LLU and Broadband Quality

Old August 7th 06, 12:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default LLU and Broadband Quality

I'm having difficulty understand LLU and broadband quality. With the amount
of information out there on the internet you may find it hard to understand
why but I think it may be down to having to wade through the amount of
information out there and only having a standard dial-up connection at
present.

I have moved from a cable area where I was getting 10MB to an area without
cable where the next door neighbour is only getting 512KB ADSL.

Obviously getting the standard BT line has been a nightmare. Why is it so
difficult and why do other providers have the right to hold onto the line.
Then they think its acceptable to hold onto the broadband at the property.
Ofcom should be ashamed of the system structure.

Anyway with the amount of new offers available I can bide my time before
commiting to a 12 month contract.

I don't understand the LLU and information that companies can put their own
equipment into the exchanges to provide better broadband.

As I understand it BT have upgraded my local exchange and I can get
broadband but because of the distance between my house and the exchange I
can only get 512KB. I believe other broadband providers can use these BT
lines for the broadband so it doesn't matter who I choose I will always get
512KB. But what is this about companies putting their own equipment into
these exchanges. Is this equipment newer and better than BT's so I could
get better than 512KB or will the speed be the same? If it is faster how do
I know which broadband providers have upgraded their equipment in the
exchange and how do i know which provider is fastest?

Any specific page links would be helpful.

Old August 7th 06, 02:50 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Jane T" wrote in message

I don't understand the LLU and information that companies can put their
own equipment into the exchanges to provide better broadband.

http://bbs.adslguide.org.uk/
Forums on all subjects ADSL related including ISP specific forums and a LLU
forum

As I understand it BT have upgraded my local exchange and I can get
broadband but because of the distance between my house and the exchange I
can only get 512KB. I believe other broadband providers can use these BT
lines for the broadband so it doesn't matter who I choose I will always
get 512KB. But what is this about companies putting their own equipment
into these exchanges. Is this equipment newer and better than BT's so I
could get better than 512KB or will the speed be the same? If it is
faster how do I know which broadband providers have upgraded their
equipment in the exchange and how do i know which provider is fastest?

Any specific page links would be helpful.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php
Enter your exchange details into the box and it will tell you if any company
has LLU equipment in your exchange.

Old August 7th 06, 07:14 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Jane T" wrote in message
[...]

If the supplier uses the BT DSLAM in the exchange then it is the same box,
and is still using the BT settings, so it will be the same.

the alternative is LLU or "local loop unbundling" - this is where the ISP or
telco just rents copper from BT and puts in their own DSLAM - and this could
be a different bit of kit, potentially using a different / better encoding
suchas ADSL2+.
So - if BT havent installed the latest "max" kit in your exchange, then
potentially an LLU provider could give you a higher speed.

Any specific page links would be helpful.

you already had the link for Samknows.....

Also - there are a few broadband providers around that dont use ADSL or
Cable so dont ignore alternatives - see this one as well:
http://www.ispreview.co.uk/broadband.shtml

--
Regards

- replace xyz with ntl