Filters - much of a muchness?

Old August 1st 06, 04:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Filters - much of a muchness?

I'm about a mile from my exchange, and normally sync at 7.6 Mbps. A week
or so ago, I'd gone out for a couple of hrs, left my PC logged on, and
upon returning, there was no ADSL. I did all the usual checks, but
nothing was working so I contacted my isp. They said nothing was wrong
at their end, and diagnosed a faulty micro filter.

They reluctantly agreed to send me a free replacement, as I have been
with them for 18 months, and one of the original ones supplied died
after 3 months of signing up, but I'd never got round to getting them to
send me a replacement.

Anyhow, the next morning, everything was working fine, so it must have
just been a BT prob. The replacement filter they send was a net-lynx
one, and I don't know if it's faulty, or just crap, but using it for a
few days, the PC would usually sync between 5 and 6 Mbps, with
disconnects every hr or so.... Is this just a faulty filter they have
sent as a replacement, or what?

http://www.adslnation.com/support/filters.php