which router will run in bridge mode and carry out PPPoA authentication?

Old August 1st 06, 02:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default which router will run in bridge mode and carry out PPPoA authentication?

which router will run in bridge mode and carry out PPPoA authentication?

am i right in thinking that the siemens 5830 does this?

i've tried a d-link604+ but when you select either of its bridge modes the
authentication (login and password) boxes disappear.

i have to replace a BT router and would like to use a router which can then
forward all traffic to another main router which can have 1 of the 5 static
addresses

thanks,

kevin
Old August 1st 06, 04:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 01 Aug 2006 14:53:01 +0100, kevin bailey
wrote:

which router will run in bridge mode and carry out PPPoA authentication?

am i right in thinking that the siemens 5830 does this?

i've tried a d-link604+ but when you select either of its bridge modes the
authentication (login and password) boxes disappear.

i have to replace a BT router and would like to use a router which can then
forward all traffic to another main router which can have 1 of the 5 static
addresses

thanks,

kevin

It ain't bridged mode you are after, but proper Non-NAT routed you
need. Any SpeedTouch router comes with a simple template to configure
non-NAT routed mode.
Old August 1st 06, 08:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

which router will run in bridge mode and carry out PPPoA authentication?

am i right in thinking that the siemens 5830 does this?

i've tried a d-link604+ but when you select either of its bridge modes the
authentication (login and password) boxes disappear.

i have to replace a BT router and would like to use a router which can
then forward all traffic to another main router which can have 1 of the 5
static addresses

thanks,

kevin

It ain't bridged mode you are after, but proper Non-NAT routed you
need. Any SpeedTouch router comes with a simple template to configure
non-NAT routed mode.

right, so, let me see if i get this...

say the assigned static IP addresses are x.x.x.153 to x.x.x.157 with
x.x.x.158 as the gateway address.

internet

--------------------
WAN interface - x.x.x.153
MODEM/ROUTER
carrying out PPPoA
No NAT
gateway x.x.x.158
[not sure what routes
need to be set up]
LAN interface - 192.168.0.1
--------------------

--------------------
WAN interface - x.x.x.154
MAIN ROUTER
carrying out NAT/firewall etc
set up so default gateway
is 192.168.0.1
LAN interface - 192.168.1.1
--------------------

LAN - 192.168.1.0/24

is this right? what routes need to be set up?

thanks,

kev
Old August 1st 06, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

kevin bailey wrote:

i have to replace a BT router and would like to use a router which can then
forward all traffic to another main router which can have 1 of the 5 static
addresses

Why are you replacing the BT router? Have you been moved to a wires
only contract? If you have an engineer installed router with a problem
then double check that it is your responsibility to replace it, not
BTs. You might save yourself a job....

If it is your responsibility then a lot of customers in your situation
choose Draytek routers and Draytek have a page for configuring them:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_...2ndsubnet.html

Or BT will sell you a replacement router outright (IG 1800 or voyager
220) and offer you support setting it up your static IPs

http://www.btbroadbandoffice.com/help/purchaserouters

As others have said it is possible to use other routers as well.
Depends on what level of support and what brands you feel comfortable
with.

Regards

William MacLeod

Old August 1st 06, 08:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

IIn article , kevin bailey
writes
which router will run in bridge mode and carry out PPPoA authentication?

am i right in thinking that the siemens 5830 does this?

i've tried a d-link604+ but when you select either of its bridge modes the
authentication (login and password) boxes disappear.

i have to replace a BT router and would like to use a router which can then
forward all traffic to another main router which can have 1 of the 5 static
addresses

thanks,

kevin

I have replaced my BT router (efficient networks?) with a Draytek Vigor 2800
This allows me to use one of the network ip addresses for NAT traffic and pass
my other original 5 onto the LAN.
Delighted with it. had no problems since install for last 2 months (unlike the
BT unit which required regular reboot.
--
Bob Geddes
Old August 1st 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

kevin bailey wrote:

right, so, let me see if i get this...

say the assigned static IP addresses are x.x.x.153 to x.x.x.157 with
x.x.x.158 as the gateway address.

OK

internet

--------------------
WAN interface - x.x.x.153

Nope, there will be a "peer" IP address here, this will change
occasionaly but is not something to be worried about. It is not one of
your assigned addresses. BT will route your IPs correctly as long as
you connect with the right network login.

MODEM/ROUTER
carrying out PPPoA
No NAT
gateway x.x.x.158

Yip, this is correct, you will have x.x.x.158 on the other side of the
router

[not sure what routes
need to be set up]

[snip a lot]

Simplest way? Get a BT supported router or a Draytek - anyone who will
offer advice and support on how to make it work. You could use a
second router just for NAT but that may be unecessary - most routers
can do NAT as well, including the ones I recommended.

Regards

William MacLeod

Old August 1st 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Bob Geddes wrote:

Draytek Vigor 2800

thanks - it does look like this unit will do most of the tasks i need,

kevin
Old August 1st 06, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

kevin bailey wrote:

i have to replace a BT router and would like to use a router which can
then forward all traffic to another main router which can have 1 of the 5
static addresses

Why are you replacing the BT router? Have you been moved to a wires
only contract? If you have an engineer installed router with a problem
then double check that it is your responsibility to replace it, not
BTs. You might save yourself a job....

The client needs to set up VPN's to other offices.

If it is your responsibility then a lot of customers in your situation
choose Draytek routers and Draytek have a page for configuring them:

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb_...2ndsubnet.html

Thanks for that.

Old August 1st 06, 10:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

kevin bailey wrote:

right, so, let me see if i get this...

say the assigned static IP addresses are x.x.x.153 to x.x.x.157 with
x.x.x.158 as the gateway address.

OK

internet

--------------------
WAN interface - x.x.x.153

Nope, there will be a "peer" IP address here, this will change
occasionaly but is not something to be worried about. It is not one of
your assigned addresses. BT will route your IPs correctly as long as
you connect with the right network login.

Ok - that clears that up. So I allow the router to pick up its settings via
DHCP?

MODEM/ROUTER
carrying out PPPoA
No NAT
gateway x.x.x.158

Yip, this is correct, you will have x.x.x.158 on the other side of the
router

[not sure what routes
need to be set up]

[snip a lot]

Simplest way? Get a BT supported router or a Draytek - anyone who will
offer advice and support on how to make it work. You could use a
second router just for NAT but that may be unecessary - most routers
can do NAT as well, including the ones I recommended.

It looks like a choice between:

1. the 'do-everything' Draytek Vigor 2800 which look like a great unit which
can run multiple VPN endpoints.

2. or a smaller simple modem/router which will pass traffic back to a bigger
more featured ethernet only router.

I'd prefer option 2 because that way I am free to chose from a wider range
of main routers - including ones which can run 50 VPN tunnels which is
something the client may be needing.

the assigned static IP addresses are x.x.x.152 to x.x.x.159 with
x.x.x.152 as the network and x.x.x.159 as the broadcast address.

internet

--------------------
WAN interface - | [Set via DHCP]

| MODEM/ROUTER
| Carrying out PPPoA
| No NAT
|
| What would this be set to?
| Would this be x.x.x.153 - 255.255.255.248?
| This would then follow the convention that the
| lowest available IP in a subnet would be
LAN interface - | used as the gateway. Maybe it should be x.x.x.158?
--------------------

--------------------
WAN interface - x.x.x.154
MAIN ROUTER
Carrying out NAT/firewall/VPN etc
Gateway setting - probably - x.x.x.153 if the
previous router is set up as shown.
LAN interface - 192.168.1.1
--------------------

LAN - 192.168.1.0/24

Think I've almost got it?!?!

Regards,

Kevin

Regards

William MacLeod

Old August 1st 06, 11:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

kevin bailey wrote:

Ok - that clears that up. So I allow the router to pick up its settings via
DHCP?

Yes

It looks like a choice between:

1. the 'do-everything' Draytek Vigor 2800 which look like a great unit which
can run multiple VPN endpoints.

Good mid range router, that's what this posting is going via :-)

2. or a smaller simple modem/router which will pass traffic back to a bigger
more featured ethernet only router.

I'd prefer option 2 because that way I am free to chose from a wider range
of main routers - including ones which can run 50 VPN tunnels which is
something the client may be needing.

Personally I'd start with option 1 and move to option 2 later if
necessary - good upgrade path if necessary, if you are talking about a
lot of 2 way traffic then perhaps adsl isn't going to cut it
speedwise...

Option 1 will pretty much do what you want out of the box. Definately
the easy option!

[snip diagram again!]

Think I've almost got it?!?!

Think so Kevin. One thing to mention is that you should use the
addresses BT gives you - when they give your range they will tell you
what your router IP is, make sure the router goes on that IP. Other
than that it is all fairly straightforward - set the static IP
addresses on the devices manually, make the router IP the default
gateway, give them the correct subnet mask and you are all set :-)

Regards

William MacLeod