Help request with USB Modem

Old August 6th 06, 08:39 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Help request with USB Modem

A little while back I noticed a message which gave "Jack and Jill"
instructions of how to set up a USB modem without using the installation disc.

My son's router has gone away for repair but to keep him going I have given
him a brand new USB modem which does have the installation disc.

I only want to do the absolute minumum with the his setup during this intrem
period so any advice that can be given wiould be appreciated.

DCB

Old August 6th 06, 09:13 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

I only want to do the absolute minumum with the his setup during this intrem
period so any advice that can be given wiould be appreciated.

Read the instructions first - sometimes plugging the USB device in
before installing the drivers can leave you with a knackered machine
that no longer wants to recognise the device at all !
Old August 6th 06, 09:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Sun, 6 Aug 2006 20:49:31 +0100, "mark eldon" wrote:

which modem is it ?

"David Bradley" wrote in message
.. .
A little while back I noticed a message which gave "Jack and Jill"
instructions of how to set up a USB modem without using the installation
disc.

My son's router has gone away for repair but to keep him going I have
given
him a brand new USB modem which does have the installation disc.

I only want to do the absolute minumum with the his setup during this
intrem
period so any advice that can be given wiould be appreciated.

DCB

Can't remember as it is in the post to him. However I failed to mention that
the operating system is Xp Pro which from the earlier posting on this subject
was just a case of configuring the dial up properties, nothing more than that
but what were those settings?

DCB
Old August 6th 06, 11:45 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On 6-Aug-2006, "mark eldon" wrote:

I only want to do the absolute minumum with the his setup

Ghost image the system, then you can roll back to just
as it was before.

Second best is to get a good installer/uninstaller, this
will also put you back to the pre-install state, reverse
registry changes etc. Only problem with system
changes may be "in use" locked files, but you can
get round this.

The advantage of the Ghost image is it is a complete
restore and works even if the system won't boot. But
you need a drive to image to. Had a dual boot setup
go pear shaped, unreadable HD, Ghost image restore
and back as it was.

I use a HD in a removable caddy, which I switch off
when the backup is complete. The restore works
fine, but do a defrag on the restored drive, it can
be quite fragmented. If you get a virus infection it's
often easier to restore from a pre-infection Ghost
image than to try and follow the virus removal
instructions.