DG834G wireless performance problem

Old July 29th 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default DG834G wireless performance problem

Hello,

there must be something wrong with my wireless network configuration on
a Netgear DG834G.
When my laptop is connected through the RJ-45 ports to the router, I
get internet access speeds close to 6Mbit/s (I'm testing the speed
using the ADSL speed test on http://www.adslguide.org.uk).

Now, when I connect the laptop through the wireless interface I get
speeds around 2Mbit/s. Even when I'm transferring files through 2 PC
connected wirelessly on the LAN side the performance is quite poor.

I'm getting headaches from this!! Removing any setting related to
wirelss encription and firewall didn't improve anything.
(note: when I'm testing the laptop is the only device attached to the
router)

The firmware version is the most recent (V4.01.06 I believe).

Do you have any tips? I'm getting crazy!

Cheers
Luke

Old July 29th 06, 12:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Conor

In article . com,
says...
Hello,

there must be something wrong with my wireless network configuration on
a Netgear DG834G.
When my laptop is connected through the RJ-45 ports to the router, I
get internet access speeds close to 6Mbit/s (I'm testing the speed
using the ADSL speed test on http://www.adslguide.org.uk).

Now, when I connect the laptop through the wireless interface I get
speeds around 2Mbit/s. Even when I'm transferring files through 2 PC
connected wirelessly on the LAN side the performance is quite poor.

I'm getting headaches from this!! Removing any setting related to
wirelss encription and firewall didn't improve anything.
(note: when I'm testing the laptop is the only device attached to the
router)

The firmware version is the most recent (V4.01.06 I believe).

Do you have any tips? I'm getting crazy!

What connection speed to the router is the Wifi adapter in the PCs
reporting? Also remember that the Wifi point on the router is a single
connection so if you've two computers using Wifi simultaneously, the
throughput for each computer will only be up to 50% of the max speed.

--
Conor

"No trilogy should have more than four books" - Arthur C. Clarke
Old July 29th 06, 12:29 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Martin Underwood

wrote in message
:

[...]

What speed does the laptop's wireless adaptor say it's connecting at? I've
found that I get, at best, about half the bit rate that the connection
claims to be running at - for example, if it says it's connected at 24 Mbps,
a large file copy to/from a PC connected by Ethernet achieves a maximum of
about 1.2 MB/sec, assuming 1 byte is very roughtly equivalent to 10 bits by
the time you've taken into account TCP overheads. I'm using a Netgear WG511T
wireless adaptor to a Netgear DG834GT router, using ordinary Wireless G (ie
max of 54 Mbps) because I found that 108 Mbps was too prone to interference
from other networks (as well as probably causing interference for them on
most channels, given that 108 is two 54 channels bonded together).

Try repeating your local and internet tests with the PC next to the router
to see if signal strength makes a difference.

Old July 29th 06, 04:24 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
Tx2

"StarEye" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

When I'm doing the tests I'm connected practically at 30cm from the
router.

The radiation patterns from omni-directional antennae are not always
strongest just because you are close.
I doubt this has any reflection on your immediate problem though, but it's
perhaps worth pointing out.

Have you tried changing wireless channels at all?

Old July 29th 06, 05:09 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
StarEye

Tx2 wrote:
"StarEye" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

When I'm doing the tests I'm connected practically at 30cm from the
router.

The radiation patterns from omni-directional antennae are not always
strongest just because you are close.
I doubt this has any reflection on your immediate problem though, but it's
perhaps worth pointing out.

Have you tried changing wireless channels at all?

Tried different positions. tried channels 1, 7, 11 and 13... with no
sensible change in the results... I'm wondering if the problem couldn't
be related to a DG834G.v3 firmware bug.

Next I will try to play with the settings on my laptop wireless
interface and the rwin parameter.

Old July 29th 06, 08:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

StarEye wrote:
Tx2 wrote:
"StarEye" wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

When I'm doing the tests I'm connected practically at 30cm from the
router.

The radiation patterns from omni-directional antennae are not always
strongest just because you are close.
I doubt this has any reflection on your immediate problem though, but it's
perhaps worth pointing out.

Have you tried changing wireless channels at all?

Tried different positions. tried channels 1, 7, 11 and 13... with no
sensible change in the results... I'm wondering if the problem couldn't
be related to a DG834G.v3 firmware bug.

Next I will try to play with the settings on my laptop wireless
interface and the rwin parameter.

OK... at last resort I cascaded another wireless router (a Netgear
WGT624) to the DG834G (the DG834G with the wireless interface turned
off). The wireless parameters were identical.

I reached a speed close to 6.1 Mbit/s.

IMHO, it looks like a problem with the DG834G firmware. :-(