Escaping Plusnet

Old August 1st 06, 08:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Escaping Plusnet

How much does one have to pay to escape the clutches of Plusnet.

I was lied to when I joined up, they said they'd match TalkTalk for cost and
service in July (when I could have them supply my landline), but when July
came around I found that they were £5 more expensive than TalkTalk, and did
not offer unlimited landline calls, as promise.

I've no idea how many other people were conned into joining them on this
promise, but they seem to have got away with it.

When I joined they said it was £50 to leave, but as they've lied to me about
everything else, I'll assume this was not true as well.

If I ask to leave, do I get my MAC code right away...

Do they take the £50 leaving fee right away, or when the account closes...

Old August 1st 06, 08:27 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

PS

I've only been with them for a short time (oh the regret at leaving honest,
reliable, truthful and true... Pipex).

Old August 1st 06, 09:26 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Zzaaarathustra wrote:

How much does one have to pay to escape the clutches of Plusnet.

I was lied to when I joined up, they said they'd match TalkTalk for cost and
service in July (when I could have them supply my landline), but when July
came around I found that they were £5 more expensive than TalkTalk, and did
not offer unlimited landline calls, as promise.

I've no idea how many other people were conned into joining them on this
promise, but they seem to have got away with it.

Do you have any record of their offer ?

When I joined they said it was £50 to leave, but as they've lied to me about
everything else, I'll assume this was not true as well.

If I ask to leave, do I get my MAC code right away...

Are you on a Tiscali line ?

Forget about 'right away' in that case !

Do they take the £50 leaving fee right away, or when the account closes...

Dunno.

Graham

Old August 1st 06, 10:01 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Do you have any record of their offer ?

No

Several operators told me about it, and it was advertised on financial
sites.

I could/should have asked for written confirmation, but then I am simply
used to dealing with companies who generally do what they say and did not
assume that I'd be lied to so blatantly.

I don't think I'm on Tiscali.

Old August 1st 06, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Zzaaarathustra wrote:

Do you have any record of their offer ?

No

Several operators told me about it, and it was advertised on financial
sites.

I could/should have asked for written confirmation, but then I am simply
used to dealing with companies who generally do what they say and did not
assume that I'd be lied to so blatantly.

I don't think I'm on Tiscali.

Do you use a router for broadband ( not a USB modem ) ?

Graham

Old August 1st 06, 10:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Do you use a router for broadband ( not a USB modem ) ?

Why.. I'm just interested in leaving Plusnet and moving to a half decent
company.

Does anyone know what they charge as a leaving fee?

Old August 1st 06, 10:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Zzaaarathustra wrote:

Do you use a router for broadband ( not a USB modem ) ?

Why.. I'm just interested in leaving Plusnet and moving to a half decent
company.

It could provide useful information that could help determine if you've been
LLU'd. Why do you specifically think you haven't been ? What speed connection
are you seeing ?

Graham

Old August 1st 06, 11:53 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 08:24:47 +0100, "Zzaaarathustra" wrote:

How much does one have to pay to escape the clutches of Plusnet.

I was lied to when I joined up, they said they'd match TalkTalk for cost and
service in July (when I could have them supply my landline), but when July
came around I found that they were £5 more expensive than TalkTalk, and did
not offer unlimited landline calls, as promise.

I've no idea how many other people were conned into joining them on this
promise, but they seem to have got away with it.

When I joined they said it was £50 to leave, but as they've lied to me about
everything else, I'll assume this was not true as well.

If I ask to leave, do I get my MAC code right away...

Do they take the £50 leaving fee right away, or when the account closes...

I'm thinking of switching from Plusnet due to slow service and general
feedback from this group also, but can't help the suspicion that
what's recommended at one time suddenly changes and gets worse. How
then do I choose a new provider? Plusnet was the one recommended to me
once. Is it worth sticking around, holding on for a bit in case
Plusnet improves?

Rosie

Old August 1st 06, 12:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Rosie wrote:

[...]

I know what you mean but how many ISPs are literally obtsructive if you want to
leave ? I'd advise finding almost *any* other ISP pdq !

How then do I choose a new provider? Plusnet was the one recommended to me
once.

They *were* once absolutely fine. I've even recommended them in the past myself !
You could go to adslguide.org.uk and check out ISPs using their 'compare' feature
of course.

Is it worth sticking around, holding on for a bit in case Plusnet improves?

Unquestionably not I'm afraid. It's clear the ship's going down fast. They'll be
bought out by somone. It's very clear they're just maximising current revenue to
make them an attractive takeover target IMHO.

Graham

Old August 1st 06, 12:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Rosie" wrote in message
I'm thinking of switching from Plusnet due to slow service and general
feedback from this group also,

Well by the time you've thought about it, they'll either have gone bust or
have been taken over. Their share price is in meltdown and their interim
results released this morning haven't stemmed the flow, in fact they've
increased it.

http://www.lse.co.uk/SharePrice.asp?...&share=plusnet

PlusNet were good once and I was a customer for two years, up until a couple
of months ago, even recommended them to someone else. Unfortunately poor
management has changed all that.

It difficult to recommend an ISP that will always be good and it depends on
your requirements, I moved to Zen which seems fine for what I want. Price is
not my key issue, but then again I do think, hmmn.. £25 a month for up to
8MB and then look at SKY 16MB for £10 a month (I already have SKY).