Could I get a faster connection?

Old August 2nd 06, 07:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Could I get a faster connection?

Folks,

I have a 1MB "business" service from BT - they say I cannot go faster befause of the distance to the
exchange. But on checking the router stats its says the "Attainable Rate" is 3040 / 1108.

Is that right ? ShoulD I hassle BT to crank up the speed? Or is there something that I havent
considered?

The router stats are (US Robotics 9105):

Mode: G.DMT
Type: Fast
Line Coding: Trellis On

Total ES: 13496
Total SES: 118
Total UAS: 685

Downstream Upstream
SNR Margin (dB): 18.0 26.0
Attenuation (dB): 59.0 31.5
Output Power (dBm): 11.9 6.6
Attainable Rate (Kbps): 3040 1108
Rate (Kbps): 1152 288
K (number of bytes in DMT frame): 37 10
R (number of check bytes in RS code word): 0 0
S (RS code word size in DMT frame): 1 1
D (interleaver depth): 1 1

Super Frames: 198253 198251
Super Frame Errors: 99 108
RS Words: 0 0
RS Correctable Errors: 0 0
RS Uncorrectable Errors: 0 N/A
HEC Errors: 63 24
OCD Errors: 0 0
LCD Errors: 0 0
ES Errors 0 0

Interestingly I currently have a line fault that means the voice connection is almost unuseable
because of noise. BT are supposed to fix this in the near future.

Yet the broadband seems to work fine. Odd....

TIA -Adam
Old August 3rd 06, 09:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Adam Lipscombe wrote:

I have a 1MB "business" service from BT

OK

Rate (Kbps): 1152 288

You still on a fixed rate connection then?

Interestingly I currently have a line fault that means the voice connection is almost
unuseable because of noise. BT are supposed to fix this in the near future.

Wait till your line fault is fixed, then go to

www.btbroadbandoffice.com/speedchanges

and get yourself onto DSL max (no cost increase but you will start
another 12 month contract) - but do get the line fault fixed *first*.

Yet the broadband seems to work fine. Odd....

Nah. Not that uncommon. But fixing it will may help your stats, and
on DSL Max that will give you a faster connection.

Regards

William MacLeod

Old August 3rd 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Adam Lipscombe wrote:
Folks,

I have a 1MB "business" service from BT - they say I cannot go faster
befause of the distance to the exchange. But on checking the router
stats its says the "Attainable Rate" is 3040 / 1108.

One thing to consider is that when you are on fixed rate, that figure is
likely to be with a target SNR margin of 3db - so if you do try max it's
going to fall (they start at 6db). On such a long line you may find that
6 is unstable also. Even worse if you suffer noise and sometimes resync
below 1152 you could end up with 1/2 meg.

The error counts need to be considered knowing uptime - and may be worse
at different times of day.

It depends on if you want to gamble a stable 1meg for something less
stable and possibly not much faster - I suppose you won't know unless
you try.

Andy.