Switching NTL to ADSL ?

Old August 8th 06, 10:06 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Switching NTL to ADSL ?

Hi group,

Please be gentle!

I have just cancelled our NTL package and want to switch to ADSL.

The only caveats are that it has a free wireless router (House is feckin
awkward and not going to have the BT cable in the bedroom!)

Secondly it needs to be unlimited (No not for downloading but rather
uploading(New baby therefore hundreds of pics and at 10 days old 30 gig of
video for relatives already!))

Thanks

Alex

Old August 8th 06, 10:28 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Alex wrote:

Hi group,

Please be gentle!

I have just cancelled our NTL package and want to switch to ADSL.

The only caveats are that it has a free wireless router (House is feckin
awkward and not going to have the BT cable in the bedroom!)

Why free ? So-called 'free goodies' have to paid for by additional terms in your
contract you can't back out of. Consider buying a router yourself ! I did.

Secondly it needs to be unlimited (No not for downloading but rather
uploading(New baby therefore hundreds of pics and at 10 days old 30 gig of
video for relatives already!))

Take your pick, there are loads out there. What's your budget ? You tend to get
what you pay for btw.

Graham

Old August 8th 06, 10:41 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 09:06:09 GMT, "Alex"
wrote:

Hi group,

Please be gentle!

I have just cancelled our NTL package and want to switch to ADSL.

The only caveats are that it has a free wireless router (House is feckin
awkward and not going to have the BT cable in the bedroom!)

Secondly it needs to be unlimited (No not for downloading but rather
uploading(New baby therefore hundreds of pics and at 10 days old 30 gig of
video for relatives already!))

Thanks

Alex

Just some thoughts here. Usage limits usually apply between 8am and Midnight
so I why not do your uploading off peak? You will then have a greater choice
of ISPs to go with.

Why not consider getting your service to your PC using cat5 connectivity via
the domestic wiring - getting a strong reliable wireless signal in some houses
can be quite difficult and it would seem that your property may be one of
those. You could then use a bog standard router or even an ADSL modem!

Check with Sam to see if your local exchange has LLU as you might want to
consider an ADSL service via this route.

DCB
Old August 8th 06, 11:11 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Alex wrote:
Hi group,

Please be gentle!

I have just cancelled our NTL package and want to switch to ADSL.

The only caveats are that it has a free wireless router (House is feckin
awkward and not going to have the BT cable in the bedroom!)

Secondly it needs to be unlimited (No not for downloading but rather
uploading(New baby therefore hundreds of pics and at 10 days old 30 gig of
video for relatives already!))

Thanks

Alex

Hi,

If you're doing lots of uploading, then you'll want to get MaxDSL, as
you get faster upload speeds with that - up to 832kbps (as opposed to
256kbps), if you get "Max Premium", ?448?kbps otherwise.

If you don't do a great deal of /downloading/ during the day, then AAISP
could be perfect for you - they'll loan you a free (wired) router, or
you can buy a ZyXEL wireless router for £70 + VAT (or you could pop to
Tesco's and get a MicraDigital for ~£45 - cheap, nasty, does the trick).

A&A (www.aaisp.net.uk) are also the only decent ISP (support-wise) I've
found that offer Max Premium at a decent price (lowest price available
is £31.99 for Max-1 Premium). If you just want the Max Standard u/l,
then you can get Max-1 for £18.99

However, since you don't have existing ADSL, you would have to pay the
~£45 connection fee, which - + the wireless router - is quite a
significant start-up cost. If you don't want that, then you're probably
going to need to take a year's contract (A&A are a monthly contract) to
get the package deals, free connection, etc. Personally, I shy clear of
them but YMMV...

xF,

....Nick

Old August 8th 06, 05:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Alex wrote:
Hi group,

Please be gentle!

I have just cancelled our NTL package and want to switch to ADSL.

The only caveats are that it has a free wireless router (House is
feckin awkward and not going to have the BT cable in the bedroom!)

Secondly it needs to be unlimited (No not for downloading but rather
uploading(New baby therefore hundreds of pics and at 10 days old 30
gig of video for relatives already!))

I'm going to sit this one out Alex after this mornings tribulations ;-).

Just a query though - why did you ditch NTL ?. I have ditched NTL tv (for
Sky+) & phone but kept the BB which I also use now for VOIP - meaning my
landline calls are free and I do not pay monthly line rental.

Old August 8th 06, 05:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Alex wrote:
Hi group,

Please be gentle!

I have just cancelled our NTL package and want to switch to ADSL.

The only caveats are that it has a free wireless router (House is
feckin awkward and not going to have the BT cable in the bedroom!)

Why wireless? You can easily use your ring mains as a network
connection, with the right equipment of course & if your house is that
awkward there is a possibility that wifi may not be the way to go if
you reqire a rock steady connection. I've seen it work to good effect
with large awkward houses before now so don't rule it out...

Secondly it needs to be unlimited (No not for downloading but rather
uploading(New baby therefore hundreds of pics and at 10 days old 30
gig of video for relatives already!))

Shop carefully as many proclaim unlimited & then in very little print
go on about a unspecified fair user policy. The only one I can state
has a virtual unlimited usage does have a cap for peak time usage but
not for any off peak time (so far).

Can't tell you it's name as I would then lose what little credibility
I've still got around here (which isn't much anyway)...

Old August 9th 06, 09:59 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 17:21:08 +0100, "Resident Drunk"
wrote:

[snip]
Just a query though - why did you ditch NTL ?. I have ditched NTL tv (for
Sky+) & phone but kept the BB which I also use now for VOIP - meaning my
landline calls are free and I do not pay monthly line rental.

I am interested in doing the same.

I have already ditched NTLtv. Still have BB and ntl phone. I would
also ditch the ntl phone but my son wants to retain a phone connection
to the Sky+ box so that he can continue to use the various
subscription services like Box Office & Premiership Channel games.

That would be impossible over VOIP right?
Old August 9th 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip

No Spam wrote:
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 17:21:08 +0100, "Resident Drunk"
wrote:

[snip]
Just a query though - why did you ditch NTL ?. I have ditched NTL tv (for
Sky+) & phone but kept the BB which I also use now for VOIP - meaning my
landline calls are free and I do not pay monthly line rental.

I am interested in doing the same.

I have already ditched NTLtv. Still have BB and ntl phone. I would
also ditch the ntl phone but my son wants to retain a phone connection
to the Sky+ box so that he can continue to use the various
subscription services like Box Office & Premiership Channel games.

That would be impossible over VOIP right?

x-posted to uk.telecom.voip

Possible, I think - you can do (slow!) dial-up over VoIP... the only
potential problem would be getting the VoIP system to recognise the
telephone number dialed. Maybe some kind folk at uk.telecom.voip could
enlighten us?

xF,

....Nick
Old August 9th 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:55:26 +0100, Nicholas Thomas
wrote:

[snip]

Possible, I think - you can do (slow!) dial-up over VoIP... the only
potential problem would be getting the VoIP system to recognise the
telephone number dialed. Maybe some kind folk at uk.telecom.voip could
enlighten us?

My understanding is that Sky call up the Sky+ box and download the
data related to the charges that have accrued since the last time Sky
called in.
Old August 9th 06, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip

No Spam wrote:
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:55:26 +0100, Nicholas Thomas
wrote:

[snip]
Possible, I think - you can do (slow!) dial-up over VoIP... the only
potential problem would be getting the VoIP system to recognise the
telephone number dialed. Maybe some kind folk at uk.telecom.voip could
enlighten us?

My understanding is that Sky call up the Sky+ box and download the
data related to the charges that have accrued since the last time Sky
called in.

The Sky box (not sure about sky+ boxes, mind) initiate the call, to an
0800 number, using a standard analogue modem.

'tis worth a try, at any rate

xF,

....Nick