Rural move?

Old August 3rd 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Rural move?

May have the chance of a move to a rural location. Is there any way I can
check to see what exchange I will be on from the postcode? I've heard there
are some rural exchanges that simply will not, ever, be broadband enabled.
Just want to check it's not one of those...

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.xenu.net/

http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

Old August 3rd 06, 08:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

May have the chance of a move to a rural location. Is there any way I
can check to see what exchange I will be on from the postcode? I've
heard there are some rural exchanges that simply will not, ever, be
broadband enabled. Just want to check it's not one of those...

Only a handful have not. What is the postcode?

Peter Crosland

Old August 3rd 06, 09:23 PM
jannerboy's Avatar
jannerboy jannerboy is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Hemmings
May have the chance of a move to a rural location. Is there any way I can
check to see what exchange I will be on from the postcode? I've heard there
are some rural exchanges that simply will not, ever, be broadband enabled.
Just want to check it's not one of those...

Les

--
Remove Frontal Lobes to reply direct.

http://armsofmorpheus.blogspot.com/

http://www.xenu.net/

http://www.venganza.org/index.htm

Les Hemmings a.a #2251 SA

dslzone, www.dslzoneuk.net has a couple of useful tools for checking exchange details & broadband speed.
you will need to enter a tel no/postcode for the relevant area. (pub/village store?)
most rural exchanges should be able to provide at least a 512kbs broadband connection .
good luck.
Old August 3rd 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 19:48:27 +0100, Les Hemmings
wrote:

May have the chance of a move to a rural location. Is there any way I
can
check to see what exchange I will be on from the postcode? I've heard
there
are some rural exchanges that simply will not, ever, be broadband
enabled.
Just want to check it's not one of those...

Les

Hi Les,

You can check the postcode at either

http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

or

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

both should show which exchange you'd be on and whether it's been enabled
or not.

Old August 4th 06, 07:14 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter Crosland wrote:
May have the chance of a move to a rural location. Is there any way I
can check to see what exchange I will be on from the postcode? I've
heard there are some rural exchanges that simply will not, ever, be
broadband enabled. Just want to check it's not one of those...

Only a handful have not. What is the postcode?

CT4 6RN

Not looking good...

Peter Crosland

Old August 4th 06, 10:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

May have the chance of a move to a rural location. Is there any way
I can check to see what exchange I will be on from the postcode?
I've heard there are some rural exchanges that simply will not,
ever, be broadband enabled. Just want to check it's not one of
those...

Only a handful have not. What is the postcode?

CT4 6RN

Not looking good...

According to my system this is not a valid postcode. Have you got a road
name?

Peter Crosland

Old August 4th 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter Crosland wrote:

May have the chance of a move to a rural location. Is there any way
I can check to see what exchange I will be on from the postcode?
I've heard there are some rural exchanges that simply will not,
ever, be broadband enabled. Just want to check it's not one of
those...

Only a handful have not. What is the postcode?

CT4 6RN

Not looking good...

According to my system this is not a valid postcode. Have you got a road
name?

Strange that Google shows several addresses with that postcode then ! Also
streetmap finds it fine. looks like Wootton Lane to me.

Do you get *everything* wrong ?

Graham

Old August 4th 06, 05:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

May have the chance of a move to a rural location. Is there any way
I can check to see what exchange I will be on from the postcode?
I've heard there are some rural exchanges that simply will not,
ever, be broadband enabled. Just want to check it's not one of
those...

Only a handful have not. What is the postcode?

CT4 6RN

Not looking good...

I suspect that there are some errors in various databases. After a bit of
digging I found the following

http://www.prodigynet.co.uk/menu.php.../adsllinecheck

ADSL Line check

Telephone number : 01303844247
BT exchange : SELSTED
Real time check : Yes

Line speed capabilities

Rate adaptive (250k and 500k) : Green
Fixed Rate (1000k and 2000k) : Green
MAX speed (upto 8000k) : No data available yet

250k, 500k, 1000k and 2000k speeds are all available on this line.
Higher speeds upto 8000k may also be possible on this line when available on
this exchange.

Line status

This looks like a normal BT exchange line with no ADSL enabled.

Exchange status

BT have recently reviewed the status of this exchange but have
concluded that it is currently unviable for adsl.

The number checked is one of a builder with the same postcode so it does not
look as though it will be enabled.

Peter Crosland

Old August 4th 06, 06:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter Crosland wrote:
I suspect that there are some errors in various databases. After a
bit of digging I found the following

http://www.prodigynet.co.uk/menu.php.../adsllinecheck

ADSL Line check

Telephone number : 01303844247
BT exchange : SELSTED
Real time check : Yes

The number checked is one of a builder with the same postcode so it
does not look as though it will be enabled.

Peter Crosland

I found out it has 26 people registered for wanting broadband but no trigger
level set yet. How do you go about registering and could a concerted effort
by "someone" digging out all the 'phone numbers, post codes etc. for the
Selsted exchange and registering them "by proxy" make BT take notice and
convert the exchange?

Les

Old August 4th 06, 07:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I suspect that there are some errors in various databases. After a
bit of digging I found the following

http://www.prodigynet.co.uk/menu.php.../adsllinecheck

ADSL Line check

Telephone number : 01303844247
BT exchange : SELSTED
Real time check : Yes

The number checked is one of a builder with the same postcode so it
does not look as though it will be enabled.

I found out it has 26 people registered for wanting broadband but no
trigger level set yet. How do you go about registering and could a
concerted effort by "someone" digging out all the 'phone numbers,
post codes etc. for the Selsted exchange and registering them "by
proxy" make BT take notice and convert the exchange?

It is not as simple as that. If BT have classified the exchange as unviable
it means that the cost of converting it is uneconomic probably because they
have no fibre optic to the exchange. Unless the County Council or someone
esle is prepared to subsidise it then there is little chance of it ever
being enabled.

Peter Crosland