Sky broadband offer..

Old August 6th 06, 02:18 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.telecom.broadband

Default Sky broadband offer..

I am considering moving from Metronet to Sky broadband and wondered if it
might be best to wait a while to see what happens. Anyone got any ideas
about this?

--
"you're not supposed to be sleeping Hawkeye!"

"I'm not sleeping Radar, I'm just inspecting the insides of my eyelids!"

I'm a hero with coward's legs. - Spike Milligan.

Old August 6th 06, 02:24 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.telecom.broadband

Thus spaketh Bryan:
I am considering moving from Metronet to Sky broadband and wondered
if it might be best to wait a while to see what happens. Anyone got
any ideas about this?

It would be worth hanging on for a while, as it is predicted that others
will have to lower their prices too.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old August 6th 06, 07:44 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.telecom.broadband

In article , Bryan
wrote:

I am considering moving from Metronet to Sky broadband and wondered if it
might be best to wait a while to see what happens. Anyone got any ideas
about this?

Any move away from the PlusNet "group" would be eminently sensible in
view of their service meltdown and customer abuse. Sky though will tie
you into a long contract which is never a good idea for broadband (or
anything). That apart, I wouild expect SkyBB to be very good. They
can't afford to alienate their TV customers with bad BB.

Stan
Old August 6th 06, 09:23 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.telecom.broadband

"Stan The Man" wrote in message
In article , Bryan
wrote:

I am considering moving from Metronet to Sky broadband and wondered if it
might be best to wait a while to see what happens. Anyone got any ideas
about this?

Any move away from the PlusNet "group" would be eminently sensible in
view of their service meltdown and customer abuse. Sky though will tie
you into a long contract which is never a good idea for broadband (or
anything). That apart, I wouild expect SkyBB to be very good. They
can't afford to alienate their TV customers with bad BB.

Stan

Why ? they feed their customers crap bit rates and get away with it ( though
most wouldn't know a good picture if it fell on them ............)

Old August 6th 06, 11:16 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

I am considering moving from Metronet to Sky broadband and wondered if it
might be best to wait a while to see what happens. Anyone got any ideas
about this?

Any move away from the PlusNet "group" would be eminently sensible in
view of their service meltdown and customer abuse. Sky though will tie
you into a long contract which is never a good idea for broadband (or
anything). That apart, I wouild expect SkyBB to be very good. They
can't afford to alienate their TV customers with bad BB.

I have been a Sky subscriber since 1996/7 and don't mind being committed for
a while and 5 per month isn't much for BB.

What I will say is that they don't seem to be worried about alienating their
customers with endless repeats of certain programmes. As an example: on
National Geographic channel - Air Crash Investigation - Kid in the cockpit -
is being shown 2 or 3 times a week every week for months. Other programmes
in the series are the same.

Old August 7th 06, 09:06 AM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.telecom.broadband

"Bryan" wrote in message
I am considering moving from Metronet to Sky broadband and wondered if it
might be best to wait a while to see what happens. Anyone got any ideas
about this?

I'm thinking of switching from Plusnet to Sky but I'm struggling to
understand exactly what is on offer from Sky. I know the prices, the speeds
and the limits on downloads but.....

- There are five email addresses but how much space to store email?

- There is mention of space to store photos but not how much space.

- I don't see any mention of webspace at all. Is there any? How much?

- Newsgroup support?

- How is support provided? Is it all 0870 numbers and 60 minute queues on
hold? Can you see ticket status as easily as with Plusnet's online ticket
system or have you got to spend an hour on the phone and 6 in call costs
each time you want an update?

I'd like some answers to the above before jumping ship.

Old August 7th 06, 01:04 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.telecom.broadband

"Tiny Tim" . wrote in message
"Bryan" wrote in message
[...]

I just had my second call from Sky trying to rush me into signing up and
when I posed the questions above here were the responses....

- Email space - I didn't ask as I use an alternate email service so I don't
actually care what Sky includes.

- Photo storage space - No idea how much storage is provided.

- Webspace - Not sure. There is probably none provided.

- Newsgroups/Usenet - Almost certainly none provided.

- Support - all provided by 0870 numbers. No online ticket system. 0870
number is under review but right now that's what you'll have to put up with.

- Port blocking - some ports are blocked. No idea which though.

The CS rep was as helpful as he could be (he did reschedule my Sky HD
install) and did refer offline to try to get answers but basically it seems
like Sky really haven't got their act together at all on what the service
does include/exclude. I said I would not be signing up until they could
clarify answers to the above on their website and in writing before I made
my decision.

It seems like all you are really getting for certain is a connection to the
internet. Everything else is extremely vague.

Old August 7th 06, 01:41 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.telecom.broadband

I am considering moving from Metronet to Sky broadband and
wondered if it
might be best to wait a while to see what happens. Anyone got any

ideas
about this?

=====================================

Wait a very long time to see what happens. That is if you are ever
fully informed about what has happened.
=====================================

Old August 8th 06, 12:24 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.telecom.broadband

"Tiny Tim" . wrote:

[]
It seems like all you are really getting for certain is a connection to the
internet. Everything else is extremely vague.

I would be really interested to hear feedback when people have the sky
broadband service. I'm very interested in it because I can't get all the
digital stations in the flat I moved into (which is sky ready) and
wouldn't mind the basic package plus the 5 broadband package. I can't
find for certain whether or not they can offer me it yet as I haven't
got my BT phone number yet. I wouldn't get sky tv service unless I could
get the broadband offer too.

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old August 8th 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.tech.tv.sky,uk.telecom.broadband

David Horne, _the_ chancellor of the royal duchy of city south and
deansgate wrote:
"Tiny Tim" . wrote:

[]
It seems like all you are really getting for certain is a connection to the
internet. Everything else is extremely vague.

I would be really interested to hear feedback when people have the sky
broadband service. I'm very interested in it because I can't get all the
digital stations in the flat I moved into (which is sky ready) and
wouldn't mind the basic package plus the 5 broadband package. I can't
find for certain whether or not they can offer me it yet as I haven't
got my BT phone number yet. I wouldn't get sky tv service unless I could
get the broadband offer too.

Check www.samknows.com to see if your exchange has been LLU'd by
Easynet.

Sky will be using Easynet's network. If the exchange has not been, then
Sky can
only offer broadband via BT Wholesale, and that price will be 17
quid/month.