Network Printing Help Needed

Old August 6th 06, 10:21 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Default Network Printing Help Needed

I have just purchased a Brother MFC 420CN Printer that I would like to
use for my home network. I have a Netgear Rangemax Wireless Router
that is connected to my DSL modem. The printer has a USB and a built
in network connection. I am however at a loss as to how to install
the printer so that I can print with it with my laptop through the
wireless connection. The Printer comes with an Internet Driver and a
Peer to peer driver. I've tried to install both but its not working.
Only the seletion of the USB port is seen by the Windows XP.
I run Windows-XP Professional. What drivers do I need and how do I
rig this up.

Thanks.
Old August 6th 06, 10:59 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

malam wrote in message

I have just purchased a Brother MFC 420CN Printer that I
would like to use for my home network. I have a Netgear
Rangemax Wireless Router that is connected to my DSL
modem. The printer has a USB and a built in network
connection. I am however at a loss as to how to install
the printer so that I can print with it with my laptop
through the wireless connection. The Printer comes with
an Internet Driver and a Peer to peer driver. I've tried
to install both but its not working. Only the seletion of
the USB port is seen by the Windows XP.
I run Windows-XP Professional. What drivers do I need
and how do I rig this up.

Does the printer have the ability to obtain an IP address from your
router's DHCP server..? Or can you assign it a fixed IP address within
your network..?

Ivor

Old August 7th 06, 06:05 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 22:59:37 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
wrote:

Yes, it has the capability to obtain an IP address. I noticed a
screen once that had a bunch of info including an IP address. I am
not sure what I did to get there , but maybe I can try again ?
Better still, I'll wait for your response.
Thanks.

Old August 7th 06, 10:08 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

malam wrote in message

Yes, it has the capability to obtain an IP address. I
noticed a screen once that had a bunch of info including
an IP address. I am not sure what I did to get there ,
but maybe I can try again ? Better still, I'll wait for
your response.

Hmm, I'm fishing a bit here, but does the printer appear in Windows' list
of printers..? If so, right click on it and selext Properties. Then select
the Sharing tab and make sure that is selected. Then select Ports and Add
A Port. Then select Standard TCP/IP port and follow the instructions in
the Wizard that appears.

Let me know if that works, if not I'll have to do some more head
scratching..!

Ivor
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old August 7th 06, 10:15 AM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

Soni tempori elseu romani yeof helsforo nisson ol sefini ill des Sun, 06 Aug
2006 17:21:03 -0400, sefini jorgo geanyet des mani yeof do
uk.comp.home-networking, yawatina tan reek esk malam fornis do marikano es
bono tan el:

Only the seletion of the USB port is seen by the Windows XP.

I have the same device. I plugged it into a wired network port on a switch,
then ran the installation CD, which installed everything I needed and it "just
worked", wireless or not. I didn't use the USB connection.

Does your router have network ports as well as a wireless connection?

deKay
--
Lofi Gaming - www.lofi-gaming.org.uk
"Frobert asked me today if we could buy matching gym clothes

Old August 7th 06, 08:14 PM posted to uk.comp.home-networking

I tried the setup suggested -does not work but I have some more
questions :

1. Do I select Internet or Peer -to- Peer connection ?
2.I have the following Ports showing up - Standard TCP/IP, Internet
Port, or IP 123.456.1.1 (the IP address of the router)
3. Does the Router have to have a Print Server function ? Mine is
Netgear WPN824 and it does not have a print server function.

Somehow the Firewall may also be a problem - how do I check. I
disabled for a while but makes no difference. I have Norton Personal
Firewall.

Thanks Guys.