info

Old August 10th 06, 10:20 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default info

Hi.
Please be patient reading, I am Italian and my English is far to be
fluent.
At the begining of September I'll be moving to England (Cambridge).
I am interested in a broadband connection (over a land line, I
suppose).
Any suggestion? I looked at BT web site but I can't understand their
offer.
I could be wrong but it seems it doesn't exist any offer without a
monthly usage limit.
I am simply interested in web surfering, pop3 and voip.
Which provider would you choose if you were in my shoes?
I don't want to use any router/hub from the provider but mine.

Thanks.
Cristiano

Old August 10th 06, 11:00 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi.
Please be patient reading, I am Italian and my English is far to be
fluent.
At the begining of September I'll be moving to England (Cambridge).
I am interested in a broadband connection (over a land line, I
suppose).
Any suggestion? I looked at BT web site but I can't understand their
offer.
I could be wrong but it seems it doesn't exist any offer without a
monthly usage limit.
I am simply interested in web surfering, pop3 and voip.
Which provider would you choose if you were in my shoes?
I don't want to use any router/hub from the provider but mine.

Thanks.
Cristiano

Have a look at http://www.waitrose.com/web_access/index.asp
Waitrose is the premium UK supermarket group and have the best reputation
for customer service.

Old August 10th 06, 11:02 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi.
Please be patient reading, I am Italian and my English is far to be
fluent.
At the begining of September I'll be moving to England (Cambridge).
I am interested in a broadband connection (over a land line, I
suppose).
Any suggestion? I looked at BT web site but I can't understand their
offer.
I could be wrong but it seems it doesn't exist any offer without a
monthly usage limit.
I am simply interested in web surfering, pop3 and voip.
Which provider would you choose if you were in my shoes?
I don't want to use any router/hub from the provider but mine.

Well first and foremost if you want adsl you will need a telephone line.
Most providers require you to have a BT line. This works out to about 10
ish I think.
So when you move to your new accommodation you will need to get in touch
with BT to put the phone into your name. That usually happens the same day
by 6pm if the premises already has a BT line. After that you can order your
adsl which can take up to 10 days to activate. So there will be a short
time when you won't have your adsl connection. Some isps offer a dial up
number you can use while your adsl is underway, but watch for phone charges.
Off peak its 1penny per minute (after 6pm) peak during the day is 5p per
minute, so the costs can be quite pricey if you are online constantly.
Do you know if the house you are moving to already has a BT line?

Old August 10th 06, 11:05 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:
At the begining of September I'll be moving to England (Cambridge).

Cambridge is a big place, and there are also two telephone exchanges called
Cambridge.

One is near the river Severn, on the M5, near Wales (Gloucestershire, GL2 7AF).
I am assuming that you do not mean this one.

The other is in Cambridgeshire (CB2 3ET). I am assuming you mean this area.
Depending on where in Cambridge you are, you may be connected to:

Histon
Girton
Cambridge Science Park
Cambridge Central
Teversham
Cherry Hinton
Trumpington
Madingley
Comberton
Fulbourn
(and several others further out of town)

To find out which exchange you are likely to be connected to, you need to know
the postcode of where you are moving to. Put it into the ADSL Availability
checker at
www.samknows.com

I am interested in a broadband connection (over a land line, I
suppose).

In that area, there is the alternative of broadband delivered over the Cable TV
network, which is operated by NTL.

You will get a lot of different opinions on NTL from this group ranging from
praise to horror stories.

Any suggestion? I looked at BT web site but I can't understand their
offer.

Quite a lot of people do not understand most of the information that BT provide.

BT have two functions in this game.

Firstly, they own the telephone wiring over which broadband is carried. In the
UK, this part of BT is now known as BT OpenReach (or just 'OpenReach')

BT Also offer internet connectivity through BT Retail.

If you have a telephone line provided by BT OpenReach, you do NOT have to use BT
Retail services. BT's ATM network is used by virtually every broadband service
provider and you can order that from the service provider, not BT. Openreach
can also connect their end of the wires to another provider's equipment in the
telephone exchange (called 'Local Loop Unbundling, or LLU).

Both Bulldog and Easynet have service available in the Cambridge central
exchange; By the time you get here, Carphone Warehouse will also have service
available.

I could be wrong but it seems it doesn't exist any offer without a
monthly usage limit.

Indeed. Some providers do have small limits. Others have larger limits. There
appears to be no true 'unlimited' service any more, although by reading the
details on the package you choose, you can probably find a package that fits
your requirements. Some providers only count usage during the day, others have
a different way of counting 'peak' traffic.

I am simply interested in web surfering, pop3 and voip.

Assuming that is all, you are probably not looking at using more than a few
gigabytes a month. If you do download the occasional really big thing (like a
linux distribution) you may want to choose a provider with a 'off peak' time
where that usage does not count towards your limit.

Which provider would you choose if you were in my shoes?

There are too many to choose from. I recently jumped from Demon into AAISP, but
my broadband needs are not necessarily the same as yours (I have rather too many
machines, not all of them PCs, and all of my traffic tends to be outside office
hours).

I don't want to use any router/hub from the provider but mine.

If you already have equipment, is it compatible with UK Broadband standards
(ADSL G.DMT). Many providers consider 'free modem' offers to be a marketing
advantage for them, although in my opinion, any ADSL device that connects via
USB is a waste of silicon.

Jim

PS, is 'Web surfering' what happens when you try and read a page in Firefox that
is sufficiently broken to only render in IE?