I'm confused / skype / voip / sipgate

Old August 3rd 06, 11:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default I'm confused / skype / voip / sipgate

I'm a bit new at this - soplease bear with me.

I have Skype on my pc and pda mainly becsuse I have family across the
Atlantic and they use Skype too. I use it on the PDA when away from
home.

I'm confused about the differences between what i understand to be voip
and sip - are the two compattible?

I know I cannot use Skype to totally replace the house phone (NTL) as I
have to have the pc on to use it but - is it thensame with SIP?

I have signed up for Sipgate and have a geographic number - and I think
I now have to get one of those boxes that willl connect my house phones
to the router (cable modem always on) .... but will that mean I can
replace the house phone?

Can I have Sipgate and Skype on the computer at the same time (would
like to keep Skype as it's so useful re family).

Thanks

Mick

Old August 3rd 06, 12:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Mick" wrote in message

I'm a bit new at this - soplease bear with me.

I have Skype on my pc and pda mainly becsuse I have
family across the Atlantic and they use Skype too. I use
it on the PDA when away from home.

I'm confused about the differences between what i
understand to be voip and sip - are the two compattible?

Skype uses its own proprietary protocol (SIP is a protocol also but it is
"open" meaning anyone can use it, write applications for it, etc.) Skype's
system can't be used by anyone else.

I know I cannot use Skype to totally replace the house
phone (NTL) as I have to have the pc on to use it but -
is it thensame with SIP?

No, you can use an ATA (Analogue Telephone Adaptor)

I have signed up for Sipgate and have a geographic number
- and I think I now have to get one of those boxes that
willl connect my house phones to the router (cable modem
always on) .... but will that mean I can replace the
house phone?

In theory, as you're on cable, yes. You can have broadband over cable
without a phone service, but be aware that very few VoIP services offer
emergency call access, so keep a mobile handy if you ever do need to make
that 999 call.

Can I have Sipgate and Skype on the computer at the same
time (would like to keep Skype as it's so useful re
family).

You don't need a computer to use a SIP service such as Sipgate (well apart
from initial configuration of the device you use, then it can be off).
I've heard rumours that X-Lite (the softphone supplied by Sipgate) and
Skype don't co-exist on the same PC very well, but others have said
they've done it. I've never attempted it (don't use Skype) so I don't know
for certain. You're far better off with a hardware ATA for SIP anyway.

Ivor

Old August 3rd 06, 12:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 12:07:10 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

"Mick" wrote in message

I'm a bit new at this - soplease bear with me.

I have Skype on my pc and pda mainly becsuse I have
family across the Atlantic and they use Skype too. I use
it on the PDA when away from home.

I'm confused about the differences between what i
understand to be voip and sip - are the two compattible?

Skype uses its own proprietary protocol (SIP is a protocol also but it is
"open" meaning anyone can use it, write applications for it, etc.) Skype's
system can't be used by anyone else.

Which means that you have a very wide range in choice of operator
tariffs.
Check out
voip.co.uk (2/month for free eve and weekend UK calls + 2p/call peak
time. 999 service - but don't rely on it totally - have a mobile phone
at hand)
sipdiscount.com (300 mins 'free' per week inc USA)
internetcalls.com (300 mins 'free' per week inc USA)
voipfone.co.uk (very good services such as 1471, voicemail, Caller
display etc.)
voiptalk.org

[...]

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old August 3rd 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ivor Jones wrote:

"Mick" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks Ivor

So - I can keep skype on the pc for keeping in touch with family who
have skype - and use an ATA to make sipgate calls using the house
phones ....and the ATA will work with DECT phones?

There's no conflict with any software on the pc for Sipgate with Skype
(I wouldn't use a softphone for sipgate).??

Mick

Old August 3rd 06, 12:55 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Mick" wrote in message

[snip]

So - I can keep skype on the pc for keeping in touch
with family who have skype - and use an ATA to make
sipgate calls using the house phones ....and the ATA will
work with DECT phones?

Any landline phone. If you want recommendations for an ATA, ask, plenty of
people here will advise. I like the AVM Fritz!Box range (www.avm.de/en -
although most of these have a built in ADSL modem, you can disable it) or
Sipura www.sipura.com

There's no conflict with any software on the pc for
Sipgate with Skype (I wouldn't use a softphone for
sipgate).??

Ok, but you said could you have Skype and Sipgate on the computer at the
same time, which is why I thought that. No problem then.

Ivor

Old August 3rd 06, 06:49 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Ivor Jones wrote:

"Mick" wrote in message

[snip]

So - I can keep skype on the pc for keeping in touch
with family who have skype - and use an ATA to make
sipgate calls using the house phones ....and the ATA will
work with DECT phones?

Any landline phone. If you want recommendations for an ATA, ask,
plenty of people here will advise. I like the AVM Fritz!Box range
(www.avm.de/en - although most of these have a built in ADSL modem,
you can disable it) or Sipura www.sipura.com

There's no conflict with any software on the pc for
Sipgate with Skype (I wouldn't use a softphone for
sipgate).??

Ok, but you said could you have Skype and Sipgate on the computer at
the same time, which is why I thought that. No problem then.

Ivor

Ivor

Thanks very much - I appreciate your patience.

I'll start a seperate thread for advice on an ATA.

From what you say, I think I shall be able to remove the home phone
line from NTL whilst keeping their broadband service - and run Sipgate
using the house DECT phones for external outgoing and incoming calls
and Skype for pc topc calls at the same time.

Regards

Mick

Old August 3rd 06, 08:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

In theory, as you're on cable, yes. You can have broadband over cable
without a phone service

I would do this without hesitation if I could.
The problem being when Ninex (later NTL) cabled this district, they left
this street out.
As my company kindly pay for my broadband service I would save a lot.

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Old August 4th 06, 10:52 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 09:55:07 +0100, The Invalid
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 10:29:06 GMT, "Mick" wrote:

I'm a bit new at this - soplease bear with me.

I have Skype on my pc and pda mainly becsuse I have family across the
Atlantic and they use Skype too. I use it on the PDA when away from
home.

I'm confused about the differences between what i understand to be voip
and sip - are the two compattible?

I know I cannot use Skype to totally replace the house phone (NTL) as I
have to have the pc on to use it but - is it thensame with SIP?

With the new phones you don't have to have your PC on any more for
Skype
They are a bit expensive though

They are. I tend to think that people who fork out for Skype add-ons
do it largely because they know no other. Rather like people who route
all their calls through BT. SIP VoiP has to be cheaper and better in
the long run.

The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently doesn't, is
video. Doubtless that will come, we'll all be buying cordless phones
with video - or perhaps using our mobile phones on WiFi to access
video calls.
Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old August 4th 06, 11:54 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Brian A" wrote in message

[snip]

The only thing that Skype does, that SIP VoIP currently
doesn't, is video. Doubtless that will come, we'll all be
buying cordless phones with video - or perhaps using our
mobile phones on WiFi to access video calls.

Sipgate were experimenting with it at this year's CeBit exhibition in
Germany. There was a video clip of it on the site but it seems
to have disappeared. It looked to work well but I don't know how much the
phones were..!

Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone call. For business
calls I suppose it might have a place, but do you really want people to
see you when you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!

Ivor

Old August 6th 06, 04:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"The Invalid" wrote in message

On Fri, 4 Aug 2006 11:54:33 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

[snip]

Personally, video is the last thing I want in a phone
call. For business calls I suppose it might have a
place, but do you really want people to see you when
you've just got out of the bath to answer the phone..?!

Ivor

The don't turn the camera on, fool.

No need to be insulting.

Skype Video is ideal for home and family use.

If you like that sort of thing (Skype).

Ivor