Internet access problem

Old July 29th 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking
newman

Default Internet access problem

I am having a problem connecting a laptop to my home wireless network.
The laptop finds the network and I can ping the router but cannot get
IE6 to find any web pages. Can the Windows firewall settings on the
laptop prevent internet access?

Regards
Old July 29th 06, 07:07 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

newman wrote in message
:

Martin Underwood wrote:

newman wrote in message
:

I am having a problem connecting a laptop to my home wireless
network. The laptop finds the network and I can ping the router but
cannot get IE6 to find any web pages. Can the Windows firewall
settings on the laptop prevent internet access?

I can't see how Windows firewall on the laptop could prevent access
to the internet.

Do "ipconfig /all" and see what gateway and DNS addresses are given:
they should be the address of the router. Also, try pinging an
external site, both by IP and by name: for example, news.bbc.co.uk
is 212.58.226.29. If you can ping by IP but not by name, then your
router's DNS lookup is failing; if you can't ping by either, the
router isn't routing properly. What happens for a PC that's
connected by Ethernet to the router - can that access web sites? Can
other PCs ping the laptop: maybe you have the dreaded "one-way ping"
which is often a symptom of a firewall problem.

What wireless adaptor and router do you have?

All pings work Ok
The 2 other PCs [one wired, one wireless] can access the internet Ok

The wireless adapter is inbuilt in the Thinkpad notebook. The router
is a Belkin 7230.

So you can ping external sites by name and by IP address? That suggests that
the router is working.

What about if you connect the laptop by Ethernet and temporarily disable the
wireless adaptor? You may need to reboot to force TCP to talk out of the
Ethernet port after it's been used to talking out of the wireless port. Does
browsing then work?

Can the laptop access POP and SMTP email servers, eg from Outlook Express?
Is it only browsing that is affected?

What is the exact error message - if any?

A long shot - has IE got proxy servers turned on: Tools | Internet Options |
Connections tabsheet | LAN Settings, "Use proxy" ticked?

Old July 30th 06, 08:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Martin Underwood wrote:

newman wrote in message
:

Martin Underwood wrote:

newman wrote in message
:

[...]

I have connected a Ethernet cable to the router and pings continue to
work with the new address but I am still unable to browse. The error is
'The page cannot be displayed.' I have tried with proxy ticked and
unticked but still cannot browse. I cannot try to access email servers
at present but would be grateful for any other suggestions.

Regards