extending wifi signal?

Old August 8th 06, 11:33 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default extending wifi signal?

Sorry if this is a bit offtopic, but thanks to BT's incompetence, I'm
currently getting my internet access at the moment while sitting on my
balcony, using BT openzone, though one of the several dozen wifi signals
I can pick up is open and I have used that too. I can only get those
signals on the balcony. I've just moved, and have a belkin wireless
access point (not a router) at the old address. Is there any way this
could be used as a repeater to extend the signal into the flat? I forget
the exact model number, but it's the smallish model with two aerials.
Or, is there another piece of equipment that could make this possible?
My computer is a MacBook if that makes any difference. I'm only looking
for a temporary solution, if one is available- I'll _eventually_ get
broadband at home when BT pull their finger out.

Thanks in advance,

David

--
David Horne- http://www.davidhorne.net
http://homepage.mac.com/davidhornecomposer http://soundjunction.org
Old August 8th 06, 10:52 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

David Horne wrote in news:1hjr17g.zr5l5q1ky953xN%

I've just moved, and have a belkin wireless
access point (not a router) at the old address. Is there any way this
could be used as a repeater to extend the signal into the flat? I forget
the exact model number, but it's the smallish model with two aerials.

This worked for me but I cannot promise it will work for you, so, at your
own risk...

I took a Belkin F5D7130 Access Point and flashed it with the firmware for a
Belkin F5D7330 Bridge.

The 'bridge' can sit on your balcony, and you can connect to it with a
suitable length network cable. Signal reception on mine is ace!

The best bit is, I can re-flash the unit with the original firmware and no
apparent damage has been done.

As I said though - entirely at your own risk.