The Broadband Boom and You

Old August 2nd 06, 02:17 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default The Broadband Boom and You

The Broadband Boom and You

Wed 2 Aug, 10:00 pm - 10:30 pm 30mins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/moneyprogramme
The Money Programme's Michael Robinson investigates broadband - one of the
fastest growing consumer products of all time with 70,000 people signing up
every week. There's now a bewildering variety of services and prices as the
telecom giants battle to get and keep customers, and Robinson follows the
experiences of families on a typical British street as they try to get to
grips with the new technology and the cut-price offers.

Old August 2nd 06, 11:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006 22:44:39 UTC, "www.amstereoradio.info"
wrote:

France are light years ahead then 24mb / HDTV for 20 a month not bad huh ?
Silly BT with their video phone, pathetic

24 millibits isn't very fast....

Anyway, how much of France does it cover? 1%? 0.1%?

euthanasia recommended. ]
Old August 3rd 06, 08:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"www.amstereoradio.info" wrote in message

| "www.amstereoradio.info" wrote in message
| The Broadband Boom and You
|

| Wed 2 Aug, 10:00 pm - 10:30 pm 30mins
|
| http://www.bbc.co.uk/moneyprogramme
|
| France are light years ahead then 24mb / HDTV for 20 a month not bad huh ?
| Silly BT with their video phone, pathetic

What they don't tell you is for the majority of France speeds are nowhere near
this.
Customer service in France, also makes TalkTalk look like Kings of Customer
service.

The program was like an advert for talk talk, blaming BT for the delay in
provision (nothing to do with them promising an earlier date than agreed with BT
then, just for TV)

It neglected to mention that NTL make loads of promises to cut costs and then
don't stick to them, then there is no record of the call or promise.

They needed to ask more people. It was very biased. I do agree that the BT
videophone was pathetic. They need to get away from trying to get every penny
out of people and provide better value.

Old August 3rd 06, 11:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Stan The Man" wrote in message

| I wonder if BT have done their research on videophones. A friend who
| works for Three tells me that all their directly supplied phones are
| videophones but less than 0.5% of all calls use the video function.

I very much doubt it. They seem to have 'good ideas' that nobody wants, and
can't supply what people do want.
They are money orientated down to the point of cutting quality and safety.
Whilst Broadband technology is new, BT are spending their money on the '21st
Century Network' which is basically a change from passing call data over the
current ATM backbone network and onto a private IP based structure. Yet, who is
that going to benefit in real terms? They say customers will be able to get more
out of their lines. At the end of the day, if it won't support the speed needed
to deliver all of these 'applications' as it describes them, where is the net
benefit??? I hope they will surprise us all with whopping speed gains, but I
won't hold my breath. I guess it will all take a step backwards to being charged
for what you use.

They just don't seem to have a clue. I am sure they still would rather us all
were using dialup, had fax lines and were slaves to the TELEX. I really don't
know how the hell they survive in business and continue to grow. It astounds me.

As for that program, it was just a long advert for TalkTalk. Obviously the
producer and Charles Dunstone belong to the same lodge, or, judging by the
presenter, someone threatened to cut his throat if he did not do it!!!!

Old August 3rd 06, 12:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Pier Danone
wrote:

"www.amstereoradio.info" wrote in message

| "www.amstereoradio.info" wrote in message
| The Broadband Boom and You
|

| Wed 2 Aug, 10:00 pm - 10:30 pm 30mins

http://www.bbc.co.uk/moneyprogramme

| France are light years ahead then 24mb / HDTV for 20 a month not bad huh ?
| Silly BT with their video phone, pathetic

What they don't tell you is for the majority of France speeds are nowhere near
this.
Customer service in France, also makes TalkTalk look like Kings of Customer
service.

The program was like an advert for talk talk, blaming BT for the delay in
provision (nothing to do with them promising an earlier date than agreed with
BT
then, just for TV)

It neglected to mention that NTL make loads of promises to cut costs and then
don't stick to them, then there is no record of the call or promise.

They needed to ask more people. It was very biased. I do agree that the BT
videophone was pathetic. They need to get away from trying to get every penny
out of people and provide better value.

I wonder if BT have done their research on videophones. A friend who
works for Three tells me that all their directly supplied phones are
videophones but less than 0.5% of all calls use the video function.

Stan