Anyone got one of those Linksys wifi routers you can run Linux on?

Old August 2nd 06, 11:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Anyone got one of those Linksys wifi routers you can run Linux on?

If so, which model, and where did ya get it from? I heard the V5 models of
the WRT54G were less good for doing this. Can you still get the old ones?

Or does one now need the WRT54GL?

So what can you do with these things that's exciting? I primarily want it
for the SNMP whcih my Netgear DG834G won't do.

Cheers,

Fred.

Old August 2nd 06, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
If so, which model, and where did ya get it from? I heard the V5 models of
the WRT54G were less good for doing this. Can you still get the old ones?

Or does one now need the WRT54GL?

So what can you do with these things that's exciting? I primarily want it
for the SNMP whcih my Netgear DG834G won't do.

Cheers,

Fred.

Try www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk. They are pretty good at routers.

Alternatively try ebay.

Old August 3rd 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I think it depends on what open source s/w you are using.

Finding the right wrappers etc,also if you use linux you will already know
that on some open source s/w even though it says it has installed what you
need infact it has not.

When I messed about with linux I found mandrake 10 the most workable even
though I still had to install wrappers and configure etc.I think your best
bet is a dual boot,then whatever probs you encounter just google it.

Regards,

KNOBBER

Old August 3rd 06, 10:12 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

O BTW, in my experience most wrt54g`s do not have a problem with your
requirementsfirmware upgrades if need be depending on model & firmware
sometimes 3rd party f/w

Regards,

KNOBBER

Old August 6th 06, 06:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Fred Finisterre" wrote in message
If so, which model, and where did ya get it from? I heard the V5 models of
the WRT54G were less good for doing this. Can you still get the old ones?

Or does one now need the WRT54GL?

So what can you do with these things that's exciting? I primarily want it
for the SNMP whcih my Netgear DG834G won't do.

Cheers,

Fred.

I've used the openwrt distro to do this. To see what's supported and what
isn't check out http://openwrt.org/, particularly
http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardw...b680fdedcffe0d.

Old August 7th 06, 10:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 12:06:22 +0100, Fred Finisterre wrote:

If so, which model, and where did ya get it from? I heard the V5 models of
the WRT54G were less good for doing this. Can you still get the old ones?

Or does one now need the WRT54GL?

So what can you do with these things that's exciting? I primarily want it
for the SNMP whcih my Netgear DG834G won't do.

Cheers,

Fred.

I have a WRT54GL and I run DD-WRT on it.

I use it for Quality Of Service (QoS) for VoIP, and to use DHCP to provide
fixed addresses to some of my equipment. I quite like the display of
signal strength from clients and the real time stats update on the web
interface too.

Version 5 of the WRT54G has less memory than the others and ships with
VxWorks instead of linux. It is still possible to run linux firmware with
less features, but easier to buy the WRT54GL which is basically the same
as version 4.

Steve.