Which ATA device?

Old August 3rd 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Which ATA device?

Well, I think I have managed to sort out that I can use Skype for
pc/pda to pc chats with family - and Sipgate to replace my NTL
landline telephone ..... but .... I need an ATA to connect my house
DECT phones to the router.

I'd appreciate some advice please as to which ATA to settle for,

My broadband is cable - always on - using a Terayon moden piped into a
Belking wireless router (spare LAN port available).

Are all ATA's much the same? Is there one suited to my needs that
doesn't include a built in router? Is that even an issue?
Given that I', no techie - but that i can deal with static IP's etc,
What would you suggest with the above set up?

Thanks in advance.

Mick

Old August 3rd 06, 06:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

--

Linksys/Sipura SPA1001

Old August 3rd 06, 07:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 17:58:36 GMT, "Jono"
wrote:

"Mick" wrote in message
Well, I think I have managed to sort out that I can use Skype for
pc/pda to pc chats with family - and Sipgate to replace my NTL
landline telephone ..... but .... I need an ATA to connect my house
DECT phones to the router.

I'd appreciate some advice please as to which ATA to settle for,

My broadband is cable - always on - using a Terayon moden piped into a
Belking wireless router (spare LAN port available).

Are all ATA's much the same? Is there one suited to my needs that
doesn't include a built in router? Is that even an issue?
Given that I', no techie - but that i can deal with static IP's etc,
What would you suggest with the above set up?

Thanks in advance.

Mick

--

Linksys/Sipura SPA1001

Yes, good choice if you want to have 2 telephone numbers terminating
on a single set of handsets. For 2 separate sets of handsets, each
with their own numbers, PAP2 or Sipura/Linksys SPA-2000 or
variations. If you buy a PAP2 make sure that it is not, and never has
been. locked to Vonage - I would advise NOT to buy one second hand as
you don't know its history.
If you want to increase the number of outgoing providers on the PAP2
etc. it is possible by use of external services.

The SPA-3000 does have the advantage that it will readily cater for up
to 5 outgoing providers. It does, however, have a PSTN input which
will be of no use to you if you are ditching your landline.

Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.
Old August 3rd 06, 07:38 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Brian A" wrote in message

What would you suggest with the above set up?

Linksys/Sipura SPA1001

Yes, good choice if you want to have 2 telephone numbers terminating
on a single set of handsets.

I thought I'd added more than just the make & model !

SPA1001 /because/ the OP may want to have a back up provider, other than
Sipgate, especially if he's ditching his landline /also/ he wants to connect
the device to his home phones /so/ unless he's having a PABX, or has his
house wired the American way, the SPA1001 is /perfect/

Old August 3rd 06, 07:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Jono wrote:

"Brian A" wrote in message

What would you suggest with the above set up?

Linksys/Sipura SPA1001

Yes, good choice if you want to have 2 telephone numbers terminating
on a single set of handsets.

I thought I'd added more than just the make & model !

SPA1001 because the OP may want to have a back up provider, other
than Sipgate, especially if he's ditching his landline also he wants
to connect the device to his home phones so unless he's having a
PABX, or has his house wired the American way, the SPA1001 is perfect

Linksys/Sipura SPA1001 would appear to be the one for me then!

My backup would be the mobile for 999 calls .... if the Sipgate service
fell down.

My main aim is the ditch NTL for landline as it's an unwanted monthly
line rental of ?11 plus supposed cheap calls for an additional ?5 plus
caller ID for another ?1.75. After that I still have to pay about ?6
monthly call charges.

Buying the SPA1001 at about ?55 means I will be in 'profit' (in theory)
in about 6 months. Should save me about ?175 - ?200 a year.

Many thanks indeed for your advice.

Regards

Mick