Best codec for using a modem on

Old August 9th 06, 05:34 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Default Best codec for using a modem on

Hi all,
I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread. It`s
going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this message of course
:-)

Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other modem use,
on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory please?

Thanks!

Old August 9th 06, 06:10 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thus spaketh Simon Finnigan:
Hi all,
I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this
message of course :-)

Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other
modem use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory
please?

Thanks!

More than likely be G711a

--
Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
Old August 10th 06, 12:43 AM posted to uk.telecom.voip

"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
Hi all,
I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this message of
course :-)

Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other modem
use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory please?

Thanks!

Has anyone succeeded in getting a Sky box to communicate via VoIP?
My tests have all been failures.

--
Graham
%Profound_observation%

Old August 11th 06, 02:57 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Simon Finnigan wrote:
Cheers. it came with G711u as standard, just changed to a. Will see if it
makes a difference to call quality for me now.

You also need to

turn off echo cancellation
Set `Jitter Buffer Adjustment` to disable

I'd also be tempted to set `Use Pref Codec Only` to yes - just to
makesure your service provider doesn't try to setup a call using another
codec.

'Network Jitter Level' set to high (or higher) may help too.

On a sipura device, use a 3.xx firmware. Infact, I don't think those
settings exist in 2.xx

I've not used a sky box, but I have in the past had our PDQ machine
running with a gradwell account.

Tim
Old August 11th 06, 03:22 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Tim wrote:

I've not used a sky box, but I have in the past had our PDQ machine
running with a gradwell account.

Tim

Coo. Which PDQ?

I had a brief try with one (failed miserably) but I thought it was worth
a shot when I read the modem specs.
Old August 11th 06, 03:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Thomas Kenyon wrote:
Coo. Which PDQ?

hypercom something.

Tim
Old August 11th 06, 04:02 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Tim wrote:
Thomas Kenyon wrote:
Coo. Which PDQ?

hypercom something.

Tim

Probably the same type, I'll have another go.
Old August 11th 06, 07:08 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Graham wrote:
"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
Hi all,
I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this
message of course :-)

Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other
modem use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory
please? Thanks!

Has anyone succeeded in getting a Sky box to communicate via VoIP?
My tests have all been failures.

So far I`ve had no joy. It dials out, and I can hear the two systems trying
to sunchronise. They don`t seem to get off to a good start. `ll keep
playing with settings, maybe even dig out a modem :-)

Old August 11th 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

on 11/08/2006, Simon Finnigan supposed :
Graham wrote:
"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
Hi all,
I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the thread.
It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post this
message of course :-)

Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other
modem use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory
please? Thanks!

Has anyone succeeded in getting a Sky box to communicate via VoIP?
My tests have all been failures.

So far I`ve had no joy. It dials out, and I can hear the two systems trying
to sunchronise. They don`t seem to get off to a good start. `ll keep
playing with settings, maybe even dig out a modem :-)

Which VoIP service provider are you using - not all are equal!

Old August 11th 06, 10:23 PM posted to uk.telecom.voip

Graham wrote:
"Simon Finnigan" wrote in message
Hi all,
I`ve seen this discussed in a thread here, but can`t find the
thread. It`s going to smack me in the face 2 seconds after I post
this message of course :-)

Someone told me of the best codec to use for a Sky box, or other
modem use, on a Linksys PAP2. Anyone care to refresh my memory
please? Thanks!

Has anyone succeeded in getting a Sky box to communicate via VoIP?
My tests have all been failures.

So far I`ve had no joy. It dials out, and I can hear the two
systems trying to sunchronise. They don`t seem to get off to a good
start. `ll keep playing with settings, maybe even dig out a modem
:-)

Which VoIP service provider are you using - not all are equal!

Currently trying it on voip.co.uk

codec > uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 2 March 6th 06 09:25 AM
Which Codec? the hamiltons uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 1 January 21st 06 01:41 PM
preferred codec? Lee uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 2 July 27th 05 04:20 PM
Which codec corresponds to GSM? Henry F III uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 0 July 14th 05 09:18 AM
Best Quality Codec For IAX2 Phil uk.telecom.voip (UK VOIP) 2 May 23rd 05 01:00 AM