Free number questions

Old August 7th 06, 12:40 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Free number questions

I have signed up with sipgate.co.uk for a free number but I am a bit worried
to give it to all the friends except some close ones. My concerns a
1. Who issued these free numbers to sipgate, BT/NTL?
2. Should sipgate go under or change their policy, what will happen to our
"free" numbers? Can we buy it back from BT or NTL in this case?

Thx.

Old August 7th 06, 01:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thus spaketh Turandot:
I have signed up with sipgate.co.uk for a free number but I am a bit
worried to give it to all the friends except some close ones. My
concerns a
1. Who issued these free numbers to sipgate, BT/NTL?
2. Should sipgate go under or change their policy, what will happen
to our "free" numbers? Can we buy it back from BT or NTL in this case?

Thx.

The number is issued by Magrathea, there are many different companies
who issue numbers, however it is OFCOM who issues those numbers to them
in the first place.

There are procedures in place in case companies go belly up, I'm sure it
would be a case of migrating to another provider.

Caller ID units for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Old August 7th 06, 02:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
.uk...
Thus spaketh Turandot:
I have signed up with sipgate.co.uk for a free number but I am a bit
worried to give it to all the friends except some close ones. My
concerns a
1. Who issued these free numbers to sipgate, BT/NTL?
2. Should sipgate go under or change their policy, what will happen
to our "free" numbers? Can we buy it back from BT or NTL in this case?

Thx.

The number is issued by Magrathea, there are many different companies who
issue numbers, however it is OFCOM who issues those numbers to them in the
first place.

There are procedures in place in case companies go belly up, I'm sure it
would be a case of migrating to another provider.

Caller ID units for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

Do a Google on what happened when Atlantic Telecom went belly up in November
2001. There is NO obligation on any other supplier to take on your number,
it was weeks before some people had service restored!

Peter

Old August 7th 06, 02:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Peter Andrews wrote:
"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
.uk...
Thus spaketh Turandot:
I have signed up with sipgate.co.uk for a free number but I am a bit
worried to give it to all the friends except some close ones. My
concerns a
1. Who issued these free numbers to sipgate, BT/NTL?
2. Should sipgate go under or change their policy, what will happen
to our "free" numbers? Can we buy it back from BT or NTL in this case?

The number is issued by Magrathea, there are many different companies who
issue numbers, however it is OFCOM who issues those numbers to them in the
first place.

There are procedures in place in case companies go belly up, I'm sure it
would be a case of migrating to another provider.

Do a Google on what happened when Atlantic Telecom went belly up in November
2001. There is NO obligation on any other supplier to take on your number,
it was weeks before some people had service restored!

True, but the number would still be allocated to Magrathea (for example)
and so another company could potentially take it up fairly easily (as
opposed to the case that the range holder or the company hosting the
range goes belly up).
Old August 7th 06, 03:28 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Peter Andrews wrote:

Do a Google on what happened when Atlantic Telecom went belly up in November
2001. There is NO obligation on any other supplier to take on your number,
it was weeks before some people had service restored!

Remember it well - I wonder what procedures Oftel and now Ofcom have in
place to prevent the inevitable repeat?
Old August 9th 06, 12:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"{{{{{Welcome}}}}}" wrote in message
.uk...
The number is issued by Magrathea, there are many different companies
who issue numbers, however it is OFCOM who issues those numbers to them
in the first place.

There are procedures in place in case companies go belly up, I'm sure it
would be a case of migrating to another provider.

Caller ID units for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk

I read from here that you can port numbers from BT now:
http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php. Porting from other voip
providers like Sipgate is also possible. It's interesting to see how OFCOM
is going to protect both "our" numbers and sipgate's investment.

Old August 9th 06, 10:42 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Paul Cupis" wrote in message
Turandot wrote:
I read from here that you can port numbers from BT now:
http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php. Porting from other voip
providers like Sipgate is also possible.

It's interesting to see how OFCOM
is going to protect both "our" numbers and sipgate's investment.

Excuse me?

If we can take the phone numbers with us, porting to another provider,
sipgate will loose their investment on these numbers. Sipgate must have paid
a fee (monthly or annually??) to have these numbers, and from what I have
read from this group, many people are using the free sipgate numbers but not
their paid services, so will the porting fee (20 charged by gradwell) cover
their costs.

It might be possible to own a phone number (not the 077 ones) the same way
as we own a domain name in the future

Old August 10th 06, 12:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Turandot wrote:
"Paul Cupis" wrote in message
Turandot wrote:
I read from here that you can port numbers from BT now:
http://www.gradwell.com/voip/number_porting.php. Porting from other voip
providers like Sipgate is also possible.

It's interesting to see how OFCOM
is going to protect both "our" numbers and sipgate's investment.

Excuse me?

If we can take the phone numbers with us, porting to another provider,
sipgate will loose their investment on these numbers. Sipgate must have paid
a fee (monthly or annually??) to have these numbers, and from what I have
read from this group, many people are using the free sipgate numbers but not
their paid services, so will the porting fee (20 charged by gradwell) cover
their costs.

If a company ports a number to themselves, they typically contract with
the losing operator to pay them an amount (per minute or whatever)
ongoing to route the call to them. A losing operator does not have to
provide the porting service free of charge.

The number is still owned by the range holder, not the end user.

It might be possible to own a phone number (not the 077 ones) the same way
as we own a domain name in the future

Not under the current system. Numbers are "owned" by the range holders
as allocated by Ofcom, not but end users.