Password problem

Old July 31st 06, 04:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Password problem

I've just set up a wireless network between a PC and a laptop, both running
XP HE SP2, using a 3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall router and
Linksys Wireless G notebook adapter.

The connection is okay, and the computers can both see each other. The host
PC can access the shared files on the laptop no problem, but when I attempt
to access files on the PC from the laptop, a box appears asking me to enter
a password. I've entered the router's system password, and the WPA
encryption password, but neither work. I don't have a password on the PC as
I'm the sole user.

Does anybody know which password is required? I've set up Linksys routers
and never encountered this before.

Thanks alot,
Mack

Old July 31st 06, 09:12 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On 31/07/2006 Mack wrote:

Does anybody know which password is required?

XP is checking your credentials, it's the XP password that is required.
The rule is no password no access so you need to set yourself a password
(probably easier to use the same user name and password on both machines,
then once you're signed on you'll have free access to both).

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.18.1.3
Old July 31st 06, 10:40 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

[email protected] declared for all the world to hear...
I've just set up a wireless network between a PC and a laptop, both running
XP HE SP2, using a 3Com OfficeConnect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall router and
Linksys Wireless G notebook adapter.

The connection is okay, and the computers can both see each other. The host
PC can access the shared files on the laptop no problem, but when I attempt
to access files on the PC from the laptop, a box appears asking me to enter
a password. I've entered the router's system password, and the WPA
encryption password, but neither work. I don't have a password on the PC as
I'm the sole user.

You do have a password, but it sounds like you've stored it. It will be
the password you entered when XP was installed.

That's assuming that you've not set a password when sharing the drive(s)
on the other machine?
--
Regards
Jon
Old July 31st 06, 11:36 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Jon" wrote in message
et...
[...]

I didn't actually set a password when I installed XP, nor have I set one re
sharing the drives.

Thanks,
Mack

Old July 31st 06, 11:39 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Jeff Gaines" wrote in message
On 31/07/2006 Mack wrote:

Does anybody know which password is required?

XP is checking your credentials, it's the XP password that is required.
The rule is no password no access so you need to set yourself a password
(probably easier to use the same user name and password on both machines,
then once you're signed on you'll have free access to both).

--
Jeff Gaines - Damerham Hampshire UK
Using XanaNews 1.18.1.3

Thanks Jeff - I suspected as much, as the dialogue box has the appearance of
the usual Windows log in - it just seems strange that it's never happened
with the Linksys equipment I've used in the past.

Now, how do I set up a password?? LOL, it's been a long time and I can't
remember :-)

Thanks,
Mack

Old July 31st 06, 11:46 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Mack" [email protected] wrote in message

[snip]

I didn't actually set a password when I installed XP, nor
have I set one re sharing the drives.

How did you install XP without setting at least a master 'administrator'
password..?

And why not..? Do you *want* anyone passing to have unrestricted
access..?!

Ivor

Old July 31st 06, 12:13 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Mon, 31 Jul
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk "Ivor Jones"
fornis do marikano es bono tan el:

How did you install XP without setting at least a master 'administrator'
password..?

Restore a Dell that came with XP pre-SP1, and it offers no option to give the
Administrator user a password.

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
"Frobert asked me today if we could buy matching gym clothes
Old July 31st 06, 12:39 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"deKay" wrote in message

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini
ill des Mon, 31 Jul 2006 11:46:09 +0100, sefini jorgo
geanyet des mani yeof do uk.comp.home-networking,
yawatina tan reek esk "Ivor Jones"
fornis do marikano es bono tan
el:

How did you install XP without setting at least a
master 'administrator' password..?

Restore a Dell that came with XP pre-SP1, and it offers
no option to give the Administrator user a password.

Ah, I didn't know that. All my installations have been either post SP1 or
SP2.

Ivor

Old July 31st 06, 12:40 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On 31/07/2006 Ivor Jones wrote:

"Mack" [email protected] wrote in message

[snip]

I didn't actually set a password when I installed XP, nor
have I set one re sharing the drives.

How did you install XP without setting at least a master 'administrator'
password..?

It's standard in XP Home for the Administrator Account to be set up with a
blank password.

Old July 31st 06, 02:15 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

"Mack" [email protected] wrote in message

[snip]

I didn't actually set a password when I installed XP, nor
have I set one re sharing the drives.

How did you install XP without setting at least a master 'administrator'
password..?

And why not..? Do you *want* anyone passing to have unrestricted
access..?!

Ivor

Ivor, it was set up with a blank password, which XP Home allows. It's a
home PC, and I am the sole user, no so danger of anyone 'passing' having
access.

Mack