Length of intenal wiring

Old July 31st 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Length of intenal wiring

Changing the length and type of domestic internal wiring sometimes
improves Internet performance. The reason why is seldom known and is
often guessed at.

It is usual to reduce length when attempting to improve matters.

Has anyone ever substantially INCREASED the length of wiring,
deliberately or not, and found, perhaps by chance, that an improvement
has occurred?

This is a serious question. Replies may influence the tactics
employed when performance is poor and on the verge of completely
failing.
----
Reg.

Old August 1st 06, 12:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Reg Edwards wrote:

Changing the length and type of domestic internal wiring sometimes
improves Internet performance. The reason why is seldom known and is
often guessed at.

It is usual to reduce length when attempting to improve matters.

Has anyone ever substantially INCREASED the length of wiring,
deliberately or not, and found, perhaps by chance, that an improvement
has occurred?

This is a serious question. Replies may influence the tactics
employed when performance is poor and on the verge of completely
failing.

Your question would appear to 'overlap' with my own " A question about internal
wiring ".

Length per se shouldn't matter aside from 2 factors. The influence of the bell
circuit and whether or not the wire is twisted pair.

Here's a useful link.
http://www.yarwell.blogspot.com/

Graham

Old August 1st 06, 08:30 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I have often found that old telephone wire doesn't work.

I recently had many problems using telephone wire that was a few years old,
I tried 4 or 5 different cables, but as soon as I used a new wire, things
worked fine.

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

Old August 1st 06, 09:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Zzaaarathustra wrote:

I have often found that old telephone wire doesn't work.

I recently had many problems using telephone wire that was a few years old,
I tried 4 or 5 different cables, but as soon as I used a new wire, things
worked fine.

It won't be the age of the wire itself for sure !

Graham