assign internet IP address to WAN port on ehternet router

Old July 31st 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default assign internet IP address to WAN port on ehternet router

Hi,

I have ADSL with a static IP address.

I also have an ethernet only router (Netgear FVS318).

Does anyone know of a modem I can use to link my ADSL connection to the
router so that the static IP address is assigned to the WAN port of the
router?

I used to be able to do this with an old solwise router set to zip-b mode
(something like bridge mode I think) but would like to know of any
currently available router/modems which would enable this.

Netgear say that their DG632 is capable of doing this but they can't get it
to work.

BTW - I know I can get the DG632 to act as a router, connect the FVS318
router to the LAN port of the DG632 - and then DMZ all traffic through.
This setup I have used for a couple of years.

What I'd like to do is to get the static IP address I have been issued to be
assigned to the WAN port of the FVS318.

Thanks,

Kevin
Old August 1st 06, 12:09 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

kevin bailey wrote:

Hi,

I have ADSL with a static IP address.

I also have an ethernet only router (Netgear FVS318).

Does anyone know of a modem I can use to link my ADSL connection to the
router so that the static IP address is assigned to the WAN port of the
router?

It looks like I need an ADSL modem/router which can be switched to
half-bridge mode for when I have a single assigned IP address.

Any recommendations or ideas on how to set the Netgear DG632 into this mode?

And something like full bridge mode when dealing with more than one static
IP address.

Again, any recommedations for modem/routers which carry this out?

Thanks

Old August 1st 06, 02:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

kevin bailey wrote in
:

kevin bailey wrote:

Hi,

I have ADSL with a static IP address.

I also have an ethernet only router (Netgear FVS318).

Does anyone know of a modem I can use to link my ADSL connection
to the router so that the static IP address is assigned to the
WAN port of the router?

It looks like I need an ADSL modem/router which can be switched to
half-bridge mode for when I have a single assigned IP address.

Any recommendations or ideas on how to set the Netgear DG632 into
this mode?

And something like full bridge mode when dealing with more than
one static IP address.

Again, any recommedations for modem/routers which carry this out?

Not sure of the answer as such, but I've found Zyxel routers to be
really excellent kit and what's more their pre-sales tech support is
about as helpful as it's possible to be, so I'd suggest giving them a
call.
Old August 1st 06, 03:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Again, any recommedations for modem/routers which carry this out?

Not sure of the answer as such, but I've found Zyxel routers to be
really excellent kit and what's more their pre-sales tech support is
about as helpful as it's possible to be, so I'd suggest giving them a
call.

thanks for that - i looked them up and they seem to be the right price
range.