Problem with WEP over Wi-Fi

Old July 29th 06, 08:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Problem with WEP over Wi-Fi

Hi All

I have set up a Wi-Fi network Using a Linksys WRT54GL router. I am having
problems with connecting after I have set the WEP security on the router's
page.

I typed in the key when reconnecting to the network on the Laptop and a
message came up saying "Limited or No connection to the Network."

The network works perfectly in unsecured mode.

Any advice would be grateful.

TIA Big Dave

Old July 29th 06, 11:26 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article , Big Dave
says...
Hi All

I have set up a Wi-Fi network Using a Linksys WRT54GL router. I am having
problems with connecting after I have set the WEP security on the router's
page.

I typed in the key when reconnecting to the network on the Laptop and a
message came up saying "Limited or No connection to the Network."

The network works perfectly in unsecured mode.

Any advice would be grateful.

Go to the WEP settings on the router. Write down the key as it appears
in hex form...should be 26 characters. Use that instead of sticking in
whatever 13 letter word you're using.

--
Conor

"No trilogy should have more than four books" - Arthur C. Clarke
Old July 30th 06, 12:26 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Conor wrote in
t:

In article , Big
Dave says...
Hi All

I have set up a Wi-Fi network Using a Linksys WRT54GL router. I
am having problems with connecting after I have set the WEP
security on the router's page.

I typed in the key when reconnecting to the network on the
Laptop and a message came up saying "Limited or No connection
to the Network."

The network works perfectly in unsecured mode.

Any advice would be grateful.

Go to the WEP settings on the router. Write down the key as it
appears in hex form...should be 26 characters. Use that instead
of sticking in whatever 13 letter word you're using.

Even better would be to use WPA-PSK if it is supported by the
client PCs WLAN adapter. That would avoid the key string
interpretation problem, but more importantly, provides much better
security than WEP.
Old July 30th 06, 12:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article , Anthony R.
Gold says...
On Sat, 29 Jul 2006 22:26:03 +0100, Conor wrote:

Go to the WEP settings on the router. Write down the key as it appears
in hex form...should be 26 characters. Use that instead of sticking in
whatever 13 letter word you're using.

The use of 26 hex characters or 13 ASCII characters have the same
functionality and both are used directly by WEP without the element of
interpretation that the use of a pass phrase requires and that sometimes
may cause the generation of different WEP keys by different equipment.

However if you go to a router, enter a 13 character "word" and press
the submit button, it'll generate a hex key from it which appears not
to be the same as the hex value generated from within Windows.

Old July 30th 06, 06:46 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Thanks for your help. I think I am going to try WPA.

The router has:
WPA Personal
WPA Enterprise
WPA2 Personal
WPA2 Enterprise
RADIUS

The Laptop's wireless adaptor has:
WPA
WPA - PSK
WPA2
WPA2 - PSK

Which ones are compatible?

Big Dave

Old July 30th 06, 10:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Well done, pleased it worked for you.

To answer your pevious question:
WPA Personal=WPA-PSK or WPA2 Personal=WPA2-PSK would both work. The
2 flavours use a stronger encryption algorithm (AES) so are
marinally preferable, but if the encryption key is strong there's
little real-world difference.

"Big Dave" wrote in
:

Old July 30th 06, 11:27 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Anthony R. Gold" wrote in
:

wrote:

Go to the WEP settings on the router. Write down the key as it
appears in hex form...should be 26 characters. Use that instead
of sticking in whatever 13 letter word you're using.

The use of 26 hex characters or 13 ASCII characters have the
same functionality and both are used directly by WEP without the
element of interpretation that the use of a pass phrase requires
and that sometimes may cause the generation of different WEP
keys by different equipment.

Tony,

WEP is/was a PITA to implement because of the lack of standards for
the defining the encryption key. Some users find it too frustrating
and run their WLAN without security. As Conor suggests, hex format
key input is more consistent, but still pretty fiddly.

WPA and Wireless Zero Config of XP SP2 have been a huge improvement
in that respect.

In addition, WEP's crackability makes it worth avoiding, unless
legacy product incompatibility constrains use of WPA.
Old August 1st 06, 05:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

In article , Anthony R.
Gold says...
On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 11:27:06 +0100, Conor wrote:

However if you go to a router, enter a 13 character "word" and press
the submit button, it'll generate a hex key from it which appears not
to be the same as the hex value generated from within Windows.

Which routers uses the term "word" on their WEP security configuration?
All the ones I have uses are clear as to whether one is entering a key or
a passphrase and they use those terms.

Stop being a pedantic prick. Why the **** do you think I put word in
quotations?

Old August 2nd 06, 01:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

wrote:

[...]

I agree. I had an early card in my laptop that only supported WEP until I got the
upgraded drivers. Both the card and the router were Linksys, but I couldn't get WEP
to work by using the passkey phrase as I got a different generated key on the router
and the laptop. As Conor correctly pointed out the only way to get them to work was
to use the hex key given by the router.

WPA PSK is much more straight forward to set up and also more secure, as you said.

The only exception I found was a friend at work, who lives on a farm where her house
is 3/4 mile from the road. I reckoned that for anyone to use her wireless connection
would require them to drive up the track and park outside the house. The dogs would
kick up such a row that I reckon any wannabee hacker would leave!

--

Andrew Sayers