Belkin Router

Old August 1st 06, 02:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Belkin Router

Is there a limit on the length of cable one can use to connect to the
Ethernet ports of a Belkin Modem/Router?

The manual says "The Ethernet ports are RJ45, 10/100 auto-negotiation."
(whatever that means)
My wife is getting rather fed up with the unreliability of the wireless
connection to her computer, and has reluctantly agreed that a cable might be
better. I guestimate the distance is about 15 metres.

Advice would be appreciated and info on suitable cable.

Retired

Old August 1st 06, 02:47 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article ,
Retired says...
Is there a limit on the length of cable one can use to connect to the
Ethernet ports of a Belkin Modem/Router?

The manual says "The Ethernet ports are RJ45, 10/100 auto-negotiation."
(whatever that means)
My wife is getting rather fed up with the unreliability of the wireless
connection to her computer, and has reluctantly agreed that a cable might be
better. I guestimate the distance is about 15 metres.

Advice would be appreciated and info on suitable cable.

Retired

should be all right, I've used lengthy cables before now for connection
sharing in pre-wireless days. Companies use huge cables in offices after
all.

All I'd advise is go for good quality cabling. The Cat 5e type would be
a good bet as it comes in 20 metre lengths which would give you enough
flexibility. A 20m one should set you back between six and eight quid.

FR
Old August 1st 06, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 13:14:53 +0100, Retired wrote:

Is there a limit on the length of cable one can use to connect to the
Ethernet ports of a Belkin Modem/Router?

The manual says "The Ethernet ports are RJ45, 10/100 auto-negotiation."
(whatever that means)
My wife is getting rather fed up with the unreliability of the wireless
connection to her computer, and has reluctantly agreed that a cable might be
better. I guestimate the distance is about 15 metres.

Advice would be appreciated and info on suitable cable.

Retired

You can connect upto 100m of cable between the Belkin and the PC without
and problems...

You can get pre-made cables from many places on the net.
Old August 1st 06, 03:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Flying Rat wrote:
In article ,
Retired says...
[...]

100BaseTX Ethernet (what you've got ) has a range of 100 somethings
(metres or feet, I forget which) per segment- either way, it's well over
the range you need for the job.

Personally, I'd pick up a length of unterminated cat5e, and install it
with a 'female' port at either end. Then you just get two short patch
leads, one for plugging into the router, and one for plugging into the
computer. That way, if later on your wife decides that she'd like her PC
on the other side of the room, or you decide to shift the router
somewhere, you just need to replace the patch cable, rather than the
whole length...

xF,

....Nick

Oh, yeah. ASCII-art (the masterpiece, as it were )

----
|PC|-Patch no.1---Long cable---Patch no.2-|router|
----
Old August 1st 06, 03:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Retired wrote:
Is there a limit on the length of cable one can use to connect to the
Ethernet ports of a Belkin Modem/Router?

The manual says "The Ethernet ports are RJ45, 10/100 auto-negotiation."
(whatever that means)
My wife is getting rather fed up with the unreliability of the wireless
connection to her computer, and has reluctantly agreed that a cable might
be
better. I guestimate the distance is about 15 metres.

Advice would be appreciated and info on suitable cable.

Retired

Best advice for a belkin router, is to keep the receipt safe for when it
breaks down in the first twelve months, which most likely will.

Gaz

Old August 1st 06, 05:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for the advice.
I'm getting very disillusioned with wireless systems (the bluetooth on my
PDA is equally problematic) so a length of copper seems the ideal solution,
and I'm glad its possible.

Retired

Old August 1st 06, 06:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In message , Nicholas Thomas
writes
Flying Rat wrote:
In article ,
Retired says...
[...]

If you go this route (terminating yourself) just be careful of the
sequence of the twisted pairs. The four pairs go on pins 1&2, 3&6, 4&5,
7&8. See http://yoda.uvi.edu/InfoTech/rj45.htm

I spent two days trying to sort out an installation like yours (one
computer and the router upstairs and one computer downstairs - about
20metres of cable pulled through suspended ceilings) The Link to
downstairs would run OK if forced to 10meg, but not even establish a
link at 100meg. It took me a while to twig that someone had bought
unterminated cable and terminated both ends as 1&2, 3&4, 5&6, 7&8. It
might work on short lengths, but on long runs it doesn't.
--
Peter R Cook
Old August 1st 06, 06:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Retired" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice.
I'm getting very disillusioned with wireless systems (the bluetooth on my
PDA is equally problematic) so a length of copper seems the ideal
solution, and I'm glad its possible.

Retired

I am fed up with inconsistent connections and am seriously looking at
'through the mains' solution as link below.

Ken

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/index.html

Old August 1st 06, 07:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Ken" Reply to NG only wrote in message

"Retired" wrote in message
Thanks for the advice.
I'm getting very disillusioned with wireless systems (the bluetooth on my
PDA is equally problematic) so a length of copper seems the ideal
solution, and I'm glad its possible.

Retired

I am fed up with inconsistent connections and am seriously looking at
'through the mains' solution as link below.

Ken

http://www.devolo.co.uk/uk_EN/index.html

I've got a belkin wireless router and have connected several pocket PCs a
Palm TX and several laptops all of which work without fault, even some
distance away in the back garden. You might want to think about moving the
router.

Old August 1st 06, 07:17 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Nicholas Thomas wrote:

Flying Rat wrote:
In article ,
Retired says...
Is there a limit on the length of cable one can use to connect to the

Personally, I'd pick up a length of unterminated cat5e, and install it
with a 'female' port at either end. Then you just get two short patch
leads, one for plugging into the router, and one for plugging into the
computer. That way, if later on your wife decides that she'd like her PC
on the other side of the room, or you decide to shift the router
somewhere, you just need to replace the patch cable, rather than the
whole length...

Mostly those 'female' sockets will be for mounting in wall boxes, and may
need solid core cable (the multi-strand cores make the patch cables nicely
flexible but aren't ideal for long lengths. Solid core is often around 10p
a metre, so if a shop is charging much more than 20p/metre then avoid them!