Access Point advice please

Old August 2nd 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Access Point advice please

Hi,
I have a Netgear WG602 Access Point setup and connected to my Netgear DG834
ADSL Router. When I try to connect my laptop to the Access Point which can be
right next to me, I can only see three other networks that do not belong to
me. How can I make it so I can see my network and not these others.
Thanks
Old August 3rd 06, 11:54 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Cyberdog wrote:

Hi,
I have a Netgear WG602 Access Point setup and connected to my Netgear DG834
ADSL Router. When I try to connect my laptop to the Access Point which can be
right next to me, I can only see three other networks that do not belong to
me. How can I make it so I can see my network and not these others.
Thanks

I *think* that what must be happening is that you're seeing the other
networks via your laptop's wireless card - i.e. nothing to do with your
Access Point.
Have you configured your access point yet?
It'll come on a default IP address, eg. 192.168.0.1 or 10.0.0.1 or
similar. You need to have a PC (or PC plugged into a similarly
configured router) in the same IP range, then you should be able to
access the AP setup page from a web browser by putting in the IP
address. Once you've got this, set the SSID up, turn off DHCP (you
don't want a router AND an AP giving out IP addresses) and you should
be good to go. Get it working without security and then turn on
WEP/WPA/etc...

Old August 6th 06, 12:30 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On 3 Aug 2006 02:54:28 -0700, "ric" wrote:

I *think* that what must be happening is that you're seeing the other
networks via your laptop's wireless card - i.e. nothing to do with your
Access Point.

Hi,
Good point, and I would agree with you. But why is it seeing a network that
only has a strength of 7% as apposed to my network which is 100%, and is the
last network to be seen.