MaxDSL shambles

Old July 29th 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
www.amstereoradio.info

Default MaxDSL shambles

Well after almost 4 weeks of dodgy up and conenctions and then in the last
week sending back speedtests back to BT as my ISP wanted even though my
speed has gone up and down like a yo yo BT say they are totally satisfied
with my connection... Bull !

I have had anything between 150kbps and about 4.5kbps, currenty on 1.88mbps.
They say it is the quality of the line beoween me and my exchange. BUT my
router setup screen often says about 6688 for download speed with 4 - db
noise etc. Should / will BT ever upgrade the line I wonder IF this is the
reason ? I am only 1.46km as the crow files from my exchange

Is there anything I can do apart from switching my ISP but then in reality
I'm not really switicng anything as it always is down to BT obviously. I
thought this BRAS profile from BT is meant to sort things out, would my ISP
have this ?

I think ISP's like Be internet and UK online use their own lines, maybe this
is the way to go ?

Old July 29th 06, 12:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband
Flying Rat

In article , www.amstereoradio.info says...
Well after almost 4 weeks of dodgy up and conenctions and then in the last
week sending back speedtests back to BT as my ISP wanted even though my
speed has gone up and down like a yo yo BT say they are totally satisfied
with my connection... Bull !

I have had anything between 150kbps and about 4.5kbps, currenty on 1.88mbps.
They say it is the quality of the line beoween me and my exchange. BUT my
router setup screen often says about 6688 for download speed with 4 - db
noise etc. Should / will BT ever upgrade the line I wonder IF this is the
reason ? I am only 1.46km as the crow files from my exchange

means nothing.
You could be 1km from the exchange as the vulture flies, but 10km in
wiring terms.

If your noise margin is only 4 then you have a pointer right there. 6 or
above is better, below that and instability/errors creep in. That would
trigger events which could cut your data rate down to compensate.

Is there anything I can do apart from switching my ISP but then in reality
I'm not really switicng anything as it always is down to BT obviously. I
thought this BRAS profile from BT is meant to sort things out, would my ISP
have this ?

chances are you would just drag the problem with you to the next ISP if
it's a congested exchange. If you have demon downloading fourteen year
olds on the same DSLAM, sharing a 60Mbps cable between you, then that
won't make much difference.

remember that old nugget, CONTENTION? It is now a big hairy reality with
fangs and is biting hard.

I think ISP's like Be internet and UK online use their own lines, maybe this
is the way to go ?

could be. It depends on who and what kit they have installed. UKOnline
could end up congested beyond belief very soon as they are part of the
Easynet/Sky setup.

FR
Old July 29th 06, 07:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Flying Rat" wrote in message
In article , www.amstereoradio.info says...
Well after almost 4 weeks of dodgy up and conenctions and then in the
last
week sending back speedtests back to BT as my ISP wanted even though my
speed has gone up and down like a yo yo BT say they are totally satisfied
with my connection... Bull !

I have had anything between 150kbps and about 4.5kbps, currenty on
1.88mbps.
They say it is the quality of the line beoween me and my exchange. BUT my
router setup screen often says about 6688 for download speed with 4 - db
noise etc. Should / will BT ever upgrade the line I wonder IF this is the
reason ? I am only 1.46km as the crow files from my exchange

means nothing.
You could be 1km from the exchange as the vulture flies, but 10km in
wiring terms.

Maybe 2 or 3 times 1.46 but surely not 10km the fact is I had a 4.5Mb
connection for some days now back down to 1.8Mbit, BT are useless

If your noise margin is only 4 then you have a pointer right there. 6 or
above is better, below that and instability/errors creep in. That would
trigger events which could cut your data rate down to compensate.

You mean 6 or above this figure ? At the moment it says 7gb withDown Stream
of
6560 (Kbps.)

Old July 29th 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"www.amstereoradio.info" wrote:

"Flying Rat" wrote in message

If your noise margin is only 4 then you have a pointer right there. 6 or
above is better, below that and instability/errors creep in. That would
trigger events which could cut your data rate down to compensate.

You mean 6 or above this figure ? At the moment it says 7gb withDown Stream
of 6560 (Kbps.)

I assume that was 7 db. 6 db is the target level and the speed tends to be
pushed up as high as it can be, while still getting 6 db as noise margin.

Unfortunately it varies over the course of a day, and may be in a dip in
the evening, so causing dropouts to increase. A few routers seem to
allow the user to specify the 'minimum acceptable margin' which allows
someone to force a connect to be slower but more reliable.
Old July 29th 06, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

NoNeedToKnow wrote:
"www.amstereoradio.info" wrote:

Unfortunately it varies over the course of a day, and may be in a dip in
the evening, so causing dropouts to increase. A few routers seem to
allow the user to specify the 'minimum acceptable margin' which allows
someone to force a connect to be slower but more reliable.

Yes. Is there a list documenting such routers anywhere ?

--
Mark
Old August 1st 06, 10:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Mark Carver wrote:

Is there a list documenting such routers anywhere ?

someone gave some details here (or ADSLguide) so ...
"Google is your friend" :-)

Billion was one make but I do not remember the model.