How do CISCO fit into all of this?

Old July 31st 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default How do CISCO fit into all of this?

OK... this is my 4th post tonight!

How does CISCO fit into all of this VOIP 'stuff'?
Erm... dumb question: what is CISCO? What do they do? Why are they
soooo damn expensive?

CISCO router: £xxxxxxxxxx
Normal router: £xx

Why doesn't the world get by with a normal router?

Any explanantions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM

Old August 1st 06, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

OK... this is my 4th post tonight!

How does CISCO fit into all of this VOIP 'stuff'?
Erm... dumb question: what is CISCO? What do they do? Why are they
soooo damn expensive?

CISCO router: £xxxxxxxxxx
Normal router: £xx

Why doesn't the world get by with a normal router?

Any explanantions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM

It could be argued that a Linksys Router or ATA are Ciscos and they are
affordable,
But I take your point. The real Cisco kit comes with a pedigree and a price
to match.
--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old August 1st 06, 03:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thus spaketh Graham.:
OK... this is my 4th post tonight!

How does CISCO fit into all of this VOIP 'stuff'?
Erm... dumb question: what is CISCO? What do they do? Why are they
soooo damn expensive?

CISCO router: £xxxxxxxxxx
Normal router: £xx

Why doesn't the world get by with a normal router?

Any explanantions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

OM

It could be argued that a Linksys Router or ATA are Ciscos and they
are affordable,
But I take your point. The real Cisco kit comes with a pedigree and a
price to match.

What's wrong with your system as it not quoting previous message, just
reprinting it.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old August 1st 06, 08:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
.uk...
Thus spaketh Graham.:
OK... this is my 4th post tonight!

How does CISCO fit into all of this VOIP 'stuff'?
Erm... dumb question: what is CISCO? What do they do? Why are they
soooo damn expensive?

they provide support.....

CISCO router: £xxxxxxxxxx
Normal router: £xx

Why doesn't the world get by with a normal router?

we use them at work - because

it is very useful to have accurate documentation.
cisco supports all the more complex protocols as well as simple IP (i
wouldnt want to try to run DLSw, IP multicast, PIM SM, and DSCP based QoS on
a SoHo router).
their support people answer the phone and actually understand how the kit
works, so there is a fighting chance of getting a bug found, a workaround in
place and the bug eventually fixed.
the routers scale well - 1000s of routes, networks with 1000s of routers.
in a big telco network the WAN bandwidth charges usually dominate the costs.
more or less common software, configs, features across a range of boxes with
different performance levels.

Any explanantions would be appreciated.

nothing protects you completely from problems, but using commercial kit
backed up with support and bug fixes minimises the risk.

None of the consumer manufacturers make the "big iron" - eg a router to
handle 500 broadband links on GigE or STM-1 ATM.

I wouldnt expect to buy a Linksys and get support and bug fixes 5 years
later - but that is part of the support agreement for the Ciscos i am
deploying now....

Thanks.

OM

It could be argued that a Linksys Router or ATA are Ciscos and they
are affordable,
But I take your point. The real Cisco kit comes with a pedigree and a
price to match.

What's wrong with your system as it not quoting previous message, just
reprinting it.

something to do with the original post format in Outlook express?

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl

Old August 1st 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

What's wrong with your system as it not quoting previous message, just
reprinting it.

Yes I was aware that quoted text wasn't getting marked, seems OK now, Lord
knows what was wrong, maybe I should use something better than OE.

--

Graham

%Profound_observation%