Is there any money in being a Network Guru?

Old July 28th 06, 11:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Steve Olive

Default Is there any money in being a Network Guru?

I was just wondering where the money is made these days...

Programming can be shipped to Asia
Selling hardware seems to have minimal/zero profit margins
Every monkey and his dog is building websites.

Could a man with some talent make decent money from knowing his onions as
far as networks are concerned?

(Not that I'm any good, but I have time and a desire to learn)

Just pondering whilst I finish a fine bottle of Cava.

Old July 29th 06, 10:20 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
deKay

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Fri, 28 Jul
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Steve Olive"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

Could a man with some talent make decent money from knowing his onions as
far as networks are concerned?

I expect so. Plenty of people now have home networks (or rather, would like
home networks), and wireless is commonplace. Thing is, not many people know
how to set it all up right. In the last 12 months I've wirelessly networked
three houses and wired and wirelessly networked a small business. I didn't
charge anything (the business was a charity and the homes were friends), but
there is clearly demand.

I'd imagine there is a market, but whether there's a market in your area, is
another matter.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk [Gamertag: deKay 01]
Gaming Diary: www.lofi-gaming.org.uk/diary/
Old July 29th 06, 11:57 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article , Steve Olive
says...
I was just wondering where the money is made these days...

Programming can be shipped to Asia
Selling hardware seems to have minimal/zero profit margins
Every monkey and his dog is building websites.

Could a man with some talent make decent money from knowing his onions as
far as networks are concerned?

The money is in new business startups where you can sell and install a
full solution. They've got bags of money/grants, want the
biggest/fastest everything and are still excited about the new
business.

Helps if you can find a muppet to do the cabling for you. Saves you
doing the **** work crawling through narrow access spaces etc.

--
Conor

"No trilogy should have more than four books" - Arthur C. Clarke
Old July 29th 06, 01:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Rob Walker

"Conor" wrote in message
t...
In article , Steve Olive
says...
I was just wondering where the money is made these days...

Programming can be shipped to Asia
Selling hardware seems to have minimal/zero profit margins
Every monkey and his dog is building websites.

Could a man with some talent make decent money from knowing his onions as
far as networks are concerned?

The money is in new business startups where you can sell and install a
full solution. They've got bags of money/grants, want the
biggest/fastest everything and are still excited about the new
business.

Helps if you can find a muppet to do the cabling for you. Saves you
doing the **** work crawling through narrow access spaces etc.

I work for a medium sized company who offer network/IT solutions and my time
gets charged out at 750 a day (plus VAT). This is for installing servers,
setting up MS Exchange etc etc.

Old July 29th 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

"Rob Walker" wrote in message
news
I work for a medium sized company who offer network/IT solutions and my
time gets charged out at 750 a day (plus VAT). This is for installing
servers, setting up MS Exchange etc etc.

Technical Support used to be a well paid job, manned by knowledgeable
people, but these days, anyone who can read a computer screen, and install
AOL is employed, undermining the genuine professional's ability to command a
sensible salary.

I wouldn't look at your job/income as secure, at least not long term.

The local college in my locality is offering an ICT technician's role at
less then 12k a year, but want someone who knows web site design, PHP,
Exchange, hardware/software maintenance/installation, and TCP/IP networking.

Of course, someone will take the job on, which in turn will allow the
college to lower wages for future IT positions.

Old July 29th 06, 03:41 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Dr Zoidberg

Steve Olive wrote:
I was just wondering where the money is made these days...

Programming can be shipped to Asia
Selling hardware seems to have minimal/zero profit margins
Every monkey and his dog is building websites.

Could a man with some talent make decent money from knowing his
onions as far as networks are concerned?

The CCIEs we employ would agree that you can.
Hell , I've just got a CCNA and MCSE and do OK for myself

--
Alex

Piece by piece the penguins have taken my sanity
www.drzoidberg.co.uk www.ebayfaq.co.uk

Old July 29th 06, 07:45 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article , Rob
Walker says...

I work for a medium sized company who offer network/IT solutions and my time
gets charged out at 750 a day (plus VAT). This is for installing servers,
setting up MS Exchange etc etc.

That's where the money is - not in installing cabling.

Old July 29th 06, 07:55 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 19:45:35 +0100, Conor
wrote the following to uk.comp.home-networking:

In article , Rob
Walker says...

I work for a medium sized company who offer network/IT solutions and my time
gets charged out at 750 a day (plus VAT). This is for installing servers,
setting up MS Exchange etc etc.

That's where the money is - not in installing cabling.

Not to mention network design. Work has contracts on some of the biggest IT
projects in the UK and there's never a shortage of jobs available for people
who can design networks even without having to wire cables and install
hardware and software. A lot of server builds are done with something like
Ghost, and they still need someone to write DDDs and other technical
documents.

mh.
--
http://www.nukesoft.co.uk
http://personal.nukesoft.co.uk

From address is a blackhole. Reply-to address is valid.
Old July 29th 06, 08:18 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Rob Walker wrote:

I work for a medium sized company who offer network/IT solutions and
my time gets charged out at 750 a day (plus VAT). This is for
installing servers, setting up MS Exchange etc etc.

Yep. I cost people 800+VAT a day for network and wireless installations
which lots of companies are more than willing to pay.

Old July 30th 06, 12:04 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Tx2" wrote in message

"Rob Walker" wrote in message
news
I work for a medium sized company who offer network/IT solutions and my
time gets charged out at 750 a day (plus VAT). This is for installing
servers, setting up MS Exchange etc etc.

Technical Support used to be a well paid job, manned by knowledgeable
people, but these days, anyone who can read a computer screen, and install
AOL is employed, undermining the genuine professional's ability to command
a sensible salary.

I wouldn't look at your job/income as secure, at least not long term.

The local college in my locality is offering an ICT technician's role at
less then 12k a year, but want someone who knows web site design, PHP,
Exchange, hardware/software maintenance/installation, and TCP/IP
networking.

Of course, someone will take the job on, which in turn will allow the
college to lower wages for future IT positions.

I Didn't say I earnt anywhere near that :-) The company's been in existance
for 25 years, we're good at what we do, and business is increasing. We're
also not the most expensive either.