Euro1net and NNTP

Old August 5th 06, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Euro1net and NNTP

After weeks of saying that they were 'working to upgrade the news server',
it still doesn't work and there is now no mention of it in their FAQs,
which used to give its URL.

It seems that they have given up on NNTP.

Which really ****es me off, because I carefully checked that there was such
a beast before giving them my money.

--
Joe Soap.
JUNK is stuff that you keep for 20 years,

Old August 5th 06, 02:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 5 Aug 2006, Joe Soap ] wrote:

It seems that they have given up on NNTP.

Which really ****es me off, because I carefully checked that there was such
a beast before giving them my money.

They're not the first (and won't be the last) ISP that has decided to withdraw
from offering news access, or binary newsgroups. At the moment Astraweb has a
deal on http://www.news.astraweb.com/ where you can buy 90 GB for US$ 25 and
it has no "expiry" time. It might even work out cheaper than using NIN if you
use mostly text groups. Alternatively for binaries, some use newsguy.com, and
there are a range of others, from US$ 2.50/month (5 GB monthly limit) to $6 (a
2 GB/day limit) and up to about $15 (unlimited traffic per month - watch for a
limit form your ISP though :-) Good luck! Peter Morgan.
Old August 5th 06, 10:11 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

oups.com:

Joe Soap wrote:
After weeks of saying that they were 'working to upgrade the news
server', it still doesn't work and there is now no mention of it in
their FAQs, which used to give its URL.

It seems that they have given up on NNTP.

Which really ****es me off, because I carefully checked that there
was such a beast before giving them my money.

--
Joe Soap.

I am some what annoyed too because I joined because they had
newsgroups so I mailed their support and got the reply:-

"Euro1Net has decided to not provide newsgroup access now. I\'m sorry
for the inconvenienced this might have caused you.

There are various other servers and news services available on the web
either free or subscription-based if newsgroup access is important to
you."

*******s. There *are* free servers to download from e.g. Freetext, but the
only one I know of that allows posting is Gazeta. That one is Polish!

Old August 6th 06, 01:16 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

In ,
Joe Soap ] opined loudly:
oups.com:

Joe Soap wrote:
[...]

Try "aioe.org" its free but posting is restricted to 25 per day.. ...
better than nothing
--

Yddap

Old August 6th 06, 10:37 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Joe Soap wrote:
oups.com:

Joe Soap wrote:
[...]

For a free text only server try nntp.aioe.org
--
Adrian