Speed upgrade advice

Old August 1st 06, 09:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Speed upgrade advice

Hi,

I'm a Demon adsl customer. Apparently we are all getting a free upgrade to
8Mb/sec in the near future, which is very nice.

Due to distance from the exchange, my current entitlement of 2Mbs is tuned
down to 1Mbs. According to Demon's enquiry page, when the exchange is
upgraded to support 8Mbs the max my line is likely to support is 3Mbs, which
I guess is fair enough.

But it also says, and this is the bit I'd appreciate advice on, "The actual
broadband speed that your line can support will be determined during the
first 10 days of use, after which the highest possible stable rate will be
set."

Does that mean I should be using my internet connection intensively from
midnight to 4.am or whatever, when the internet is least busy, so that BT
thinks my line is as good as possible and I get the max speed determination?
Or am I off track with this thinking?

Thanks!

Pete

Old August 1st 06, 10:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter Boulton wrote:
Does that mean I should be using my internet connection intensively from
midnight to 4.am or whatever, when the internet is least busy, so that BT
thinks my line is as good as possible and I get the max speed determination?
Or am I off track with this thinking?

I think you are off track. How much you use the connection is not going
to affect the stable sync rate, only the quality of your line/equipment etc.

I would just leave it to work out the quality of your line, don't do
anything in particular to force it. If you lose connection during the
training period, reboot your router to try to get it to resync/reconnect.
Old August 1st 06, 11:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Hi Pete
I am also with Demon and been told a speed of 3meg should be available,
don`t know how they come up with this figure or if its a standard
message they give out for people expecting 8meg and not getting it?.
Steve

Old August 1st 06, 11:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006 21:14:15 +0100, "Peter Boulton"
wrote:

[...]

Somewhat.

Volume of data doesn't matter.

But I believe it is best to leave it connected for most of the time,
but with at least one disconnect/reconnect per day.

And the speed you connect at will not really be fixed completely by
that either.

There are three separate "speeds" to be aware of.

One is the speed your router/modem actually synchs at. This will
normally be the highest speed it can that will give an SNR of around
6dB.

The second is the speed being talked about above, which is the "stable
rate", determined in the first 10 days. The main purpose of this, I
believe, is to be a "marker" so that it will be considered a fault if
your rate drops more than a certain percentage below that.

And then there is the BRAS rate, which is set semi-dynamically, in
increments of 500Kbs, and which will be your effective connection
speed. This is set normally set at the highest increment below lowest
synch speed you have experienced (minus overheads) within the last
three days.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
An oyster is a fish built like a nut.
Old August 2nd 06, 09:56 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Alex Heney wrote:
I'm a Demon adsl customer. Apparently we are all getting a free upgrade to
8Mb/sec in the near future, which is very nice.

And then there is the BRAS rate, which is set semi-dynamically, in
increments of 500Kbs, and which will be your effective connection
speed. This is set normally set at the highest increment below lowest
synch speed you have experienced (minus overheads) within the last
three days.

I am a F2S customer who regraded from 2mbps to MAX in June. For the 1st 2 weeks
the speed remained at approx 1800mbps and then then went down to 480mbps. Now
I am stuck at 240mbps. Increments, synch, overheads are of complete indifference
to me. All I want is the improvement in service implied by a regrade to MAX.
No amount of complaining makes a difference and I have the impression that
virtually all ISPs are them same which points the finger at BT. So far IDNET seems
to be receiving compliments for its service but I think you should expect a rocky
ride in the immediate future. F2S have acknowledged their service is poor but my
service to them via direct debit is first class. Perhaps I should throttle that !

Old August 2nd 06, 10:03 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Many thanks for the detailed explanation Alex. (3 responses to date and not
one has told me I'm an idiot / being anal - I must be doing well!)

Just one further question - you say "it is best to leave it connected for
most of the time, but with at least one disconnect/reconnect per day". Do
you mean the router, or the router and the computer? I leave the router on
24/7, but shut the principal computer down every night.

Many thanks again for taking the trouble to respond (and to the other
responders). Much appreciated.

Pete

Old August 2nd 06, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 10:03:28 +0100, "Peter Boulton"
wrote:

Many thanks for the detailed explanation Alex. (3 responses to date and not
one has told me I'm an idiot / being anal - I must be doing well!)

Just one further question - you say "it is best to leave it connected for
most of the time, but with at least one disconnect/reconnect per day". Do
you mean the router, or the router and the computer? I leave the router on
24/7, but shut the principal computer down every night.

The router.

I did exactly that during the 10 day period after being MAXed - turned
off the computer but left the router on overnight.

Normally I turn the router off overnight as well.
--
Alex Heney, Global Villager
A Bugless Program is an Abstract Theoretical Concept.