Migrating with a MAC code ... email address?

Old August 3rd 06, 10:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Migrating with a MAC code ... email address?

When changing ISP with a MAC code, is there any way of retaining your
old email address and having it ported over to your new ISP?

Or does the old email address die when you migrate?

Another question - what happens if your ISP won't give you a MAC code?
My ISP says MAC codes are not available (or needed) as my line is on
an LLU circuit.

How difficult is it to change ISPs without a MAC code?

Old August 3rd 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

It happens that Tony Polson formulated :
When changing ISP with a MAC code, is there any way of retaining your
old email address and having it ported over to your new ISP?

Or does the old email address die when you migrate?

You may lose access to your email account. Some ISPs will continue to
allow access for n months, some may only allow access from their
connection - you may have to retain a dial-up connection for collection
purposes (and to keep the account live), others kill the account.

Another question - what happens if your ISP won't give you a MAC code?
My ISP says MAC codes are not available (or needed) as my line is on
an LLU circuit.

How difficult is it to change ISPs without a MAC code?

Painful. If you're not prepared to pay for a second line installing, it
is likely that you will be without broadband for n days or months
(n=undefined quantity)

Old August 4th 06, 12:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
When changing ISP with a MAC code, is there any way of retaining your
old email address and having it ported over to your new ISP?

Depends...
I was lucky when I changed my ISP, as I asked my old ISP if I could remain
as a pay-as-you-go dial-up customer.
They said yes, so I retained my old email address on that basis.
However, I set up a POP3 account for the old email address via my new
broadband supplier and have never accessed the old account by dial-up.
It's still working after a year now and I can access the old account via
webmail too.
(I'm not sayng who my old ISP was in case someone from there is reading this
and pulls the plug!)

Another question - what happens if your ISP won't give you a MAC code?
My ISP says MAC codes are not available (or needed) as my line is on
an LLU circuit.

How difficult is it to change ISPs without a MAC code?

ISPs are not obliged to give out MAC codes.
If you're not sure if your ISP does, ask them.
If not, you will probably have to cease service with the old ISP and have a
new provision from the new one (with a break in service).

Hope that helps,

George

Old August 4th 06, 01:07 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Tony Polson" wrote in message
When changing ISP with a MAC code, is there any way of retaining your
old email address and having it ported over to your new ISP?

Or does the old email address die when you migrate?

some or all ISPs will forward your email to your new account. It should be
possible to make an arrangement with them to do this, possibly by paying a
small amount as a one off payment or pay so much a year.

I use a gmail account nowadays which is independent of any ISP and therefore
not a problem to change ISP. Gmail gives almost 3Gb of storage free! HTH.

Old August 4th 06, 07:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

:
: Or does the old email address die when you migrate?
:
: Another question - what happens if your ISP won't give you a MAC code?
: My ISP says MAC codes are not available (or needed) as my line is on
: an LLU circuit.
:
: How difficult is it to change ISPs without a MAC code?

use a domain name email account which is independent of any ISP and
therefore
not a problem to change ISP,for around 5ukp a year take a look here
http://host.kick-butt.co.uk

this can be a problem you may have to you will probably have to cease
service with
the old ISP and wait for the marker to clear.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk