best modem/router for NTL

Old August 9th 06, 06:06 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default best modem/router for NTL

Hi guy's

I've been charged with getting my uncle wireless therefore can anyone assist
me with the right modem/router for his new to be aquired laptop and current
P.C (which I guess would be wired into it as the 'master' ?

Any help advice most welcome

Cheers

Richard

Old August 9th 06, 09:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

r.bartlett wrote:
Hi guy's

I've been charged with getting my uncle wireless therefore can
anyone
assist me with the right modem/router for his new to be aquired
laptop and current P.C (which I guess would be wired into it as the
'master' ?
Any help advice most welcome

First pointer, you wont require a modem, it's been years since they
allowed (in fact recommended) users get their own equipment. So what
you will require is a wifi Ethernet router.

Personally out of the budget ranges I'd go for Netgear, I had little
trouble with using their kit when I was with NTL...

Go & have browse on their site (www.netgear.com if you can't think of
it) & have a look at what they're offering nowadays

Old August 9th 06, 10:59 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"r.bartlett" wrote in message

Hi guy's

I've been charged with getting my uncle wireless
therefore can anyone assist me with the right
modem/router for his new to be aquired laptop and current
P.C (which I guess would be wired into it as the 'master'
?
Any help advice most welcome

Do you want VoIP capability..? If so the AVM Fritz!Box WLAN7050 is hard to
beat: www.avm.de/en

Ivor

Old August 10th 06, 06:57 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"r.bartlett" wrote in message

Hi guy's

I've been charged with getting my uncle wireless
therefore can anyone assist me with the right
modem/router for his new to be aquired laptop and current
P.C (which I guess would be wired into it as the 'master'
?
Any help advice most welcome

Do you want VoIP capability..? If so the AVM Fritz!Box WLAN7050 is hard to
beat: www.avm.de/en

Ivor

I don't know what VoIP is so we're unsure if we need it. Basically he just
wants to wireless a pc so he can sit in front of the tv and write emails
etc.

Should I go to NTL and buy direct from them whats needed if they don't like
you having your own kit??

Cheers

Richard

Old August 10th 06, 09:10 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 05:57:08 GMT, "r.bartlett"
wrote:

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"r.bartlett" wrote in message

Hi guy's

I've been charged with getting my uncle wireless
therefore can anyone assist me with the right
modem/router for his new to be aquired laptop and current
P.C (which I guess would be wired into it as the 'master'
?
Any help advice most welcome

Do you want VoIP capability..? If so the AVM Fritz!Box WLAN7050 is hard to
beat: www.avm.de/en

Ivor

I don't know what VoIP is so we're unsure if we need it. Basically he just
wants to wireless a pc so he can sit in front of the tv and write emails
etc.

Should I go to NTL and buy direct from them whats needed if they don't like
you having your own kit??

The modem that was supplied to a friend had both USB and an ethernet
connector, all we did was disconnect the usb (main computer) add a
wireless accesspoint with 4 ports, connected the main computer by
ethernet and the laptop on the wireless.

We had odd problem, but they did not mind when we called that we had
connected our own equipment.

Old August 10th 06, 09:34 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

r.bartlett wrote:
"Ivor Jones" wrote in message
"r.bartlett" wrote in message

Hi guy's

I've been charged with getting my uncle wireless
therefore can anyone assist me with the right
modem/router for his new to be aquired laptop and current
P.C (which I guess would be wired into it as the 'master'
?
Any help advice most welcome

Do you want VoIP capability..? If so the AVM Fritz!Box WLAN7050 is
hard to beat: www.avm.de/en

Ivor

I don't know what VoIP is so we're unsure if we need it. Basically
he
just wants to wireless a pc so he can sit in front of the tv and
write emails etc.

Should I go to NTL and buy direct from them whats needed if they
don't like you having your own kit??

Cheers

They don't mind what you use after the CM/set top box (if they are
still installing them), that's down to you, but they may not support
the kit if you have a problem. Last time I looked they were offering
Linksys equipment, which personally I wouldn't touch with a barge pole
(old history) but having said that they still didn't support it if you
had a problem (go figure)..

Old August 10th 06, 01:29 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"r.bartlett" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

[snip]

Do you want VoIP capability..? If so the AVM Fritz!Box
WLAN7050 is hard to beat: www.avm.de/en

I don't know what VoIP is so we're unsure if we need it.
Basically he just wants to wireless a pc so he can sit in
front of the tv and write emails etc.

Voice over Internet Protocol. Basically there are a couple of phone
sockets on the back of the device and you can set up accounts with various
providers (ranging from free to a tenner a month) for extra phone numbers
where the call is carried over the broadband connection. Ask in
uk.telecom.voip for more info.

Should I go to NTL and buy direct from them whats needed
if they don't like you having your own kit??

Only if you like NTL.

Ivor

Old August 10th 06, 08:04 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 17:06:34 +0000, r.bartlett wrote:

Hi guy's

I've been charged with getting my uncle wireless therefore can anyone assist
me with the right modem/router for his new to be aquired laptop and current
P.C (which I guess would be wired into it as the 'master' ?

Any help advice most welcome

Cheers

Richard

I've been using Linksys wrt54gs router for more than 8 months now, bought
it when PCWorld has the combo (with wusb54gs) for £50 .. in fact, PC
World still have that combo package for the same price.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/852034

Have no problem with my three PCs connected directly, a notebook, a
printer and a PDA connected wirelessly to the router.

Old August 13th 06, 03:01 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"r.bartlett" wrote in message

"Ivor Jones" wrote in message

Should I go to NTL and buy direct from them whats needed
if they don't like you having your own kit??

Only if you like NTL.

NTL will provide the modem as part of the installation. Dabs and others are
reliable sources of cable/DSL routers.

--
Jock

Old August 13th 06, 07:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"kráftéé" wrote:
They don't mind what you use after the CM/set top box (if they are still
installing them), that's down to you, but they may not support the kit if
you have a problem. Last time I looked they were offering Linksys
equipment, which personally I wouldn't touch with a barge pole (old
history)

I've always had good experience with Linksys, who I believe are the 'home
user' brandname for cisco kit.