WiFi domain logon

Old August 1st 06, 12:35 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default WiFi domain logon

Hi all
I've got a network at home with a NT domain controller that handles logons.
It's just been upgraded from wired to WiFi and I have a problem.

The initial upgrade went well. The two wireless machines got connected and
all security and filtering setup was done. Logons worked fine.

Then...

The motherboard on the wireless PC went pop. New motherboard installed, XP
pro SP2 repair installed, didn't give the wireless device back. So removed
all the WiFi software and reinstalled.

Now to the details. Netgear WPN111 usb adapter. when I reloaded the
software the option to load the bootloader didn't come up. This is supposed
to happen the first time the software is installed, which it wasn't.

Now however when I logon I get the local profile and watch the WiFi connect
after wards. I tried a non-local profile and got the message cant log you
on the domain is not available. Checked the router and the adapter isn't
available until after logon which rather defeats the object.

Does anyone know a way to totally remove the bootloader (if that is actually
the problem) so it can be redetected and installed? Or is there a way to
configure the adapter so that as soon as it is loaded it links so that the
domain is available?

Old August 2nd 06, 07:09 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Al Reeve wrote:
[...]

Are you sure you are giving the computer enough time before logon to
connect.
EG, I set up some laptops on a domain through wifi and it typically
takes 30secs before you can log into the machine and get a network
connection.

--
http://www.needmyhelp.com
Old August 2nd 06, 10:37 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Are you sure you are giving the computer enough time before logon to
connect.
EG, I set up some laptops on a domain through wifi and it typically takes
30secs before you can log into the machine and get a network connection.

--
http://www.needmyhelp.com

I've just checked. With the concerned machine left at the logon screen, the
router doesn't show it as connected and no other machine can ping the
(fixed) IP. Once logged on the connection appears on the router and ping
finds it. The adapter is only connected after windows logon.

Old August 2nd 06, 05:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Al Reeve" wrote in message
Are you sure you are giving the computer enough time before logon to
connect.
EG, I set up some laptops on a domain through wifi and it typically takes
30secs before you can log into the machine and get a network connection.

--
http://www.needmyhelp.com

I've just checked. With the concerned machine left at the logon screen,
the router doesn't show it as connected and no other machine can ping the
(fixed) IP. Once logged on the connection appears on the router and ping
finds it. The adapter is only connected after windows logon.

I have this issue- I think (could be wrong) if you can find the tick to
allow Windows to manage the connection, you will be OK, as the Zero
Configuration Wireless Service (being a service) starts when the machine
does.
My WiFi card seems to be using its own software now, and I can't find the
damned tick to let Windows do it, so the software doesn't run until I log
in.
Bit of a pain if there is a power cut at home - I can't get back into the
machine till I get in that night!

Old August 2nd 06, 07:37 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

james wrote:
"Al Reeve" wrote in message
[...]

Just a thought, but if you remove the wifi card software and allow
windows to find it and ask for the drivers, you could then install just
the driver, this should allow Windows to manage it.

--
http://www.needmyhelp.com
Old August 3rd 06, 12:22 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

"Tito" wrote in message
I have this issue- I think (could be wrong) if you can find the tick to
allow Windows to manage the connection, you will be OK, as the Zero
Configuration Wireless Service (being a service) starts when the machine
does.
My WiFi card seems to be using its own software now, and I can't find the
damned tick to let Windows do it, so the software doesn't run until I log
in.
Bit of a pain if there is a power cut at home - I can't get back into the
machine till I get in that night!

Just a thought, but if you remove the wifi card software and allow windows
to find it and ask for the drivers, you could then install just the
driver, this should allow Windows to manage it.

True - might give that a bash!