DNS Failures?

Old August 9th 06, 09:07 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default DNS Failures?

Has anyone else noticed a massive increase in the last 4 months or so
of DNS lookup failures? Is this a net-wide phenomenon or limited to
one or 2 isps? (Virgin.net/NTL/Whatever they're called this week in my
case.)

I have even had confirmation - unofficially - that it's causing my
isp's tech support personnel issues too. DNS is fundamental to the way
we use the internet, if the isp can't even get that right, what hope
is there?

--
The Supreme Court has ruled that there cannot be a Nativity
Scene in Washington, DC this Christmas season. This isn't for
Old August 9th 06, 09:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Chip wrote:
Has anyone else noticed a massive increase in the last 4 months or so
of DNS lookup failures? Is this a net-wide phenomenon or limited to
one or 2 isps? (Virgin.net/NTL/Whatever they're called this week in my
case.)

I have even had confirmation - unofficially - that it's causing my
isp's tech support personnel issues too. DNS is fundamental to the way
we use the internet, if the isp can't even get that right, what hope
is there?

I run my own, and never have any trouble

xF,

....Nick
Old August 9th 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Nicholas Thomas" wrote in
message ...

I run my own, and never have any trouble

What are you using?

Old August 9th 06, 09:42 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Tx2 wrote:
"Nicholas Thomas" wrote in
message ...

I run my own, and never have any trouble

What are you using?

BIND 9.

Works as a caching-only nameserver OOTB, and you can poison (e.g.)
Google, Altavista, etc. if you want to as well

Not much point unless other people use it as well, though...

xF,

....Nick

(Treewalk is meant to be good for Windows, BTW)
Old August 9th 06, 09:44 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Nicholas Thomas" wrote in
message ...

(Treewalk is meant to be good for Windows, BTW)

Yes, I've used it, but I kept getting a general error with the .exe at
start-up, so I dumped it.
Looking for a Windows soft alternative as I have no intention of going down
the *nix or hardware route.

Old August 9th 06, 09:46 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Tx2 wrote:
"Nicholas Thomas" wrote in
message ...

(Treewalk is meant to be good for Windows, BTW)

Yes, I've used it, but I kept getting a general error with the .exe at
start-up, so I dumped it.
Looking for a Windows soft alternative as I have no intention of going down
the *nix or hardware route.

Well, BIND does run under windows, IIRC. Not supposed to be as good,
though.

Anything beyond that is out of my scope, unfortunately

xF,

....Nick
Old August 9th 06, 09:53 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 20:42:34 +0100,it is alleged that Nicholas Thomas
spake thusly in
uk.telecom.broadband:

[snip]

(Treewalk is meant to be good for Windows, BTW)

Last time I used it, it was. If the errors continue I might have to
dig out the installer again.

Old August 10th 06, 09:19 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 19:34:03 UTC, Nicholas Thomas
wrote:

I have even had confirmation - unofficially - that it's causing my
isp's tech support personnel issues too. DNS is fundamental to the way
we use the internet, if the isp can't even get that right, what hope
is there?

I run my own, and never have any trouble

Same here! :-) Mind, I use it to provide DNS for my own domains too.
euthanasia recommended. ]

Can I ask how you provide your own DNS?

Old August 10th 06, 12:54 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

I have even had confirmation - unofficially - that it's causing my
isp's tech support personnel issues too. DNS is fundamental to the way
we use the internet, if the isp can't even get that right, what hope
is there?
I run my own, and never have any trouble

Same here! :-) Mind, I use it to provide DNS for my own domains too.
euthanasia recommended. ]

Can I ask how you provide your own DNS?

First you need to get a domain name, then tell the domain registrar to
forward all DNS queries to your DNS server (procedure varies between
companies & registrars - don't forget to ask for 'glue'!) -- generally
you'll need to have a secondary DNS server, as well (lots of places
offer this service for a small fee, a few offer it for free, or you can
cheat and try giving it the same address twice).

Then you install BIND and set up the appropriate zone files for the
subdomains, etc. that you want.

In all, it's a bit of a pain . Google is your friend.

xF,

....Nick

Old August 10th 06, 02:05 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Nicholas Thomas" wrote in
message ...
| Aosmosis wrote:
| "Bob Eager" wrote in message
| On Wed, 9 Aug 2006 19:34:03 UTC, Nicholas Thomas
| wrote:
|
| I have even had confirmation - unofficially - that it's causing my
| isp's tech support personnel issues too. DNS is fundamental to the way
| we use the internet, if the isp can't even get that right, what hope
| is there?
| I run my own, and never have any trouble
| Same here! :-) Mind, I use it to provide DNS for my own domains too.
| --
| [ 7'ism - a condition by which the sufferer experiences an inability
| to give concise answers, express reasoned argument or opinion.
| Usually accompanied by silly noises and gestures - incurable, early
| euthanasia recommended. ]
|

| Can I ask how you provide your own DNS?
|

| First you need to get a domain name, then tell the domain registrar to
| forward all DNS queries to your DNS server (procedure varies between
| companies & registrars - don't forget to ask for 'glue'!) -- generally
| you'll need to have a secondary DNS server, as well (lots of places
| offer this service for a small fee, a few offer it for free, or you can
| cheat and try giving it the same address twice).
|
| Then you install BIND and set up the appropriate zone files for the
| subdomains, etc. that you want.
|
| In all, it's a bit of a pain . Google is your friend.
|
| xF,
|
| ...Nick

Or you could look at a simple solution like treewalk
http://ntcanuck.com/