What ATA do I need to make work with Voipcheap and others?

Old July 30th 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default What ATA do I need to make work with Voipcheap and others?

I want to use Voipcheap and others with an ATA.
I assume an ATA = device that lets you use your ordinary phone with
VOIP providers.

Is there a special ATA that I need to use for Voipcheap type providers?

I've searched eBay... and there doesn't seem to be a big selection
available at all.
Why is this...?
I thought this would be a very popular thing.

I also want to use the ATA with my Skype account if possible.

Thanks.

OM

Old July 30th 06, 10:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"OM" wrote in message
ps.com...
I want to use Voipcheap and others with an ATA.
I assume an ATA = device that lets you use your ordinary phone with
VOIP providers.

It does.

Is there a special ATA that I need to use for Voipcheap type providers?

No.

I've searched eBay... and there doesn't seem to be a big selection
available at all.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

Why is this...?

You have searchered thoroughly?

I thought this would be a very popular thing.

They are.

I also want to use the ATA with my Skype account if possible.

You can't, totally differerant protocol.

Thanks.

Your welcome.

OM

Old July 31st 06, 12:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 2006-07-30, OM wrote:

I want to use Voipcheap and others with an ATA.
I assume an ATA = device that lets you use your ordinary phone with
VOIP providers.

That is reasonable working definition of an ATA.

Is there a special ATA that I need to use for Voipcheap type providers?

VoIPCheap, as I expect you have read, uses SIP so you will need an ATA
which speaks that protocol. Sipura, Linksys, Fritz!Box and Grandstream
are some of the devices sold in the UK.

I've searched eBay... and there doesn't seem to be a big selection
available at all.
Why is this...?
I thought this would be a very popular thing.

Perhaps the product names above will help you narrow down your search.
www.voiptalk.org, www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk and www.sipgate.co.uk also
stock selections of SIP phones and ATAs and might be more informative
than eBay.

I also want to use the ATA with my Skype account if possible.

You cannot directly interface an ATA speaking SIP to the Skype network
as it uses an incompatible protocol.

Brian.
Old July 31st 06, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Sun, 30 Jul 2006 23:24:04 +0000 (UTC), Brian

On 2006-07-30, OM wrote:

[...]

All the above perfectly good advice.

It may not be obvious to you but you can effectively connect to all
the telephone handsets you have in your house from an ATA.
The REN is typically 5.

Additionally, you need to look at you set up and, based on that,
decide which type of ATA you want to use.

1. Do you have a router?
If yes then virtually any ATA will do as your ATA will plug into the
router.
If no then you will have to choose a type that will interface betwen
your broadband router and your computer. Look at some Grandstream
models for example.

If buying a new router look for one that has 'QoS' (Quality of
Service) on it.

Some routers also have VoIP sockets on them so you don't need an ATA.
I have a personal preference for having a separate ATA but that is a
matter of choice.

2. Do you want to use your BT or TW line on the same set of handsets
as your VoIP?
If yes you need an ATA with this facility - e.g. Linksys/Sipura
SPA-3000

3. Do you need more than one incoming VoIP line?
If yes you'll need to choose an appropriate ATA to facilitate this.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old July 31st 06, 07:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On 30 Jul 2006 14:07:03 -0700, "OM" wrote:

I want to use Voipcheap and others with an ATA.
I assume an ATA = device that lets you use your ordinary phone with
VOIP providers.

Is there a special ATA that I need to use for Voipcheap type providers?

I've searched eBay... and there doesn't seem to be a big selection
available at all.

Mines available...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=140013464517

Old July 31st 06, 11:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thanks for ALL the replies.
For a complete newbie... it's really really helpful.

Brian A wrote:
It may not be obvious to you but you can effectively connect to all
the telephone handsets you have in your house from an ATA.
The REN is typically 5.

Erm... sorry... but what is REN?

If buying a new router look for one that has 'QoS' (Quality of
Service) on it.

I'll make sure I look out for this.

2. Do you want to use your BT or TW line on the same set of handsets
as your VoIP?
If yes you need an ATA with this facility - e.g. Linksys/Sipura
SPA-3000

Yes... definitely would like to continue using existing telephone line.
I'm with Bulldog.
Does this matter?

3. Do you need more than one incoming VoIP line?
If yes you'll need to choose an appropriate ATA to facilitate this.

Erm... heck... I didn't know you could have this!
Yes... I would like this!!
Are there any keywords I need to look out for to have this facility?

Old August 1st 06, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thus spaketh OM:

Brian A wrote:
It may not be obvious to you but you can effectively connect to all
the telephone handsets you have in your house from an ATA.
The REN is typically 5.

Erm... sorry... but what is REN?

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/ren.htm

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...tory/TH024.htm

http://www.epl.co.uk/info13.htm

Ringer Equivalence Number

If buying a new router look for one that has 'QoS' (Quality of
Service) on it.

I'll make sure I look out for this.

2. Do you want to use your BT or TW line on the same set of handsets
as your VoIP?
If yes you need an ATA with this facility - e.g. Linksys/Sipura
SPA-3000

Yes... definitely would like to continue using existing telephone
line. I'm with Bulldog.
Does this matter?

It matters for the fact that you need to choose an ATA that has that
facility, some like the excellent PAP2 is VoIP service only.

3. Do you need more than one incoming VoIP line?
If yes you'll need to choose an appropriate ATA to facilitate this.

Erm... heck... I didn't know you could have this!
Yes... I would like this!!

You can have numerous lines and numbers, I have Birmingham numbers,
London Numbers, Manchester numbers and many other major area codes, also
have a German number, USA number, Italian number, Romanian numbers and
more.

Are there any keywords I need to look out for to have this facility?

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old August 1st 06, 10:58 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Brian A wrote:
It may not be obvious to you but you can effectively connect to all
the telephone handsets you have in your house from an ATA.
The REN is typically 5.

Erm... sorry... but what is REN?

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/freshwater/ren.htm

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technica...tory/TH024.htm

http://www.epl.co.uk/info13.htm

Ringer Equivalence Number

There is a REN attributed to each approved analogue phone that you
buy. Check that out in the instruction manual you get with the phone.
It is typically 1 but it can be more. You need to add all the RENs
together for the phones you are connecting and ensure that they don't
exceed the REN specification for your ATA. A good idea is to use a set
of cordless phones then you only have a small REN for, potentially,
lots of handsets.

If buying a new router look for one that has 'QoS' (Quality of
Service) on it.

I'll make sure I look out for this.

2. Do you want to use your BT or TW line on the same set of handsets
as your VoIP?
If yes you need an ATA with this facility - e.g. Linksys/Sipura
SPA-3000

Yes... definitely would like to continue using existing telephone
line. I'm with Bulldog.
Does this matter?

It matters for the fact that you need to choose an ATA that has that
facility, some like the excellent PAP2 is VoIP service only.

You can use such ATAs as the PAP2 but be very careful not to choose
one that is locked to Vonage. Aslo, personally, I'd avoid buying one
on Ebay - why ? because it probably was previously locked to Vonage -
someone has unlocked it - you set it back to factory settings
and....you could well be locked to Vonage again. Stick to somewhere
like www.broadbandstuff.co.uk
The SPA-1001 permits 2 incoming voip 'lines' to one output - but
doesn't permit connection of a landline. www.voipfone.co.uk sells
these.
A PAP2 will permit 2 voip lines with seperate outputs BUT does NOT
incorporate your landline as well. It also doesn't, directly permit a
number of outgoing providers as does the SPA-3000. This is why you
have to choose your ATA carefully according to your needs. There is a
NEW ATA out now which looks like an upgrade of the SPA-3000 - I think
that I saw it on voipfone's newsletter - check out their web site
(www.voipfone.co.uk)

3. Do you need more than one incoming VoIP line?
If yes you'll need to choose an appropriate ATA to facilitate this.

Erm... heck... I didn't know you could have this!
Yes... I would like this!!

See what I have wriiten above. It is difficult to achieve all that you
might want with a single ATA but it is possible, once you have got the
hang of things, to link into other services to permit more incoming
and outgoing lines even though your ATA doesn't do this directly.
Personally, if you definitely want to use your bulldog line, I'd go
for an SPA-3000 or similar.

You can have numerous lines and numbers, I have Birmingham numbers,
London Numbers, Manchester numbers and many other major area codes, also
have a German number, USA number, Italian number, Romanian numbers and
more.

Are there any keywords I need to look out for to have this facility?

Just checkout what is available on www.sipura.com (linksys and sipura
are one of the same- You can get an SPA-3000 under both names)
Then check out prices.
Also checkout Fritzbox (Ivor likes those) and, perhaps, Grandstream.

For VSPs check out
voip.co.uk - for good priced UK residential calls.
voipfone.co.uk
voiptalk.org

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.