Noise Margin 2147483647db

Old August 1st 06, 11:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Noise Margin 2147483647db

I've had some connection problems with our new ADSL line from Eclipse, but
that said, it has been up for over an hour today.

Is it common to see a 2147483647 db noise margin - see below?

The router is a Netgear DG834.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
3424 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 51 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 2147483647 db 23 db

How can one interpret these results, by the way? I'm familiar with
networking but not the telecomms side of things.

Old August 1st 06, 11:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Ah, spoke to soon I think. It's just dropped the connection and then
afterwards shows slightly more encouraging results...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3616 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 51 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 8 db 23 db

Old August 1st 06, 11:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Steven wrote:

I've had some connection problems with our new ADSL line from Eclipse,

What sort of problems ?

but that said, it has been up for over an hour today.

*Just* an hour ?

Is it common to see a 2147483647 db noise margin - see below?

Apparently on Netgears it is. A bug in the code presumably.

The router is a Netgear DG834.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
3424 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 51 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 2147483647 db 23 db

How can one interpret these results, by the way? I'm familiar with
networking but not the telecomms side of things.

How familiar are you with attenuation measured in dB ?

Aha - you've been LLU'd - the 448 is the giveaway. Interesting.

Graham

Old August 1st 06, 11:24 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Steven wrote:

Ah, spoke to soon I think. It's just dropped the connection and then
afterwards shows slightly more encouraging results...

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 3616 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 51 db 15.5 db
Noise Margin 8 db 23 db

If it's a new connection it may be 'training'. Entirely normal. Just keep an eye
on it. Those numbers look sensible to me from what little I know. How far are
you from the exchange ?

Do you have any phone extensions btw ?

Graham

Old August 1st 06, 11:38 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 11:20:54 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Aha - you've been LLU'd - the 448 is the giveaway. Interesting.

Nonsense - it shows that he is on ADSLmax.

--
Harry
Old August 1st 06, 11:40 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

Aha - you've been LLU'd - the 448 is the giveaway. Interesting.

Would you care to explain this ?
My up rate is 448 and I didn't believe I'd been LLu'd.

Eric

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old August 1st 06, 11:49 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Aha - you've been LLU'd - the 448 is the giveaway. Interesting.

Nonsense - it shows that he is on ADSLmax.

Or LLU.

Graham.

Old August 1st 06, 11:50 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Eric Parker wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

Aha - you've been LLU'd - the 448 is the giveaway. Interesting.

Would you care to explain this ?
My up rate is 448 and I didn't believe I'd been LLu'd.

My bad. I was thinking 488 not 448. BT's Max tops out at 480.

Graham

Old August 1st 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 10:40:08 UTC, "Eric Parker"
wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

Aha - you've been LLU'd - the 448 is the giveaway. Interesting.

Would you care to explain this ?
My up rate is 448 and I didn't believe I'd been LLu'd.

He's basically wrong! An ADSL Max connection will usually sync at 448,
whatever some LLUs may or may not do.

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old August 1st 06, 12:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Bob Eager wrote:

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 10:40:08 UTC, "Eric Parker"
wrote:

"Eeyore" wrote in
message ...

Aha - you've been LLU'd - the 448 is the giveaway. Interesting.

Would you care to explain this ?
My up rate is 448 and I didn't believe I'd been LLu'd.

He's basically wrong! An ADSL Max connection will usually sync at 448,
whatever some LLUs may or may not do.

I misread the number. Apologies.

Grahm