payg broadband

Old August 4th 06, 02:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default payg broadband

Hello all
I am thinking of switching to Broadband from my present dialup.
I considered Bulldog payg since this type of thing would suit me
better than a fixed price contract. I was considering Bulldog, but
have now found out that Bulldog payg is not available in my area.
Can anyone recommend a payg broadband service ?
TIA
Stuart

Old August 4th 06, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Stuart Crow wrote:

Hello all
I am thinking of switching to Broadband from my present dialup.
I considered Bulldog payg since this type of thing would suit me
better than a fixed price contract. I was considering Bulldog, but
have now found out that Bulldog payg is not available in my area.
Can anyone recommend a payg broadband service ?
TIA
Stuart

Would you care to define PAYG?

Whereas with dial-up internet services the term usually means paying for how
much connection time you use, for broadband it usually (there may be
exceptions) means paying for how much data you transfer.

For example, I am on PlusNet's PAYG broadband service which costs 14.99 per
month for up to 2GB of data transfer - with extra charges if additional
bandwidth is used. Is this the sort of thing you're looking for?

PlusNet have had a lot of bad publicity recently, partly as a result of
having a major accident with a large volume of their customers' email data.
However, that aside, they are fairly reliable, and probably no worse than
anyone else.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Old August 4th 06, 03:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 15:12:40 +0100, Roger Mills wrote:

In an earlier contribution to this discussion, Stuart Crow
wrote:

Hello all
I am thinking of switching to Broadband from my present dialup. I
considered Bulldog payg since this type of thing would suit me better
than a fixed price contract. I was considering Bulldog, but have now
found out that Bulldog payg is not available in my area. Can anyone
recommend a payg broadband service ? TIA
Stuart

Would you care to define PAYG?

Whereas with dial-up internet services the term usually means paying for
how much connection time you use, for broadband it usually (there may be
exceptions) means paying for how much data you transfer.

I see Bulldog does advertise a charge per minute PAYG service. I have seen
others, but not recently.
Old August 4th 06, 04:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Stuart Crow wrote:
Hello all
I am thinking of switching to Broadband from my present dialup.
I considered Bulldog payg since this type of thing would suit me
better than a fixed price contract. I was considering Bulldog, but
have now found out that Bulldog payg is not available in my area.
Can anyone recommend a payg broadband service ?
TIA
Stuart

Hi,

Did you check http://www.getbroadband-online.co.uk/ yet? Also should
you need free speedtest go http://www.speedtest-online.co.uk/ for that
one. Hope this helps...Pappa

Old August 4th 06, 06:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Stuart Crow" wrote in message

I am thinking of switching to Broadband from my present dialup.
I considered Bulldog payg since this type of thing would suit me
better than a fixed price contract. I was considering Bulldog, but
have now found out that Bulldog payg is not available in my area.
Can anyone recommend a payg broadband service ?

Perhaps Nildram?
http://broadband.nildram.net/products/bb2go/

I think you might like to re-visit your interpretation of PAYG however, as
there is usually a fixed fee per month, albeit with some data transfer
included. I don't know of any other provider who charges on the basis of
'traditional' PAYG dial-up access.

Make your own mind up, but my advice would be to /not/ even consider Plusnet
as one of your alternatives.

Old August 4th 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Roger Mills wrote:

PlusNet have had a lot of bad publicity recently, partly as a result
of having a major accident with a large volume of their customers'
email data. However, that aside, they are fairly reliable,

Hmmm! possibly.

and probably no worse than anyone else.

It may be there are ISPs who are even worse but there are certainly ISPs who
are better than Plusnet. Therefore Plusnet is worse than at least some
ISPs.

--
Old Codger
e-mail use reply to field

Old August 4th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Stuart Crow" wrote in message
: Hello all
: I am thinking of switching to Broadband from my present dialup.
: I considered Bulldog payg since this type of thing would suit me
: better than a fixed price contract. I was considering Bulldog, but
: have now found out that Bulldog payg is not available in my area.
: Can anyone recommend a payg broadband service ?
: TIA
: Stuart
:

Most if not all payg broadband is not like payg dial-up where you pay for
time on line,payg broadband is more along the lines of a fix fee.You may be
better of looking for a low coat account if you are a light user.

Chris

--
Cheap As Chips Broadband http://yeah.kick-butt.co.uk
Superb hosting & domain name deals http://host.kick-butt.co.uk