Wireless networking and cordless phones

Old July 29th 06, 08:24 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Adam

Default Wireless networking and cordless phones

Hello everyone

I've just moved into a house which, strangely, has only one phone socket.
Rather than get into extensive cabling, I thought I would go wireless.

I have successfully set up a wireless connection between my internet router
and a PC in another room. I'd now like to have some more phones. If I buy a
set of cordless phones, do I have to worry about interference between my
wireless PC connection and the phones? I've done a Google search which
suggests this can be a problem, although I can't help feeling that my
situation must be so common these days that the cordless phone manufacturers
must have been putting some thought into this in recent months. Is this
something I have to worry about when choosing a wireless phone? If so, are
there any particular kinds of phone which are more or less likely to cause
problems?

Since I have only the 1 phone socket and connect to the internet through
ADSL, it is inevitable that the wireless internet router and the phone base
station are going to be reasonably close together.

Many thanks
Adam

Old July 29th 06, 08:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

Adam wrote in
:

[...]

I run two DECT phones (from different base stations - one upstairs and one
downstairs) and they don't seem to affect my wireless network. I do have
occasional one-minute dropouts on the wireless connection from my laptop to
my router (a ping -t shows 12 consecutive "no reply" responses), *but* this
only affects that laptop and not any other, and it happens even when both
DECT phones are unplugged from the mains. One of the DECT phones is about 3
feet from the router.

Old July 29th 06, 10:34 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 08:37:38 +0100, "Martin Underwood" [email protected] wrote:

Adam wrote in
:

[...]

As your Google search has shown , there is the possibility of
interference as the radio bands used by DECT phones and WLAN are
similar. Its not something the DECT manufacturers can do anything
about.

However I like Martin, and probably most people, dont have problems
even with the DECT base station next to the Wirelss router.

Its one of those things to consider if and when you are having
problems especially when using the WLAN at the limit of its range.
Moving the Wireless router away using one of these cheap thin phone
extension cables which tucks under the edge of the carpet is one
answer.

Robert

Robert
Old July 29th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

lid wrote in
:

[...]

If you do find that you get interference between DECT and wireless LAN, try
selecting a different wireless network channel: you *may* find that the
interference is less of problem at some frequencies than other.