Switching NTL to ADSL ?

Old August 9th 06, 11:55 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip

Default Switching NTL to ADSL ?

No Spam wrote:
On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 17:21:08 +0100, "Resident Drunk"
wrote:

[snip]
Just a query though - why did you ditch NTL ?. I have ditched NTL tv (for
Sky+) & phone but kept the BB which I also use now for VOIP - meaning my
landline calls are free and I do not pay monthly line rental.

I am interested in doing the same.

I have already ditched NTLtv. Still have BB and ntl phone. I would
also ditch the ntl phone but my son wants to retain a phone connection
to the Sky+ box so that he can continue to use the various
subscription services like Box Office & Premiership Channel games.

That would be impossible over VOIP right?

x-posted to uk.telecom.voip

Possible, I think - you can do (slow!) dial-up over VoIP... the only
potential problem would be getting the VoIP system to recognise the
telephone number dialed. Maybe some kind folk at uk.telecom.voip could
enlighten us?

xF,

....Nick
Old August 9th 06, 12:58 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:55:26 +0100, Nicholas Thomas
wrote:

[snip]

Possible, I think - you can do (slow!) dial-up over VoIP... the only
potential problem would be getting the VoIP system to recognise the
telephone number dialed. Maybe some kind folk at uk.telecom.voip could
enlighten us?

My understanding is that Sky call up the Sky+ box and download the
data related to the charges that have accrued since the last time Sky
called in.
Old August 9th 06, 01:16 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 12:58:44 +0100, No Spam wrote:

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:55:26 +0100, Nicholas Thomas
wrote:

[snip]

Possible, I think - you can do (slow!) dial-up over VoIP... the only
potential problem would be getting the VoIP system to recognise the
telephone number dialed. Maybe some kind folk at uk.telecom.voip could
enlighten us?

My understanding is that Sky call up the Sky+ box and download the
data related to the charges that have accrued since the last time Sky
called in.

I think you will find that the Sky box calls up Sky.

Old August 9th 06, 01:25 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip

No Spam wrote:
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:55:26 +0100, Nicholas Thomas
wrote:

[snip]
Possible, I think - you can do (slow!) dial-up over VoIP... the only
potential problem would be getting the VoIP system to recognise the
telephone number dialed. Maybe some kind folk at uk.telecom.voip could
enlighten us?

My understanding is that Sky call up the Sky+ box and download the
data related to the charges that have accrued since the last time Sky
called in.

The Sky box (not sure about sky+ boxes, mind) initiate the call, to an
0800 number, using a standard analogue modem.

'tis worth a try, at any rate

xF,

....Nick
Old August 9th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband,uk.telecom.voip

Thus spaketh No Spam:
On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:55:26 +0100, Nicholas Thomas

[snip]

telephone number dialed. Maybe some kind folk at uk.telecom.voip
could enlighten us?

My understanding is that Sky call up the Sky+ box and download the
data related to the charges that have accrued since the last time Sky
called in.

Sky sends a signal over the satellite for the Sky box to phone home on
an 0800 number now and then, this is so their system can be updated with
what box office events and films you have ordered and watched.

Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk