run 2 phones with 1 or both being VOIP. I believe I
still have to to the keep line rental with BT so I could stick with
BT's Option 1 and use this to receive calls and make emergency calls
out. What I do want is for the 2nd phone to have its own ring tone and
number as I currently have the Call Sign service with BT

If I use the VOIP phone to make ALL calls out would my contacts think
to ring back on this No or could I get them to use the BT phone No
where appropriate

If only one call at a time is made out with the VOIP phone/s then is it
reasonable to share this with say 1 PC using the internet (no Qos)

Any recommendations for the best solution hardware + service providers
most welcome

Many thanks

Mike

Old July 28th 06, 09:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Mike Saunders brought next idea :
just trying to make sense of VOIP and would like some guidance

I have a LAN with 2 PC's on a 4 port Ethernet router ( & combined ADSL
modem but No Qos) ). My ISP is Plusnet.

Not a major issue, having no QoS - you have control of your own network
- you can't, afterall, add QoS to any packets once they've left your
network & are out in the wild.

I would like to run 2 phones with 1 or both being VOIP.

Do you want two separate handsets? Like having two lines?

I believe I
still have to to the keep line rental with BT so I could stick with
BT's Option 1 and use this to receive calls and make emergency calls
out.

Unless you can get cable broadband, or want to move line rental to a
lower priced (not necessarily better) BT wholesale provider.

What I do want is for the 2nd phone to have its own ring tone and
number as I currently have the Call Sign service with BT

Perhaps you could port your callsign number to a voip provider? If
you've got two phones, just get one with a different or selectable
ringer. If you're going to use an analogue telephone adapter, or IP
phone, you can customise the ringing cadences anyway.

If I use the VOIP phone to make ALL calls out would my contacts think
to ring back on this No or could I get them to use the BT phone No
where appropriate

There are some providers who would let you present your BT number on
your VoIP line, if you want.

If only one call at a time is made out with the VOIP phone/s then is it
reasonable to share this with say 1 PC using the internet (no Qos)

Would you be caning the upload/download limits of your connection? you
don't explicitly state your speeds!

Any recommendations for the best solution hardware + service providers
most welcome

If you want to have separate phones for VoIP & regular PSTN, the Sipura
SPA1001 is a great piece of kit (one phone two VoIP accounts).
Otherwise the SPA3102 would combine PSTN & VoIP and provide a number of
other advantages, such as you can dial in over VoIP remotely,
authenticate with PIN & dial out on your PSTN (or v.v)

If you want /two/ distinct VoIP lines, an SPA2000 gives you two
independant phone ports. (two phones, two accounts)

Many thanks

Mike

Old July 28th 06, 10:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Mike Saunders

Do you want two separate handsets? Like having two lines?

Yes I do but am trying to emulate Call Sign if possible ie only pay for
1 line but have it look to the outside world as if it were 2
independant lines and nos, if not possible to do this with VOIP then I
need to balance cost of 1 VOIP + I PSTN versus 2 x VOIP Just not sure
of all the optins and variables etc

Unless you can get cable broadband, or want to move line rental to a
lower priced (not necessarily better) BT wholesale provider.

No cable option available here Bit cautious about moving away from BT
for rental Any recommendations?

If I use the VOIP phone to make ALL calls out would my contacts
think to ring back on this No or could I get them to use the BT
phone No where appropriate

There are some providers who would let you present your BT number on
your VoIP line, if you want.

Thats good to know Any names?

If only one call at a time is made out with the VOIP phone/s then
is it reasonable to share this with say 1 PC using the internet (no
Qos)

Would you be caning the upload/download limits of your connection?
you don't explicitly state your speeds!

I have 1Mb down and 256K up at the moment but I think this is going to
improve from Plusnet

Thanks

Mike
Old July 28th 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Mike Saunders wrote :

Do you want two separate handsets? Like having two lines?

Yes I do but am trying to emulate Call Sign if possible ie only pay for
1 line but have it look to the outside world as if it were 2
independant lines and nos, if not possible to do this with VOIP then I
need to balance cost of 1 VOIP + I PSTN versus 2 x VOIP Just not sure
of all the optins and variables etc

Well, if you have no option other than ADSL for your broadband, then
you can't go the 2 VoIP and no PSTN route.

Unless you can get cable broadband, or want to move line rental to a
lower priced (not necessarily better) BT wholesale provider.

No cable option available here Bit cautious about moving away from BT
for rental Any recommendations?

For what it's worth, if you're going to retain a PSTN line, you should
jkeep your rental with BT, CPS your evening & weekend calls with Primun
(no charges for calls upto 90 minutes each to 01/02 numbers & no
monthly fee) and use 1899, 18185, or 18855 prefixes for daytime calls
(actually I think only two of them are worth using these days, though
you'll have to check out their rates)

www.voip.co.uk or www.gradwell.com

If only one call at a time is made out with the VOIP phone/s then
is it reasonable to share this with say 1 PC using the internet (no
Qos)

Would you be caning the upload/download limits of your connection?
you don't explicitly state your speeds!

I have 1Mb down and 256K up at the moment but I think this is going to
improve from Plusnet

Aren't they the lot that mailed their database of customer contact
details to 20000 customers?

1Mb down, 256 up will be fine for two (or more) simultaneaous VoIP
calls. You will soon discover what you can do at the same time on other
networked equipment before call quality is affected (without a QoS
router)

Thanks

Mike

Old July 28th 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Jono

Jono used his keyboard to write :

Dodgy keyboard!

jkeep

keep

Primun

Primus

Old July 28th 06, 11:24 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip
{{{{{Welcome}}}}}

Thus spaketh Jono:
Jono used his keyboard to write :

Dodgy keyboard!

jkeep

keep

Primun

Primus

Primus Saver Option 2:
http://www.planet-talk.co.uk/SaverPr...x?source=saver

Call 1899: www.call1899.co.uk

Call 18185: www.call18185.co.uk

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old July 29th 06, 12:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Adam Aglionby

Mike Saunders wrote:
[...]

Plug in a headset and try it out with a softphone, free UK geo number:

http://www.voiptalk.org/products/really_voip

Adam

Old July 29th 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip
Red Dave

Primus Saver Option 2:
http://www.planet-talk.co.uk/SaverPr...x?source=saver

Join through Uswitch via Quido and get 16 cashback for the pleasure! (or
11 if first time using Quidco).

Use something like http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert.com/ to ensure
you're using the cheapest call providers.

By the way, the Post Office are currently allowing the use of indirect
access numbers (1899 and 18185). Their line rental is 1 cheaper than BT.
Can't use any CPS provider with them (hence no Primus). You could get 80
for joining when they launched. Might be worthwhile looking around for
deals in the future (and from other providers).

RDD.