Still a bit confused

Old August 1st 06, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Still a bit confused

I have made some progress in trying to make sense of all these options
and have narrowed them down to the following as being what I want to
achieve (Do these make sense?)

First there are to be 2 users of this system They need to be as
independant as possible but if I can do want I want with only one VOIP
line so much the better

As I have ADSL only I still need a PSTN line rental and a PSTN charge
tariff (eg BT) for the occasional calls out using PSTN

I have an ADSL router so I get an ATA (not locked) which I can use for
various VOIP providers as I see fit

This ATA could support 2 analogue handsets one being a DECT phone for
use around the house (user 1) the other a fixed phnone (user 2)

As I can still receive calls using PSTN then when I make calls using
VOIP (using fixed phone) I could present my PSTN no to my caller so he
could call me using PSTN However could I choose to present my VOIP no
when using the DECT phone only

Also could someone confirm whether all calls going through the ATA must
be Voip or may they also be PSTN Not sure how this works as the router
is connected to ADSL through the splitter

Thanks for all replies

Mike

Old August 1st 06, 06:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Mike Saunders explained on 01/08/2006 :
I have made some progress in trying to make sense of all these options
and have narrowed them down to the following as being what I want to
achieve (Do these make sense?)

First there are to be 2 users of this system They need to be as
independant as possible but if I can do want I want with only one VOIP
line so much the better

You can do it with 1 voip service provider, but not with a single port
ATA

As I have ADSL only I still need a PSTN line rental and a PSTN charge
tariff (eg BT) for the occasional calls out using PSTN

I have an ADSL router so I get an ATA (not locked) which I can use for
various VOIP providers as I see fit

This would fit the bill - it has PSTN connection & two VoIP phone ports
http://www.avm.de/en/index.php3?Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_ata/index.js.html
they also do one with ADSL modem built in.

Sipgate sell some of their range.

This ATA could support 2 analogue handsets one being a DECT phone for
use around the house (user 1) the other a fixed phnone (user 2)

If you didn't want two, you could use the Linksys/Sipura SPA3102

As I can still receive calls using PSTN then when I make calls using
VOIP (using fixed phone) I could present my PSTN no to my caller so he
could call me using PSTN However could I choose to present my VOIP no
when using the DECT phone only

If you have two accounts on the device set appropriately, yes. However,
to present your PSTN number whilst dialling out over VoIP, you would
need a Voip Service provider that will allow you to alter the
presentation number. voip.co.uk allow this. I believe gradwell.com do
also.

Also could someone confirm whether all calls going through the ATA must
be Voip or may they also be PSTN Not sure how this works as the router
is connected to ADSL through the splitter

Certainly, with the Linksys/Sipura SPA3102, you can decide which calls
go over VoIP & which over PSTN. This can be set either based on the
number dialled, first few digits of a number, number of a certain
length, or all calls, or any call prefixed with say a # - you can
basically set it to do anything you can imagine.

I'm sure the Fritzbox is as programmable but have no experience of it.

Thanks for all replies

Mike

Old August 1st 06, 06:51 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Jono" wrote
in message
yonder.com.co.uk

[snip]

This would fit the bill - it has PSTN connection & two
VoIP phone ports
http://www.avm.de/en/index.php3?Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_ata/index.js.html
they also do one with ADSL modem built in.
Sipgate sell some of their range.

The Fritz!Box range are excellent, I would recommend them without
hesitation. All the ones Sipgate sell have the ADSL modem built in, but
the firmware permits it to be disabled if required. Go for the WLAN 7050
if you can afford it, it has three independent phone ports plus you can
configure up to 10 accounts, all with different providers if you like..!

Ivor

Old August 1st 06, 06:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"Jono" wrote
in message
yonder.com.co.uk

[snip]

This would fit the bill - it has PSTN connection & two
VoIP phone ports
http://www.avm.de/en/index.php3?Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_ata/index.js.html
they also do one with ADSL modem built in.
Sipgate sell some of their range.

The Fritz!Box range are excellent, I would recommend them without
hesitation. All the ones Sipgate sell have the ADSL modem built in, but
the firmware permits it to be disabled if required. Go for the WLAN 7050
if you can afford it, it has three independent phone ports plus you can
configure up to 10 accounts, all with different providers if you like..!

Ivor

Yes, it does look a nice piece of kit:
http://www.avm.de/en/index.php3?Prod.../index.js.html
almost makes me wish I was on ADSL!

Old August 1st 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Certainly, with the Linksys/Sipura SPA3102, you can decide which
calls go over VoIP & which over PSTN. This can be set either based on
the number dialled, first few digits of a number, number of a certain
length, or all calls, or any call prefixed with say a # - you can
basically set it to do anything you can imagine.

That looks good but a bit overkill for me I already have good router
and if I could get an ATA with dual ports that would be fine I looked
at Bradwell site and the Linksys PAP2T looks about right but no
mention of dual PSTN operation Any alternatives?

If you have two accounts on the device set appropriately, yes.
However, to present your PSTN number whilst dialling out over VoIP,
you would need a Voip Service provider that will allow you to alter
the presentation number. voip.co.uk allow this. I believe

gradwell.com do also.

Do you think if I alter the outgoing presentation number whether or
not I have to redirect this no to VOIP for incoming calls

Thanks

Mike
Old August 1st 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Mike Saunders was thinking very hard :
Certainly, with the Linksys/Sipura SPA3102, you can decide which
calls go over VoIP & which over PSTN. This can be set either based on
the number dialled, first few digits of a number, number of a certain
length, or all calls, or any call prefixed with say a # - you can
basically set it to do anything you can imagine.

That looks good but a bit overkill for me I already have good router
and if I could get an ATA with dual ports that would be fine I looked
at Bradwell site and the Linksys PAP2T looks about right but no
mention of dual PSTN operation Any alternatives?

The SPA3102 requires you to already have a router, it's the Fritz!box
that Ivor suggested that would replace it (the 7050?)

The PAP2 is the same, basically, as a Linksys/Sipura SPA2000. You are
quite correct that it has no PSTN integration - which was why I drew
your attention to the 3102 & the Fritzbox.

You could achieve what you're after with two ATAs - an SPA3102 & an
SPA1001, however, the phone connected to the SPA1001 would add some
complexity to enable it to dial over the PSTN.

I think if you can source a "FRITZ!Box Fon ata"
http://www.avm.de/en/index.php3?Produkte/FRITZBox/FRITZ_Box_Fon_ata/index.js.html
in the UK, you'd have everything you want in one package.

If you have two accounts on the device set appropriately, yes.
However, to present your PSTN number whilst dialling out over VoIP,
you would need a Voip Service provider that will allow you to alter
the presentation number. voip.co.uk allow this. I believe
gradwell.com do also.

Do you think if I alter the outgoing presentation number whether or
not I have to redirect this no to VOIP for incoming calls

Is that a trick question?

If you present your PSTN number on an outgoing VoIP call, anyone
returning your call would come in on your PSTN.

Thanks

Mike

Old August 1st 06, 10:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Is that a trick question?

If you present your PSTN number on an outgoing VoIP call, anyone returning
your call would come in on your PSTN.

Thus freeing his voip phone for making calls. Not a trick question, in fact
exactly what I would want to do.

When I used 1899voip a sometime ago, I discovered that as long as a
particular number was registered with them to use your account with the 1899
service, you could get your voip device to use that number as its outgoing
CLI.
The number could be real or fictitious such as 020 0000 0000. The annoying
thing is that my PSTN number would not work.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 1st 06, 11:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Graham. expressed precisely :
Is that a trick question?

If you present your PSTN number on an outgoing VoIP call, anyone returning
your call would come in on your PSTN.

Thus freeing his voip phone for making calls. Not a trick question, in fact
exactly what I would want to do.

When I used 1899voip a sometime ago, I discovered that as long as a
particular number was registered with them to use your account with the 1899
service, you could get your voip device to use that number as its outgoing
CLI.
The number could be real or fictitious such as 020 0000 0000. The annoying
thing is that my PSTN number would not work.

Yeah? You snipped the trick question, though:

Old August 1st 06, 11:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Yeah? You snipped the trick question, though:
"Do you think if I alter the outgoing presentation number whether or
not I have to redirect this no to VOIP for incoming calls"

I see what you mean now. I wouldnt have thought the OP would want to port
his PSTN number to voip and get a new PSTN number for incoming calls, and
diverting them would be expensive.

--

Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Old August 2nd 06, 12:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Do you think if I alter the outgoing presentation number whether or
not I have to redirect this no to VOIP for incoming calls

Is that a trick question?

If you present your PSTN number on an outgoing VoIP call, anyone
returning your call would come in on your PSTN.

Yes that is what I would expect I could then either receive calls on
PSTN with its No as well as VOIP calls with its different No. If I
make calls using Voip then the receipient would think I was calling
from PSTN. This would mean not having to redirect my PSTN No to Voip
and result in me calling from Voip and mainly receiving with PSTN Not
sure if it possible or whether I would want it just wanting to
understand all the options

Mike