Vonage - why do I want to mess around with VOIP?

Old July 31st 06, 11:36 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Vonage - why do I want to mess around with VOIP?

Vonage - why do I want to mess around with VOIP?

I've done some research.
Not an expert or anything!
Vonage - 5.99 for 6 months.
Why would I want to go to the trouble of setting up a VOIP phone
service, buying hardware and configuring - fair amount of work I would
imagine??

Vonage: works out of the box.

What am I missing?
(Erm... will NOT go for Vonage... heard too many bad things - just want
to know the answer why I shouldn'y go with them.)

Thanks.

OM

Old August 1st 06, 12:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Vonage - why do I want to mess around with VOIP?

I've done some research.
Not an expert or anything!
Vonage - 5.99 for 6 months.

I thought it was 5.99 *per month* for the first 6 months thereafter 7.99
*per month*
only UK landline calls are unmetered

Compare that to VOIPCHEAP for example: 10 for 120 days and you can make 300
minuets of free calls per week, not just to UK geo numbers but also most
Europian ones and other international destinations like US and Australia.
They give you a proper incoming number apropriate to your location too.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 1st 06, 12:36 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thus spaketh OM:
Vonage - why do I want to mess around with VOIP?

I've done some research.
Not an expert or anything!
Vonage - 5.99 for 6 months.
Why would I want to go to the trouble of setting up a VOIP phone
service, buying hardware and configuring - fair amount of work I would
imagine??

Vonage: works out of the box.

What am I missing?
(Erm... will NOT go for Vonage... heard too many bad things - just
want to know the answer why I shouldn'y go with them.)

Thanks.

OM

Because you are paying so much per month when you probably wouldn't make
the number of calls each month for it to be worth it, especially when
you can get unlimited calls packages on the landline for less than
Vonage, or just get for no fee unlimited evening and weekend calls and
just pay 3p per call for daytime calls. You pay that monthly fee even
when you don't make any calls as you may be away for a week or two at a
time.

Configuring an ATA is a piece of ****, plus when you buy unlocked (as in
unmodified) ATAs you can test the various VoIP suppliers and chop and
change.

If you can get others to use VoIP you can call free between them, so
less need again for the rip-off monthly charges.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk