Help Wtd: Configuring Wireless Internet

Old August 6th 06, 07:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Help Wtd: Configuring Wireless Internet

Can anyone shed any light on my problem please?
I have a speedtouch 576 modem/router attached to the main pc and a
belkin 54g usb dongle attached to the other pc.
I am trying to access the internet from the pc with the belkin but
cannot get it to work.
The main pc has aol software on and is wirelessly configured but the
other pc although it does know that a wireless network exists will not
work properly.
I cannot get the tv icon thing on the bottom of the pc to go to blue
from red. I've rang Belkin help line a couple of times but to no avail.

Any ideas?
Also how do I find the WEP code on my main pc? where is it located?

Old August 6th 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

skint wrote:
Can anyone shed any light on my problem please?
I have a speedtouch 576 modem/router attached to the main pc and a
belkin 54g usb dongle attached to the other pc.
I am trying to access the internet from the pc with the belkin but
cannot get it to work.
The main pc has aol software on and is wirelessly configured but the
other pc although it does know that a wireless network exists will not
work properly.
I cannot get the tv icon thing on the bottom of the pc to go to blue
from red. I've rang Belkin help line a couple of times but to no avail.

Any ideas?
Also how do I find the WEP code on my main pc? where is it located?

You need to login to your router from your main pc, the one that presently
works.

to find out the address of your router, go to start, run, type cmd, and in
the black command screen type ipconfig. The 'default gateway' ip address is
that of your router.

Open internet explorer, and type in that address, ie, 192.168.1.1

In the configuration options, go to wireless, make sure it is enabled, if
you see an option for security encryption, disable it for the moment. Save
the settings, and reboot the router if it tells you, you need to.

Give it a few mins, go to the laptop, it is possible that now, the belkin
wireless connection will automatically connect, if it doesnt, double click,
and look for something similar to 'site survey', or 'scan for wireless
networks', it is common for networks to be named after the router, so in
this case, it might be called speedtouch.

If you see a wireless network, double click it, you should connect within
thirty seconds.

Does it work? You still need to enable your security, but if this works you
are 95% there.

Gaz

Old August 6th 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

belkin 54g usb dongle attached to the other pc.

Which version of the dongle have you got ? (it`ll say on the barcode on
the box) - I bought one a while ago (a "_v2") and it had the WRONG
DRIVERS in the box (it would appear Belkin are crap at figuring out
which drivers need to go in which boxes - especially when they've
released a new version that needs different drivers...)

Even with the correct drivers, the model I had experience of used its
own connection utility rather than the built in windows stuff.

Its also very prone to not working at all if there are any other radio
signals nearby - in the case I was trying to resolve (and could only
resolve on a temporary basis) the next door neighbour had a DECT phone
that would kill the internet connection.