Pay as you go & router setup

Old August 2nd 06, 06:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Pay as you go & router setup

Our new router's default idle timeout setting is 0. If the ISP service
is PAYG, will the router have generated a large bill over the 4 days it
was running in this configuration?

Will we have to re-mortgage the house?

John Marsh.

Old August 2nd 06, 07:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

" wrote:

Our new router's default idle timeout setting is 0. If the ISP service
is PAYG, will the router have generated a large bill over the 4 days it
was running in this configuration?

Will we have to re-mortgage the house?

Since most PAYG packages today include ~ 2GB that's not really a problem.

Graham

Old August 2nd 06, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 2 Aug 2006, " wrote:

Our new router's default idle timeout setting is 0. If the ISP service
is PAYG, will the router have generated a large bill over the 4 days it
was running in this configuration?

Will we have to re-mortgage the house?

Depends on who your account is with. A tiny number have been charged by
the minute. Without knowing which ISP and which account, how can you
expect to get answers from the newsgroup ? It is common to use "0"
on a router because for most account types, the "always on" aspect
of ADSL has no cost implication for the user, just allows us "instant"
access to web pages etc.
Old August 2nd 06, 11:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 2 Aug 2006, poster wrote:

It is common to use "0" on a router because for most account types,
the "always on" aspect of ADSL has no cost implication for the user,
just allows us "instant" access to web pages etc.

Also, with plusnet's many reported brown-outs of their authentication
server, staying up all the time promises a better chance of staying
alive at times when a restart would fail to authenticate. Happened to
me a week or so back - I had switched off the router while I was out
of the house, and when I got back and turned it on again, the ADSL
sync was fine but I couldn't get past the authentication.

Tip: if this happens to you, don't just let it keep trying. Turn the
router off for 10 mins or so (some people say as much as half an hour)
then try again. You may get a different wossisname (my router calls
it the "PPP Peer Address") which might have better communication with
an authentication server. Rinse, repeat as necessary...

I am however concerned (as I've said in previous postings) that if
someone took a dislike to a particular user, they could arrange to
shower their IP address with packets, and Plusnet would expect the
victim to pay for them. And - don't set the router up to reject such
bad packets, or that risks doubling the cost for no obvious benefit.
Just tell the router to drop them on the floor.
Old August 3rd 06, 09:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Thanks for all the advice. I apologise for the lack of detail:- I'm
new to router & ISP matters and I'm not the account holder. BT Yahoo
is the ISP.