Downtime when changing ISP via MAC

Old August 3rd 06, 08:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Downtime when changing ISP via MAC

If I request my MAC from PlusNet (I have not been LLU'd) and signup with Zen
using it, is the transfer seamless or will I experience any down time?

Old August 3rd 06, 09:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 3 Aug 2006 20:53:53 +0100, R.Daneel Olivaw [email protected] wrote:

If I request my MAC from PlusNet (I have not been LLU'd) and signup with
Zen
using it, is the transfer seamless or will I experience any down time?

Hi,

With a Mac transfer there's generally no downtime (maybe a five or ten
minutes overnight as the actual changeover happens at most) as the
migration process is pretty seamless. You'll be disconnected from us, and
then you just need to change your username to the new ISP's and so long as
they've activated your account their side you'll be back online straight
away.

Old August 3rd 06, 09:20 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote:

If I request my MAC from PlusNet (I have not been LLU'd) and signup with Zen
using it, is the transfer seamless or will I experience any down time?

In one case a migration left me with no service for around 18 hours, while
in another case I noticed a drop, and within an hour or two, was online on
the new ISP. I expect the general view is that you may have an hour or 2
but IME you could be off most of the working day.

Only way to avoid the inevitable downtime is with a second line on another
ISP (eg Bulldog PAYG a/c costing a few pence a minute *when* you use it,
with no monthly fee, but obviously a monthly line rental)
Old August 3rd 06, 10:00 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote in message
If I request my MAC from PlusNet (I have not been LLU'd) and signup with
Zen using it, is the transfer seamless or will I experience any down time?

I didn't even notice as it was done at night. I only noticed when I
couldn't connect to my old ISP. Then I realised I had to change the details
on the router and away it went.
People I know that have changed over say the most it has been down is
30mins. Most are done within 10 mins. You will probably not even notice.

Old August 3rd 06, 10:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"PlusNet Support Team" wrote:

and so long as they've activated your account their side you'll be back
online straight away.

.... and if they haven't, you could be waiting all day, perhaps...

My connection with the other ISP died around midnight, and I made at least
a couple of phone calls to ask if the account could be activated ASAP.
I think (being a patient soul) my first phone call was around 6am....

4:xxpm, xxxx day xxth June 2005
======

Customer was mailed ([email protected]) to inform them of their ADSL
activation

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

We are pleased to inform you that your PlusNet Broadband Plus - Up to 2Mb
(Monthly Contract, No Modem) ADSL connection is now active. .....
Old August 4th 06, 01:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

simon wrote:
"R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote in message

If I request my MAC from PlusNet (I have not been LLU'd) and signup with
Zen using it, is the transfer seamless or will I experience any down time?

I didn't even notice as it was done at night. I only noticed when I
couldn't connect to my old ISP. Then I realised I had to change the details
on the router and away it went.
People I know that have changed over say the most it has been down is
30mins. Most are done within 10 mins. You will probably not even notice.

When I migrated from Pipex to Plusnet, and then from Plusnet to Eclipse on both
occasions there was actually an overlap. I was still connected to the 'old' ISP
when I changed my router log-on to the new one. On rebooting up came the 'new' ISP.

In both cases I made my switch at 18:00hrs on the stated day of migration.

--
Mark
Old August 5th 06, 12:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"R.Daneel Olivaw" [email protected] wrote:

If I request my MAC from PlusNet (I have not been LLU'd) and signup with Zen
using it, is the transfer seamless or will I experience any down time?

When I migrated from Plusnet it was seamless.

I got home from work, found I could still connect via Plusnet on my migration day
(router had been on all day). Phoned Zen to check whether they had got things ready
(waited 15 seconds (yes seconds) to get to a human being. They said they had my
account running and that I needed to enter my Zen info into the router to finally
drop Plusnet. I did this, rebooted the router and connected via Zen

Straightforward. And Zen support are a pleasure to deal with.

--

Andrew Sayers