A question about internal wiring

Old July 31st 06, 06:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default A question about internal wiring

I've been having trouble with my ADSL connection since being LLU'd to Tiscali (
I'm a plusnet customer ).

After determining that PN were simply ****ing in the wind ( long story ) about
fault finding with them passing the buck back and forth between them and Tiscali
- despite my conviction that BT was the primary issue ( I'm only 780m from the
exchange ), I got round to taking a look at my internal wiring.

All of it is BT's. There are 2 'modern' sockets and a third old-fashioned
mushroom colour terminal block ( unused ).

It was 'upgraded' in 1983 when I bought the property. It doesn't have an NTE5
master socket, simply one of those 'mini sockets' as master.

At Kraftee's suggestion, I removed the bell connection and from a situation
where I was struggling to acheive 1500kbps with regular disconnections - I was
able to connect at up to 3400kbps !

Enthused by this, I then started taking a closer look.

I have both 'solid colour wiring' and the 'stripey' variety, more or less at
random it seems.

I'm aware that ADSL likes to run over twisted pair - but when I cut open a
section of 'spare' solid colour cable I discovered it's not twisted at all.

I don't have any spare of the 'stripey' type but I'd be interested to know if
it's any different. If it is indeed of twisted pair construction, then I reckon
my last run of non-twisted may be my final problem.

All comments welcome.

Graham

Old July 31st 06, 10:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Eeyore wrote in
:

I don't have any spare of the 'stripey' type but I'd be interested
to know if it's any different. If it is indeed of twisted pair
construction, then I reckon my last run of non-twisted may be my
final problem.

You can buy the CW1308 cable (stripy twisted pair) at an electrical
factor in 100m rolls for about 12 quid. Given that its so cheap, you
could try disconnecting your existing wiring and laying a run of the
right stuff along the floor and punching it into the boxes. Then see
if that makes much difference to your ADSL. If it does, you can then
run the cable properly. If not, just punch the old wiring back in and
leave it alone.
Old July 31st 06, 10:23 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in message
| I've been having trouble with my ADSL connection since being LLU'd to Tiscali
(
| I'm a plusnet customer ).
|
| After determining that PN were simply ****ing in the wind ( long story ) about
| fault finding with them passing the buck back and forth between them and
Tiscali
| - despite my conviction that BT was the primary issue ( I'm only 780m from the
| exchange ), I got round to taking a look at my internal wiring.
|
| All of it is BT's. There are 2 'modern' sockets and a third old-fashioned
| mushroom colour terminal block ( unused ).
|
| It was 'upgraded' in 1983 when I bought the property. It doesn't have an NTE5
| master socket, simply one of those 'mini sockets' as master.
|
| At Kraftee's suggestion, I removed the bell connection and from a situation
| where I was struggling to acheive 1500kbps with regular disconnections - I was
| able to connect at up to 3400kbps !
|
| Enthused by this, I then started taking a closer look.
|
| I have both 'solid colour wiring' and the 'stripey' variety, more or less at
| random it seems.
|
| I'm aware that ADSL likes to run over twisted pair - but when I cut open a
| section of 'spare' solid colour cable I discovered it's not twisted at all.
|
| I don't have any spare of the 'stripey' type but I'd be interested to know if
| it's any different. If it is indeed of twisted pair construction, then I
reckon
| my last run of non-twisted may be my final problem.
|
| All comments welcome.
|
| Graham

Depends on who makes the cable. The twist ratio in telephone cable is rather
light in any respect but It should not really be a major issue as whilst you
have control of the twists inside your home, the other 780 metres of cable you
have no control over. If you have followed Kraftee's advice and taken out the
bell wires, you will have seen it makes a dramatic improvement! Don't be fooled
into thinking that just because you live 780 metres from the exchange, that your
cable is this length. Many homes close to exchanges get a raw deal as the cables
go out from the exchange to a PCP around a mile away, and then back towards the
exchange to feed the houses nearest it. It's not always the case, but in many
cases is. The network was built and designed long before the concept of ADSL in
the days where 8 meg links where designed to feed exchanges and the idea of the
customer having this level of service would have been laughed at.

I'm not 100% sure at what you are looking to achieve, but I am guessing it's an
DSL or DSLMax speed gain. If you are convinced it's your home wiring that is at
fault locate the master 'socket' (that is, the one nearest the incoming feed)
remove the extensions and try it there for a few days. If you get improvements
then it's worth ripping things around. If you don't you will have saved your
time and money.

The big guilty culprit indoors is low band RF interference from Satellite boxes,
microwaves (or anything that creates RF emissions). It can be anything in all
honesty, but can be hunted down with a cheap AM radio tuned around 525khz and
rotated around the course of the telephone cables. If there is any RF
interference there you'll hear it.

The other option is an electrical fault on the internal cable and wiring inside
of the house, removal will confirm this.

Hope you get the results you want.

Old July 31st 06, 11:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

[...]

Never used it myself but I have read you can use CAT5 cable for the internal
phone cables and I think it was said to be the better option.

Maybe others will confirm or otherwise rubbish this idea.

Old July 31st 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

It's Me wrote:

Never used it myself but I have read you can use CAT5 cable for the internal
phone cables and I think it was said to be the better option.

Maybe others will confirm or otherwise rubbish this idea.

Makes perfect sense to me at least.

Graham