Interesting Netgear experience

Old August 1st 06, 04:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Interesting Netgear experience

I have a Netgear DG834 which recently stopped working. No green (or even
orange) light to indicate existence of ADSL signal, and inability to
reconnect. But the HTML connection to the router appeared to be behaving
otherwise, and it was still connecting the two computers on my LAN.

Log showed it happened around the same time as my electric clock had
stopped, so maybe due to a short power failure (though my computers sailed
through it without falling over).

After much abortive attempts to contact newnet (half an hour of "we are
exceedingly busy, an agent will contact you shortly", which I took to mean
that they were inundated following a general breakdown), I eventually, in
desperation, tried power-cycling the router, and that magically worked.

Hope this hint may be of use to someone.

Tel: +44 161 436 6131 Fax: +44 161 436 6133 Web: http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~chl
Email: Snail: 5 Clerewood Ave, CHEADLE, SK8 3JU, U.K.
PGP: 2C15F1A9 Fingerprint: 73 6D C2 51 93 A0 01 E7 65 E8 64 7E 14 A4 AB A5
Old August 1st 06, 05:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

--
Charles H. Lindsey ---------At Home, doing my own
thing------------------------

When that happens to me I normally can't even get into the router setup
page, but a quick power off and its fine again. I put it down to the memory
getting overloaded or just to much activity freezes it up just like a normal
PC and a reboot fixes it.

Old August 1st 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

When that happens to me I normally can't even get into the router setup
page, but a quick power off and its fine again. I put it down to the memory
getting overloaded or just to much activity freezes it up just like a normal
PC and a reboot fixes it.

They don't run windows on routers...;-)

Dave

Old August 1st 06, 11:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 15:57:17 GMT, "Charles Lindsey"
wrote:

I have a Netgear DG834 which recently stopped working. No green (or even
orange) light to indicate existence of ADSL signal, and inability to
reconnect. But the HTML connection to the router appeared to be behaving
otherwise, and it was still connecting the two computers on my LAN.

Log showed it happened around the same time as my electric clock had
stopped, so maybe due to a short power failure (though my computers sailed
through it without falling over).

After much abortive attempts to contact newnet (half an hour of "we are
exceedingly busy, an agent will contact you shortly", which I took to mean
that they were inundated following a general breakdown), I eventually, in
desperation, tried power-cycling the router, and that magically worked.

Hope this hint may be of use to someone.

I think most people would try the power off/on routine before
attempting to phone anybody :-)
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Well, to be Frank, I'd have to change my name.
Old August 2nd 06, 02:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Charles Lindsey wrote:

I eventually, in
desperation, tried power-cycling the router, and that magically worked.

It's not magic.

When you have a power dip - technically commonly referred to as a' brown out' as
opposed to a black out, the internal voltages in the unit sag before going back to
normal. This can corrupt the program memory or all kinds of internal workings.

Power cycling should always be high on the 'to do' list before fretting too much.

Graham

Old August 2nd 06, 09:44 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Alex Heney" wrote in message
On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 17:49:12 +0100, Alex Crosby
wrote:

In article , says...

snip

I eventually, in desperation, tried power-cycling the router, and that
magically worked.

I don't mean to belittle your router-reviving feat, but it seems turning
it off and back on again is a fairly standard thing to try before
resorting to *actual* desperate measures...

And yes I'm just bitter because my DG834 gave up the ghost in similar
circumstances last week while I was out - I think the thunderstorm had
its way with the modem's electronics, and it refuses to synch now. All
of a week after the 2 year guarantee expired as well!

Anyone got recommendations for a non-netgear replacement? Currently
using an old connexant router that doens't take too kindly to the lofty
heights of 8Mbit...

Draytek Vigor are good, but pricey.

It cost me almost as much for one from ebay as a new Netgear had cost.

But it is rock solid stable, where the Netgear on my rather long line
had to be rebooted several times per day.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
Well, to be Frank, I'd have to change my name.

Here's my tuppence worth: My DG834 failed recently after brownout(s)
during a prolonged thunderstorm. The power and test leds flashed
continually. Netgeasr support quickly (24hrs) replied to my e-mail cry for
help. They made several suggestions for more "vigorous" resetting,
escalating to trying to reload firmware. Nothing worked. All the time I was
contacting them through my neighbours DG834? (the wireless version but I was
using ethernet). Clearly it had suffered the same power brownouts without
mishap - so what do you conclude from that? Eventually netgear support
collapsed and suggested I go through their telephone system to "return for
repair" but the call centere wouldn't let me through until I had sat on the
phone in front of my machine and gone through some "procedures to check out
my system".

I bought a new DG834 - v2! It took only minutes to get it up and running.

Question: I have a UPS which protects my PC and monitor. It uses those
"electric kettle" type plugs and sockets and only has 2 power outlets.. How
could I incporporate my router into the protector (it has sufficient power)?
Something like a kettle - standard 13A plug/socket adaptor/extension
would be needed but I cannot find such a thing.

Frank

Old August 2nd 06, 11:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 09:44:24 +0100, "Frank Stacey"
wrote:

snip

Question: I have a UPS which protects my PC and monitor. It uses those
"electric kettle" type plugs and sockets and only has 2 power outlets.. How
could I incporporate my router into the protector (it has sufficient power)?
Something like a kettle - standard 13A plug/socket adaptor/extension
would be needed but I cannot find such a thing.

You can get power extension leads for the "kettle" type plugs (e.g.
http://www.cablesandstuff.com/subcatproducts/39/Leads-and-Extension-Leads.htm

You could then cut that cable near one end, and wire it in to a
standard UK socket type socket.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
The brain you have reached is out of order at this time.
Old August 2nd 06, 01:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"gort" wrote in message
news

They don't run windows on routers...;-)

Dave

Shush - Bill might hear you !

--
Remove the dross to contact me directly

Old August 2nd 06, 02:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

gort wrote:

: When that happens to me I normally can't even get into the router setup
: page, but a quick power off and its fine again. I put it down to the memory
: getting overloaded or just to much activity freezes it up just like a normal
: PC and a reboot fixes it.

: They don't run windows on routers...;-)

The DG834Gs run Linux on a microprocessor. It's even possible to telnet to
them into their shell process once debug mode is enabled via a URL!