Cheap broadband provider

Old August 10th 06, 11:15 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Default Cheap broadband provider

Can anyone please suggest a ADSL provider that is cheap, and has a 1
month contract, and if possible no, or a small, set-up fee. Hardware
not required.

--
Cheers

Peter

Please remove the invalid to reply
Old August 10th 06, 01:19 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

"Peter" wrote in message
Can anyone please suggest a ADSL provider that is cheap, and has a 1
month contract, and if possible no, or a small, set-up fee. Hardware
not required.

--
Cheers

Peter

Please remove the invalid to reply

I'm glad you said "suggest" and not "recommend".
The ISP you're already with meets most if not all of your criteria.
But hey - there are other considerations, as you are probably very aware...
;-)
George

Old August 10th 06, 01:30 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter wrote:

Can anyone please suggest a ADSL provider that is cheap, and has a 1
month contract, and if possible no, or a small, set-up fee. Hardware
not required.

How cheap ?

I'm moving to Idnet after difficulties with Plusnet. They're a couple of quid
more expensive at 17.99 but look how well they compare at
http://adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp

Idnet do indeed have a 1 month contract and offer free migration ( even from LLU
which is still very rare ).

Graham

Old August 10th 06, 01:32 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Eeyore wrote:

Peter wrote:

Can anyone please suggest a ADSL provider that is cheap, and has a 1
month contract, and if possible no, or a small, set-up fee. Hardware
not required.

How cheap ?

I'm moving to Idnet after difficulties with Plusnet. They're a couple of quid
more expensive at 17.99 but look how well they compare at
http://adslguide.org.uk/isps/compare.asp

Idnet do indeed have a 1 month contract and offer free migration ( even from LLU
which is still very rare ).

They also answer the phones promptly btw ! Something you may have had a problem with
! ;~)

Graham

Old August 10th 06, 01:56 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:19:46 +0100, "George Weston"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
Can anyone please suggest a ADSL provider that is cheap, and has a 1
month contract, and if possible no, or a small, set-up fee. Hardware
not required.

--
Cheers

Peter

Please remove the invalid to reply

I'm glad you said "suggest" and not "recommend".
The ISP you're already with meets most if not all of your criteria.
But hey - there are other considerations, as you are probably very aware...
;-)
George

Hi george,

My ISP is actually Bulldog, I just haven't got around to changing the
email address in the header!

I don't want Bulldog as my second ISP (I wnat broadband service in
work) and would prefer someone cheap and cheerful for what will be
limited use.

Old August 10th 06, 02:03 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 11:15:35 +0100, Peter
wrote:

Can anyone please suggest a ADSL provider that is cheap, and has a 1
month contract, and if possible no, or a small, set-up fee. Hardware
not required.

_If_ you are migrating from another ASDL provider, AOL fits the bill.
14.99 a month
no minimum contract
no setup fees
Caveat: their support does not quite range up with the best. :-)

[L.]
Old August 10th 06, 03:12 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

Peter wrote:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:19:46 +0100, "George Weston"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

You want an ISP for a *business* account ?

Graham

Old August 10th 06, 07:21 PM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:12:51 +0100, Eeyore
wrote:

Peter wrote:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:19:46 +0100, "George Weston"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

No, I want it for use in my place of work. Mt works internet access
severely prohibits what i may access/download etc. I want to be able
to access the internet from my place of work on my terms

Old August 11th 06, 12:04 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Peter wrote:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:19:46 +0100, "George Weston"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Is it a business address with a business phone line ? Stop buggering about FFS !

Graham

Old August 11th 06, 12:29 AM posted to uk.telecom.broadband

wrote:

Peter wrote:

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 13:19:46 +0100, "George Weston"
wrote:

"Peter" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Unless you are self employed, or your company grants you permission for
'private' use of their telephone and computer systems, then it is unlikely
that you will be able to get what you are asking - how will get a private
telephone line installed that bypasses their telephone exchange without them
knowing for instance?

If you are employed by a company, then they restrict internet access to
their staff for some very good reasons - so why would you expect them to
allow *YOU* sole private access to the internet over the rest of their
workforce?

Surely, if your employer considers you an essential user of the internet,
then why not ask them, or your IT bods, to grant you greater permissions to
access material relevant to your job?

BTW, as a matter of interest, if you are doing this *without* your firms
permission and they get to hear about it, it is very likely that you will be
picking up your P45 as the result of a rather rapid 'dishonourable
discharge' from them for gross misconduct - or even the theft of their
electricity.

Take care

Brian G