First Foray into Trixbox

Old August 1st 06, 09:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default First Foray into Trixbox

After mulling it over for a few months I decided finally to build an
Asterisk box (Trixbox 1.1) as I have a few different voip accounts and I'd
like to bring together 2 offices and home. Since my son had upgraded his PC
he sold me his "old" machine (2.6 GHz, 500 MB RAM, Win XP) for 50! Now I
had no excuse!

Nerdvittles' confidant "we'll get you up and running in an hour" proved a
little over ambitious, as thanks to problems with my Office PC it 4 hours
just to burn the ISO disk.

Anyway, I now have the software loaded; I can access the * machine from the
browser of one of the other PCs on the network and I've updated all the
passwords as instructed. The next step is to get updates for the software.
In Root I've entered the "Trixbox-update.sh update" command but it tells me
it's unable to Ping the Update.trixbox.org server.

My Router is a speedtouch 716G. I'm not particularly good when it comes to
understanding things like NAT, Port forwarding, DMZs etc but I have got a
number of voip phones working through it (voipfone) so I am capable of
following instructions.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what I need to do? In anticipation of
accessing the box remotely I've also set up a Dynamic DNS service with
Dyndns (although I'm not 100% sure of where I'm going with it). Any help
would be appreciated.

If there's a better Forum for Trixbox Newbies let me know and I'll take my
problems there.

TIA

Liam

Old August 1st 06, 09:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

[...]

Have you issued the command 'netconfig' and given the box a static address
and made sure the gateway address is pointing to your router?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 1st 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Telephoneman has brought this to us :
After mulling it over for a few months I decided finally to build an Asterisk
box (Trixbox 1.1) as I have a few different voip accounts and I'd like to
bring together 2 offices and home. Since my son had upgraded his PC he sold
me his "old" machine (2.6 GHz, 500 MB RAM, Win XP) for 50! Now I had no
excuse!

Nerdvittles' confidant "we'll get you up and running in an hour" proved a
little over ambitious, as thanks to problems with my Office PC it 4 hours
just to burn the ISO disk.

The hour doesn't iclude downloading the ISO & burning it.

Anyway, I now have the software loaded; I can access the * machine from the
browser of one of the other PCs on the network and I've updated all the
passwords as instructed. The next step is to get updates for the software. In
Root I've entered the "Trixbox-update.sh update" command but it tells me it's
unable to Ping the Update.trixbox.org server.

Can you ping it from your windows box?

I'm still on [email protected], though have tinkered with the vmware image
of Trixbox - the update script worked fine, so double check what you're
doing.

My Router is a speedtouch 716G. I'm not particularly good when it comes to
understanding things like NAT, Port forwarding, DMZs etc but I have got a
number of voip phones working through it (voipfone) so I am capable of
following instructions.

Mainly ports 5060 & 10001-20000, however IAX requires 4569 (IIRC)

Can anyone give me a clue as to what I need to do? In anticipation of
accessing the box remotely I've also set up a Dynamic DNS service with Dyndns
(although I'm not 100% sure of where I'm going with it). Any help would be
appreciated.

If there's a better Forum for Trixbox Newbies let me know and I'll take my
problems there.

Follow the nerdvittles site. also the forums at voxilla.com are very
useful. It would be woeth hanging around in the forums at trixbox.org.
There are quite a few users here, too.

TIA

Liam

Old August 1st 06, 09:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

on 01/08/2006, Graham. supposed :
[...]

Whether he has or hasn't he says he can an access the * machine from
the browser of one of the other PCs on the network

Old August 1st 06, 10:26 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Whether he has or hasn't he says he can an access the * machine from the
browser of one of the other PCs on the network

Yes from *inside* his LAN. But it seems to me that the box isn't seeing the
internet so I would set the gateway address manually rather than use DHCP

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 1st 06, 10:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Telephoneman wrote:
[snipped]
The next step is to get updates for the software.
In Root I've entered the "Trixbox-update.sh update" command but it tells me
it's unable to Ping the Update.trixbox.org server.

don't know if it's relevant, but that I checked back on my Trixbox and
I had "trixbox-update.sh" with a lower case for the "T"

My Router is a speedtouch 716G.
I'm not particularly good when it comes to
understanding things like NAT, Port forwarding, DMZs etc but I have got a
number of voip phones working through it (voipfone) so I am capable of
following instructions.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what I need to do? In anticipation of
accessing the box remotely I've also set up a Dynamic DNS service with
Dyndns (although I'm not 100% sure of where I'm going with it).

I have a 716g too. On the 716g admin pages:
I have a dyndns.org setup too.
in advanced-virtual server-dmz host: check IP address of DMZ host:
192.168.1.62 (my lan ip for the trixbox)
in advanced-virtual server-Dynamic dns: put your.dyndns.org details
in in advanced-virtual server-static DNS: put your dns.dyndns.org
mapped to 192.168.1.62 (in my case)

As a note aside, I'd say I DID have this setup without the DMZ and it
was working fine. I only added that when one of my trunks wouldn't work
properly though can't remember which one - I have quite a lot.

There are a few other 'tweaks' I've made, but I'm not sure they affect
the end result.

Old August 1st 06, 11:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Graham. wrote:
Whether he has or hasn't he says he can an access the * machine from the
browser of one of the other PCs on the network

Yes from *inside* his LAN. But it seems to me that the box isn't seeing the
internet so I would set the gateway address manually rather than use DHCP

If the setup's anything like [email protected] (I haven't tried Trixbox yet)
then on occasions I have found that the underlying Centos setup doesn't
'do' the network config correctly so running netconfig (or even just
setup) is a good idea - a 'classic' is no proper resolv.conf entries.

Note to OP - can you ping something - say news.bbc.co.uk??
Old August 1st 06, 11:15 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thanks Guys, I'll have a look at all theses points in the morning.
"paul123" wrote in message
ups.com...

Telephoneman wrote:
[snipped]
[...]

Yes, it was just a typo in the post.

Liam

Old August 2nd 06, 02:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

OK, I've entered all the port forwarding info etc as suggested. I've set up
the Static IP and run netconfig.

When I try to update "trixbox-update.sh update" it asks me to check my
network, however if I enter "ping upgrade.trixbox.org" it pings away quite
happily (incidentally, the first time I did this I didn't know how to stop
it pinging, LOL).

On another matter (let me know if I'm trying your patience) How do I load
FreePBX? The Nerdvittles info tells me that it will be on the main Trixbox
page (accessed the the PC browser) but it's not under applications - I've
only got SugarCRM. I have a copy of Freepbx 2.1.1 tar.gz on disk, how does
it load?

TIA

Liam

Old August 2nd 06, 02:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Telephoneman wrote:
[snipped]
On another matter (let me know if I'm trying your patience) How do I load
FreePBX? The Nerdvittles info tells me that it will be on the main Trixbox
page (accessed the the PC browser) but it's not under applications - I've
only got SugarCRM.

Right to this point, but you need to access sytem administration. The
Trixbox start page has a number of options in two groups - Asterisk and
Applications. These options a

Voicemail & Recordings
Web MeetMe Control
Flash Operator Panel
System Administration

ApplicationsSurgar CRM

Click on System Administration link in the Asterisk section and you'll
be prompted for username and password. The username here is maint and
the password is whatever you changed it to when you first installed.
You then get a page with various options - FreePBX is usually the first
option listed.

I have a copy of Freepbx 2.1.1 tar.gz on disk, how does it load?

You don't need to install FreePBX separately. It is installed along
with asterisk in the main installation from the CD.